Osh is a Legend

Floyd

I believe MOS’ contract is up....so now what you do what Mack did with a LaPo as HC after he limped into the 2011 Cup. Give him an extension....he starts out poorly and you gun him 5 games in? That is assuming there is even a viable replacement on the staff then.

2 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I believe MOS’ contract is up....so now what you do what Mack did with a LaPo as HC after he limped into the 2011 Cup. Give him an extension....he starts out poorly and you gun him 5 games in? That is assuming there is even a viable replacement on the staff then.

O'Shea is in control of this situation really as a free agent.  There are at least 3 teams that need a head coach including the Bombers, and he is for sure the #1 choice of two of them (Bombers and Argos).  I doubt he has much interest in the Ottawa job, unless it becomes a GM/Head Coach job and he's into that.  Much different situation than Lapolice.

1 minute ago, DR. CFL said:

While I appreciate all the love for MOS.....but it isn’t clear to me how one playoff win in his tenure here makes him such a hot commodity?  This is a result based BUSINESS.

And his team has more wins than any non Calgary team the last while. Thinking oshea has poor results is a grass is greener thing. 

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Predicting Lapo to Ottawa and Rick Campbell to Winnipeg if Osh isn’t kept around

I'm predicting neither one will get close to being a head coach again, especially Lapo.  Campbell is a Maas level bonehead in-game and the way that team has turned on him this year is an epic meltdown we haven't seen in a long, long time.  Like worse than Burke or Berry meltdowns here. 

Those are three guys that will have a hard time getting another head coaching job (Lapo, Campbell, Maas), especially as the GM ranks turn over to new eyes.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Predicting Lapo to Ottawa and Rick Campbell to Winnipeg if Osh isn’t kept around

You think they cut Campbell after this year? Hmm, that's seems pretty harsh. I would assume he has a longer leash given the state of the quarterbacking that he's been given. Also, there will be several QBs available this off-season like last year for them to go after. 

I guess it depends on how the team is responding to him, if he's "lost" the locker room. 

5 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

While I appreciate all the love for MOS.....but it isn’t clear to me how one playoff win in his tenure here makes him such a hot commodity?  This is a result based BUSINESS.

Look at his QB's, and look at his record, and his consistent results over a relatively long period, and now think about the rest of the market for head coaches.  He's a commodity.   It's not a black mark on the head coach to lose playoff games to better QB's, that's an organizational problem.

Who do you think is tops among available coaches for head coaching positions?  Rick Campbell?  Following an open revolt in Ottawa?  Tommy Condell?  He was garbage until June Junes taught him Run and Shoot, no guarantee he's going to be able run a whole organization.  Lapolice?  A guy who hasn't developed a half decent QB or playmaker in 3 football lifetimes.  Dinwiddie?  Kavis Reed?  Mark Washington?  Reinebold?  Mark Kilam?  Not likely after the disaster Calgary's special teams have been this season.

O'Shea is pretty clearly the top of the head coaching market if available.

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

I wasn't suggesting forcing a HC to work with coordinators picked in isolation by a GM. I get that HC's "make" the decisions on coordinators. But, they also don't do it in isolation, in any pro sport, especially football. NFL or CFL. GM's are ultimately responsible for the hiring and firing of all coaches, so GM's always have a say in the coordinators and definitely the types of coordinators they want for their team, as in their philosophies on offense or defense. GM's are also involved in this due to succession planning. A GM may endorse or suggest a specific coordinator more than others as a potential replacement for the incumbent head coach. So, a GM always has some input, but there is some type of consensus with the HC. 

I basically was posting that the conversation Walters as GM has to have with his HC is that the coordinators need to be replaced. You're right, if O'Shea doesn't agree with that, the proper response is the head coach, along with the coordinators, should be fired. 

Ummm, as far as I know, GM's pick their HC and the HC hires/fires all other coaches.  And I'm pretty sure that the HC decides the types/philosophies of those working under him.  I'm sure that a GM provides some insight, but because the actions of the assistant coaches directly affects the HC's livelihood,  it only goes to follow that the HC would want to make sure that the buck stops with him.  What you're describing results on a "double reporting" org chart where a person has two different bosses to report to.  Those just don't work.

On 2019-10-06 at 2:39 PM, Floyd said:

This was just one point of several - not cut and dried I agree... just saying that 'nice' coaches can win too

Khari, BobbyG, Marquay all know how to be dominant at their position - they transfer that to the young guys on offence and support Khari

Osh didn't have that in his first years - I mean I would have loved to see Osh take over as HC/DC instead of bringing in a re-tread like Etcheverry...  and then Hall...

Now that he does have more former players in the fold - I'm not sure why Buck can't keep Streveler calm and Jordan Younger couldn't recognize that Hecht is too slow at Safety...

I do agree with all of this. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm predicting neither one will get close to being a head coach again, especially Lapo.  Campbell is a Maas level bonehead in-game and the way that team has turned on him this year is an epic meltdown we haven't seen in a long, long time.  Like worse than Burke or Berry meltdowns here. 

Those are three guys that will have a hard time getting another head coaching job (Lapo, Campbell, Maas), especially as the GM ranks turn over to new eyes.

I don't think Campbell will take long to find a new job if he gets fired. He had a lot of successful years in Ottawa. I think most will view this season as the GM's fault.

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't think Campbell will take long to find a new job if he gets fired. He had a lot of successful years in Ottawa. I think most will view this season as the GM's fault.

Another example of a coach being fired because the GM didn’t give him a QB to win with.  Same old, same old. 

6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Whoa there. Are you insinuating that he is consciously calling the games he is because of being disgruntled?

That would be noticed and his future in the game would be in jeopardy. The man has integrity, he’s just a bit out of his element, dated, and mired in his own thinking. For all his understanding of the game, he lacks the ability to actually “see” the game.

No Sir. But I am suggesting we are getting far from his best. This is not A-grade Lapo we have been getting of late. It's C-grade.

I fully agree with the rest of your post.

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

No Sir. But I am suggesting we are getting far from his best. This is not A-grade Lapo we have been getting of late. It's C-grade.

I fully agree with the rest of your post.

Lapo fades every season - this has nothing to do with anyone sulking or phoning it in

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

What the bombers do depends on whose available. You have to have access to some one you think is better then mos if you want to replace him. It looks like we will see a lot of  jobs and not a lot of proven coaches. And we will have a core too good to tear apart and rebuild (a process that often gets that same coach fired the next year) but difficult to take the next step with. 

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Lapo fades every season - this has nothing to do with anyone sulking or phoning it in

I was theorising the other day that is this current slump not just a little bit similar to the one we went through with Nichols last season? Lots of punts and turnovers and just can't get any traction? Almost exactly the same time of year as well. 

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

I'm not seeing a lot of love for OSH. Even some of his staunchest supporters are (finally) having doubts.

Just now, 17to85 said:

I was theorising the other day that is this current slump not just a little bit similar to the one we went through with Nichols last season? Lots of punts and turnovers and just can't get any traction? Almost exactly the same time of year as well. 

Then he remembers how to run the ball and things start to look up again. Guys just a putz.