Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Floyd

Osh is a Legend

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The only question is whether Osh wants to get back on this sinking ship. I know I'd run away. But if the organization is smart they beg The Trinity to come back and try to fix this with better coordinators... 

Will you please, please, please stop with this Trinity stuff like they're some kind of religious deities? O'Shea is just over .500 as a HC & he's won no championships. Only has won 1 playoff game. We're as close to  winning a Grey cup as we were in 2016. O'Shea is replaceable. He's had his chance. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Will you please, please, please stop with this Trinity stuff like they're some kind of religious deities? O'Shea is just over .500 as a HC & he's won no championships. Only has won 1 playoff game. We're as close to  winning a Grey cup as we were in 2016. O'Shea is replaceable. He's had his chance. 

The masses in WPG seem to not agree. 

Lapo can move on. Hall can go 2.. D isnt really a big problem.. Just a likely more minor one most games.. D has really been good this year.. Started on 🔥 

1 TD in the first like 3 games against. 

Oshea and Walters are likeable people.. Osh is hardcore wearing shorts still.. They are likeable characters. Walters is this good looking younger guy.. Winnipeg loves OSH and Kyle. 

We don't care for Plop and maybe half dislike Hall. 

Edited by Goalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to Blue Bomber history, he who cannot draw on the last 11 years is living from hand to mouth.  Look at where this team was at after 2008 & 2009 - the cupboard was bare.  Other than a 2011 GC berth, we had absolutely pathetic seasons after that.  

O’Shea brought success and competence to this team.  To include the first two seasons just to make the point that he is .500, given the mess he inherited, is misleading. 

Other changes need to be made, but the coach who turned this team and organization into something respectable needs to stay.  

Meanwhile, we can keep lamenting our 9 - 6 team.  In other news, the Grey Champion lost to the predicted tire fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark H. said:

we When it comes to Blue Bomber history, he who cannot draw on the last 11 years is living from hand to mouth.  Look at where this team was at after 2008 & 2009 - the cupboard was bare.  Other than a 2011 GC berth, we had absolutely pathetic seasons after that.  

O’Shea brought success and competence to this team.  To include the first two seasons just to make the point that he is .500, given the mess he inherited, is misleading. 

Other changes need to be made, but the coach who turned this team and organization into something respectable needs to stay.  

Meanwhile, we can keep lamenting our 9 - 6 team.  In other news, the Grey Champion lost to the predicted tire fire. 

Head Coach Ray Jauch couldn't get the Bombers into the Grey Cup despite having a great team & 3 second place finishes in a row with 10-6, 11-5 & 11-5 records in 1980, 81 & 82. He left. Within TWO SEASONS we won the 1984 Grey Cup with HC Cal Murphy. You don't sit still after 5 seasons. Something's gotta give. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Hate to say it but the Oshea era is over...

Young showed tonight that Richie Hall really is the problem - even with Winston Rose's miscues

Playing Neufeld over Gray has cost this team - that's on Oshea

Sticking with Lapo and Hall - its finished Osh

Another QB ruined.

Good chance he gets one more year because we lost Nichols. My guess is the theory will be that had we had him we do better...even if it turns out to be 9-9 and one and done.

I think the odds of that may even go up if O'Shea decides to hoof one or both of Hall and LaPo as sacrificial scapegoats

Not saying I agree with that decision if it's made...just my gut feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who hired Lapo? Who hired Hall? Why do people think that throwing the coordinators under the bus as a sacrifice to OSh works? He hired them and is loyal to them. He nearly got himself fired sticking with Drew Willy until he was likely forced to move on.

So I wanted to do a little more digging into the record of our illustrious, country club running Head Coach. This is his record as Head Coach of the Bombers:

54 wins 51 losses regular season.
1 Labour day win, 5 losses on Labour day
4 wins, 2 losses in the Banjo Bowl
1 Playoff win, 3 losses

Zero trips to the Grey Cup, and of course, zero championships.

He's the 2nd longest serving head coach in Winnipeg, and people are afraid we would be, what? Lost without him? What has he delivered? The loyalty that he demonstrates, to a fault, is creating a "losing is ok" country club atmosphere. Now, of course I'm not in the room and this is my best guess but when the team has no consequences for bad play what are we to think?

He's a 500 coach with 1 playoff win since 2014. He's not only replaceable, he's culpable. I could hire a Labrador retriever to run the team for a decade and while it would be "stable" it's the results that matter. 

