Osh is a Legend

Floyd

Harris was averaging 6.7 yds per carry. It was a grinding game The QB was struggling with reads and throwing into coverage. If I am the OC Harris would see the ball a whole lot more. He is also a player that gets better the more he sees the ball. If it's not the OC then why only 11 carries?  I am not nor have ever claimed to be a football guru but that makes no sense to me. If Harris started pounding it I thimk things would have opened up for Streveler and in the air. 11 should have been 22. It's why we have him.

17 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

You make the playoffs even as a 3-seed or crossover, all you need is a win streak (3 wins) and suddenly you're a Grey Cup champion. As a mathematician, I trust the law of large numbers, if we're one of the six teams to make it, logic would dictate that we should eventually win a Grey Cup.

Even a blind dog sometimes finds a bone.

Well when the blind dog finishes first in their division that certainly tips the scale in teams that make it to the Cup or win the Cup. Making the playoffs when 66% of teams make it is no massive achievement. So I think you need to redo your statistical analysis factoring in the success level of the bottom four teams that have made the playoffs. We can all dream and chase the bone I guess.

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

“Best” coaches based on what criteria? Longevity? Playoff wins? Certainly not......

Players love him bro.. Its 2019.. Its not 1990.. Times they are a changing.. Players sign here cuz of OSH.. Bombers don't have a top QB and their O schemes are dated and vanilla and garbage and not creative innovative or good. 

Osh ive heard concentrates on the D more as hes a D guy. Ha. D despite the narrative have 4 of our wins. 

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

Harris was averaging 6.7 yds per carry. It was a grinding game The QB was struggling with reads and throwing into coverage. If I am the OC Harris would see the ball a whole lot more. He is also a player that gets better the more he sees the ball. If it's not the OC then why only 11 carries?  I am not nor have ever claimed to be a football guru but that makes no sense to me. If Harris started pounding it I thimk things would have opened up for Streveler and in the air. 11 should have been 22. It's why we have him.

Saturday should be interesting if the forecast is correct. Lapo gonna ground n pound in cool snowy prob icy conditions? 

3 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Big Chris has actually shown quite a lot.  And has shown to be a lot more exciting to watch play than the previous starter.  It sure seems the Nichols supporters would show lots of patience when he played poorly and the team lost,  to the point it was everyone else's fault they lost but Mattys....... now when Streveler is part of a loss it's all his fault and the team is doomed with him........  

Right now we are doomed with Streveler as a starter. Defenses have taken away his running ability & left himto beat them with his arm which he can't do. Not all his fault as LaPo is his OC but Streveler has shortcomings throwing the ball. At 24,  he may never overcome his deficiencies with his fundamentals. But... that is on him to correct them if he can. There are well known & successful private qb coaches out there that cater to upper echelon NCAA as well as CFL & NFL qbs that could help him. He has to want to do that & be motivated to change things. It's not easy tearing things down & starting over to break bad habits. Long process but it can be done. 

36 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Saturday should be interesting if the forecast is correct. Lapo gonna ground n pound in cool snowy prob icy conditions? 

Adams & Stanbeck are no slouches running the ball. Stanbeck is a powerful runner suited for a frozen field. In bad weather they're even with us as I see no advantage. Hell, they're even in good weather. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

33 minutes ago, Goalie said:

In Montreal? What will we see in this duel?

A duo doing a dual running job on an expectant defence?

Nah, that would be smart football.

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Right now we are doomed with Streveler as a starter. Defenses have taken away his running ability & left himto beat them with his arm which he can't do. Not all his fault as LaPo is his OC but Streveler has shortcomings throwing the ball. At 24,  he may never overcome his deficiencies with his fundamentals. But... that is on him to correct them if he can. There are well known & successful private qb coaches out there that cater to upper echelon NCAA as well as CFL & NFL qbs that could help him. He has to want to do that & be motivated to change things. It's not easy tearing things down & starting over to break bad habits. Long process but it can be done. 

Recievers start catching the easy ones and maybe they create some momentum next time.   Way more upside to going with Big Chris at this point. 

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Recievers start catching the easy ones and maybe they create some momentum next time.   Way more upside to going with Big Chris at this point. 

There are no easy throws in this offense. Maybe if Ricky Ray or Mike Reilly were throwing them but not with our qb.  Even a 12 yard completion is a huge uphill battle.  

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Y'know, the first 3 quarters of the last Mtl game, Strev beat them with his arm. Not like he CAN'T do it. That's what's so frustrating. He's shown he can win as a passer. What changed? 

The threat of Streveler running the ball has been taken away. When he throws he has no touch on his deep balls. Defenses aren't afraid of us stretching the field. Accuracy is a real issue on all of his routes short, medium or long. They just load up the LOS & take away the run. LaPo doesn't roll Streveler out making him a threat to take off with the ball. Instead he makes him stand in the pocket trying to read defenses & throwing blanks. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Well when the blind dog finishes first in their division that certainly tips the scale in teams that make it to the Cup or win the Cup. Making the playoffs when 66% of teams make it is no massive achievement. So I think you need to redo your statistical analysis factoring in the success level of the bottom four teams that have made the playoffs. We can all dream and chase the bone I guess.

