Osh is a Legend

Floyd

14 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

I don't think we need to clean house just yet. It sucks that we can't seem to get over the hump, but this is as successful and consistent this organization has been in decades.  I don't expect them to through that away. That being said,  changes need to happen.  It seems to me like we are too easy to gameplan against.  Too predictable and locked into certain tendencies in game situations.  Particularly on offence.

I completely agree with this....I watch the game and can call the play when the offence is out there. If I was going to change anything on the team it would be our OC. 

Just now, DR. CFL said:

I’m not convinced either Claybrookes or Chamblian get whacked at the end of the year. Apart from the fact that O’Shea played and coached STs in a Toronto.....given his “success” in Winnipeg what makes him so appealing to be a great hire for Toronto? 

Chamblin is toast - not even a glimmer of hope on that team...

Chapdelaine will step in

1 hour ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Let me just ask one question.....when was the last time you can remember the Blue Bombers mentoring a QB into a starter? Frankly I have been following them for 65 years and the only one I can think of in that time was Kenny Ploen. We have traded for some good ones (Clements), signed a couple from the States (Brock, Jabobs, Hanzen) who were already established QB in their own right. But who have we brought along aka the Calgary Stampeders, Ottawa back in the day, Edmonton, BC (with Buono there), modern day Hamilton. 

Someone said and correctly QBs have to be on the "right" team to succeed. Is that the offensive scheme, the OL line, the way they are coached? I would say all of the above. Here in Winnipeg, we do not coach our QBs well and I would offer that Buck is not the person we need as a QB coach or OC. If he was we would not be witnessing what we are today. We do not groom our QBs to be successful should they be called upon simply because they don't get the reps other backups on other teams get during practice. Our mentality is next man up which is great but you can't be next man up in the QB position if you don't get the reps and the game plan isn't designed around your strengths. This is nothing new for LaPo; he has been like this his whole career. When we hired him away from TSN everyone was saying how great an analysis and offensive mind he was and he even went south to pick the brains of some NFL OCs. Does that not ring funny? The NFL game is nowhere close to ours; 4 downs verse 3 is a drastic change. And do leopards change their spots?

We need a new OC, have needed one since LaPo signed. We need someone who can teach QBs the subtle nuances of the position and show them how to use their strengths while working on their weaknesses...then translate that to the OC. I was looking around at all the new faces in the coaching ranks this weekend and there are many as has been mentioned. Some I have never heard of but there they are coaching. Because we don't know their names does not mean they will not be good coaches. The DC for Sask totally out coached LaPo and how long has LaPo been around. Same with Montreal, and Hamilton. We need to look outside the box I'm afraid. We lost Kahari, Sask Dickensen and Ottawa Dickensen during this journey. It will be interesting to see what happens next. 

It is truly hard to believe that teams in this league except Winnipeg cannot rebuild a team within a few years never mind 29! Lots have what's our excuse?

really well-written. As I just wrote in another thread, if I was to change anything it would be the OC. And I hear this all the time...why can't we find a qb? I thought we found one in Streveler, and while I haven't given up, I'm not convinced he's the answer.

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Chamblin is toast - not even a glimmer of hope on that team...

Chapdelaine will step in

Chapdelaine?....you kidding me? He is a major part of their offensive problems. He has been a dude everywhere he has been...been disliked by the players......not a chance Floyd.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

True, but the Bombers have been very deliberate in giving Lapolice the offense.  Hard to say how much influence anyone could exact on that guy, even as a "boss."

It could be a pretty significant mistake to fire MOS for not insisting on Lapolice being chopped.  There's more Tim Burke's and Jim Daley's out there than Mike O'Shea's.  If they have someone in mind who can push this team over the hump as a coach, go for it, just not sure who that would be.

To win at poker you can't just stand pat unless it's hopeless and you chose to fold. If you have a good hand and want a better one, you toss your worst cards in hopes of getting better ones. It might work, it might not. But it's your only chance of winning it all, which is supposed to be the goal, not standing pat hoping everyone gets a worse hand than yours. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

To win at poker you can't just stand pat unless it's hopeless and you chose to fold. If you have a good hand and want a better one, you toss your worst cards in hopes of getting better ones. It might work, it might not. But it's your only chance of winning it all, which is supposed to be the goal, not standing pat hoping everyone gets a worse hand than yours. 

Good analogy. 

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Sure, it's like poker if you know what the hands are and get to choose what you are dealt.  It's pretty obvious what the coaching market is going to be and who will be available, it's not a game of chance.

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

I’m not convinced either Claybrookes or Chamblian get whacked at the end of the year. Apart from the fact that O’Shea played and coached STs in a Toronto.....given his “success” in Winnipeg what makes him so appealing to be a great hire for Toronto? 

He's currently one of the best coaches in the league...and played his whole career save for a couple brief Hamilton stints with the Argos.

6 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

To say that mathematics and probability will determine the ultimate goal of a championship here is at best....not even a stretch. If you believe that how many more years of this patience plan are you willing to endure? Part of the reason for Calgary’s level of stability is predicated on success....not hope and probability.

You make the playoffs even as a 3-seed or crossover, all you need is a win streak (3 wins) and suddenly you're a Grey Cup champion. As a mathematician, I trust the law of large numbers, if we're one of the six teams to make it, logic would dictate that we should eventually win a Grey Cup.

Even a blind dog sometimes finds a bone.

What this team needs more than anything else is a quarterback. Nichols is ok when he’s healthy which isn’t very often.  Streveler is too young and inexperienced and also I think has questionable arm strength.  If there’s one thing that would affect change it would be to have a legit starting quarterback. Should be several better options available this offseason. 

I’m not against changing the coordinators but there’s little point to it if we come back with the same qbs. 

19 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

What this team needs more than anything else is a quarterback. Nichols is ok when he’s healthy which isn’t very often.  Streveler is too young and inexperienced and also I think has questionable arm strength.  If there’s one thing that would affect change it would be to have a legit starting quarterback. Should be several better options available this offseason. 

I’m not against changing the coordinators but there’s little point to it if we come back with the same qbs. 

Who they going to get?  Franklin is crap,  Jennings is crap,   Collaros is crap,   Masoli *may* be the only available option and who knows how he will be after injury. 

59 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Who they going to get?  Franklin is crap,  Jennings is crap,   Collaros is crap,   Masoli *may* be the only available option and who knows how he will be after injury. 

Who they gonna get? Who they gonna get? Who they gonna get? What is this, The Twilight Zone? 

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Healthy Nichols gives us a shot this year, but Strev the rest of the way isn't good enough unfortunately. Not sure what happened but he just doesn't have it. 

To me, it looks like Buck & LaPo did a poor job of coaching Streveler up How a guy can sit through nearly two seasons of video sessions, offensive meetings, practices & starting 9 games & look this lost is incredible. He's not getting better. Arbuckle is a FA. We should go after him in free agency but I'm not so sure with our head coach.  

The Bombers just need one win to have the same record as they had last year. With that one win the Bombers would finish in the same place in the standings as last year, 3rd. They could lose out and still finish third.

If the Bombers win out they would be finishing 2nd guaranteed and possibly 1st.

3 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

You make the playoffs even as a 3-seed or crossover, all you need is a win streak (3 wins) and suddenly you're a Grey Cup champion. As a mathematician, I trust the law of large numbers, if we're one of the six teams to make it, logic would dictate that we should eventually win a Grey Cup.

Even a blind dog sometimes finds a bone.

Here's hoping for blizzard like conditions in 3 consecutive playoff games, they're all in the West so theoretically it could happen.

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sure, it's like poker if you know what the hands are and get to choose what you are dealt.  It's pretty obvious what the coaching market is going to be and who will be available, it's not a game of chance.

True. I was trying (perhaps poorly) to make the counterpoint that you can toss your coaches (cards) and hope to get better ones. That's the gamble. If Walters does toss his HC card in for another one, I don't think there'd be too much backlash. Admittedly we pretty much know what's going to be available but it's always a toss-up whether we can sign them.

When even Noeller is unsure that O'Shea will be here next season I think we need to get our heads around the idea that there could be major changes. We need to play our hand well if it comes to that.

7 hours ago, ddanger said:

really well-written. As I just wrote in another thread, if I was to change anything it would be the OC. And I hear this all the time...why can't we find a qb? I thought we found one in Streveler, and while I haven't given up, I'm not convinced he's the answer.

I think we have to give him a chance with a different coach. Lapo is a QB killer. So is O'Shea.

14 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

People keep blaming LaPo for Streveler's lack of success running the ball, he ran the ball 12 times and his longest run was 8 yards.  The Rider D watched the film, contained him and shut him down, nothing LaPo can do about that, it's on Streveler to make use of the tools at his disposal to move the offence.  He couldn't do it.

The riders adjusted, lapo did not. Its his job to adjust and have wrinkles as well to counter the riders adjustments. Just like he should have in place to counter when teams crash down on the screen passes and short passes. And when play gap elimination against our run game. 

The answer was to roll out more, stretch the field laterally and that exposes the gap in the contain defense the riders were playing. Also running off tackle, counter trap, shovel pass, etc. 

The riders crashed down hard on the stand still screen passes (which suck any way) and ran them as if we had woli in blocking when we didnt. When a team is crashing down that hard, you can run pump and go on a fake screen for an easy big play. Some thing we havent done with plop at all to the best of my memory. 

Its his job to have wrinkles and counters to the other teams strategy, and to use the pieces he has to the best of their ability. He didnt do either or come close to it. 

Another year, another of the same threads. Was Hall ever fired btw? Threads like this are just yelling into a hurricane. 

Edited by wbbfan

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Healthy Nichols gives us a shot this year, but Strev the rest of the way isn't good enough unfortunately. Not sure what happened but he just doesn't have it. 

A healthy 2017 nichols might give us more of a shot then we have had this year. 

The hard truth is, with out coaching to win (including play calling) instead of coaching to not lose, you dont  have a good shot to win a championship.