Sure, I won't bother with the analysis as it would be redundant, I think we can both agree that 1st place teams likely make the GC and win it more frequently than others. However, my point still stands, there are plenty of teams that sneak in on a hot streak (such as Calgary in 2001) that string a few wins together and get lucky. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Your point is that 1st place teams win more frequently, which is fair. My point is that 100% of Grey Cup champs were playoff contenders.

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The threat of Streveler running the ball has been taken away. When he throws he has no touch on his deep balls. Defenses aren't afraid of us stretching the field. Accuracy is a real issue on all of his routes short, medium or long. They just load up the LOS & take away the run. LaPo doesn't roll Streveler out making him a threat to take off with the ball. Instead he makes him stand in the pocket trying to read defenses & throwing blanks. 

This really pisses me off, young QB extremely mobile and we don't roll him out ,cut down the field and put pressure on the D? Smh. 

39 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I get it...you hate Streveler.  I honestly thought you would have given such a rookie QB a little more time to show what they can do. 

I don't hate Streveler but I have read your post who for a season & a half on this board & you were one of the most annoying cheerleaders I have ever seen.  Big Chris this.  Big Chris that. Afraid he'll go to the NFL. Matt Nichols sucks. When the Bombers lost it was always Nichols fault. When they won it was a team effort. No credit to Nichol from you ever. Now Big Chris is under the microscope & we are finding out about his shortcomings & that he's not ready & you don't like it.  It is what it is.

I have said that while Streveler is struggling, LaPo isn't helping him. I think he isn't getting the coaching he needs to develop. So, it's not all his fault. He needs help & he isn't getting it. I'm a Bomber fan. Why would I want him to fail? Especially now that he's all we've got. lack of good coaching is a huge issue offensively with this team. I want one more Grey Cup win at least in my lifetime. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see it. 

On 2019-10-05 at 10:57 PM, rebusrankin said:

What kind of offensive and defensive system would the Labrador Retriever be running?

Oh, I would guess that the dog would be about on par with Osh in these areas. 

Seriously, most successful head coaches have demonstrated that they are capable of coordinating an offence or defence successfully in a prior gig. A good number of them continue to multitask, coordinating a major area while serving as head coach at the same time. 

Osh has nothing like this on his resume, ergo he is incapable of providing direction in these critical areas or at critical points of a game when direction is needed.  And - no - coordinating the special teams for Toronto for a few years is not on par.

His lack of experience in these areas might go someway to explaining the lost look that inevitably appears on his face and as well as his tendency to go mute when the bombers are getting their asses kicked or falling apart ((you know, at the exact time of the game when other more accomplished head coaches actually kick into action and get active with teaching or redirecting or re-energizing their troops).

Yep, the more I think about it the more i agree that the lab and Osh are pretty similar… Both fiercely loyal, neither too flashy, and both simply not sharp enough to be in charge of a successful football franchise.

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Players love him bro.. Its 2019.. Its not 1990.. Times they are a changing.. Players sign here cuz of OSH.. Bombers don't have a top QB and their O schemes are dated and vanilla and garbage and not creative innovative or good. 

Osh ive heard concentrates on the D more as hes a D guy. Ha. D despite the narrative have 4 of our wins. 

Thank you....you made my point....it isn’t 1990...a Cup win....it hasn’t been remotely close to that either has it?  

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sure, I won't bother with the analysis as it would be redundant, I think we can both agree that 1st place teams likely make the GC and win it more frequently than others. However, my point still stands, there are plenty of teams that sneak in on a hot streak (such as Calgary in 2001) that string a few wins together and get lucky. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Your point is that 1st place teams win more frequently, which is fair. My point is that 100% of Grey Cup champs were playoff contenders.

Making the playoffs doesn’t necessarily make you a contender.  The playoff format is about economics....if it was about contenders it would be top 2 in each division.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Y'know, the first 3 quarters of the last Mtl game, Strev beat them with his arm. Not like he CAN'T do it. That's what's so frustrating. He's shown he can win as a passer. What changed? 

He had very few pass options to score in the redzone. He was trying to throw passes to score and we had 1 guy in end zone which makes it easy for the secondary to cheat. 

4 hours ago, the watcher said:

QFT. And the run plays werent even good. If we gave him some power toss, counter traps, shovels etc he would have won the game for us with ease. 

40 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Turns out if he gets an NFL shot, it won't be at qb. 

TBH, I would take him as a 3rd / 4th qb in the nfl in a heart beat. Hed be the guy to hold on kicks, run the goal line package, and be the scout team QB when prepping for mobile QBs. That alone, is enough to keep him employed. That said I dont think he will get the attention coming out of this year to get that role down south.  I dont see him playing his way into a big contract right now, and that is a good thing for us. Itd be great if he was, but we want to keep him and keeping him fairly cheap at this age is pretty great long term. 

When given the limited time to throw the ball down field, hes shown he can do it with authority. He isnt ricky ray, but hes a pretty good passer for a running qb. And that is a tremendous value as a back up. especially at reasonable back up qb money. 

12 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Thank you....you made my point....it isn’t 1990...a Cup win....it hasn’t been remotely close to that either has it?  

Football will never be close to that again. PI in 1990, would be an idictable offence today. The way they coached back then would be too. 

The program is the teams strength and weakness. In order to take the next step, the program has to evolve and grow. Right now, it hasnt changed at all since mos took over.

Do players sign here because of mos? Maybe a secondary factor. Players sign here because its a good team, with good support, and they pay good money. A player coach is a fringe benefit to most guys.