Oh and can we stop pretending in a 9 team league that there are "cupboards" to be bare? What a stupid excuse. This isn't the NHL where it takes time to build  a winner. Good god.

Edited by White Out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The masses in WPG seem to not agree. 

Lapo can move on. Hall can go 2.. D isnt really a big problem.. Just a likely more minor one most games.. D has really been good this year.. Started on 🔥 

1 TD in the first like 3 games against. 

Oshea and Walters are likeable people.. Osh is hardcore wearing shorts still.. They are likeable characters. Walters is this good looking younger guy.. Winnipeg loves OSH and Kyle. 

We don't care for Plop and maybe half dislike Hall. 

I think you're overly optimistic. Would you sign MOS to a 3 year deal with the risk he may never win a championship in nearly a decade & have only 1 playoff win go show for? That's a huge risk. The only reason Walters does that is because they are friends & he is looking after his good buddy,  After 9 years if there are no results then everyone will get fired. How do you sell another 3 years to the Bomber base? That will be a tough one.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is the players play in the schemes the coordinators dictate. If the scheme isn’t working.......hello offence........then the coordinator MUST make adjustments. If he doesn’t the HC should step in and provide direction. Because O’Shea isnt an offensive mind he is afraid to speak to the king of offensives hence we destroy an up and coming young QB by try to make him a pocket passer, ignore his strength and at the same time destroy his confidence. He looked defeated today not the same young guy who was full of p... and vinegar in the beginning of this train wreck.....and he was successful then but now seems to expect what we expect nothing good.

so it lies at O’Shea’s feet as well as Lapo. I said when we hired Lapo it was a bad move...got racked over the goals for saying it yet here we are. And as for O’Shea the second longest reining coach in bomber history.....what has he done for us lately.we will play the crossover against Montreal and get beaten in Montreal end of season. Sad

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the thing you’re overlooking is that there are a LOT of bad coaches out there. A lot more bad ones than good ones. O’Shea is far from perfect but he’s provided this franchise quite a bit of stability. I generally hate keeping around the “safe” option because that’s often a recipe for constant mediocrity but we’ve seen so many horrible coaches come through here, I think it’s understandable to be gun shy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, White Out said:

when the team has no consequences for bad play what are we to think?

I've said it before but I think it bears repeating...

It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

- Thomas Sowell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I think the thing you’re overlooking is that there are a LOT of bad coaches out there. A lot more bad ones than good ones. O’Shea is far from perfect but he’s provided this franchise quite a bit of stability. I generally hate keeping around the “safe” option because that’s often a recipe for constant mediocrity but we’ve seen so many horrible coaches come through here, I think it’s understandable to be gun shy. 

Yes, we might hire the next Jeff Reinbold as Head Coach & that's the risk but we might also hire the next Bud Grant. It's up to Kyle Walters to get it right when he does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

When it comes to Blue Bomber history, he who cannot draw on the last 11 years is living from hand to mouth.  Look at where this team was at after 2008 & 2009 - the cupboard was bare.  Other than a 2011 GC berth, we had absolutely pathetic seasons after that.  

O’Shea brought success and competence to this team.  To include the first two seasons just to make the point that he is .500, given the mess he inherited, is misleading. 

Other changes need to be made, but the coach who turned this team and organization into something respectable needs to stay.  

Meanwhile, we can keep lamenting our 9 - 6 team.  In other news, the Grey Champion lost to the predicted tire fire. 

That team is not a tire fire strictly because of coaching...

We are now SIX YEARS into Oshea/Walter's tenure and the organization is 'stable'...  our only playoff win is against Brandon Bridge.   

It might be time to accept that Oshea is not Dave Ritchie...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, we might hire the next Jeff Reinbold as Head Coach & that's the risk but we might also hire the next Bud Grant. It's up to Kyle Walters to get it right when he does. 

Then I guess what it comes down to is, do you think with a capable QB that O’Shea has any chance of leading this team to a Grey Cup? If you don’t, you may as well hire the next guy that walks into the office. But if we think this team is a QB away from being a perennial contender, I can’t see how we replace him based on the presumption that we MAY hire the next Bud Grant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I genuinely like OShea as a coach.  His calm demeanor is rubbing off on his players , as indicative of the discipline instilled on this team.

However, this is a results driven business.  The reality is 1 playoff victory in 6 years, in a 9 team league is awful.    So unfortunately the axe will fall on him.  Fire Hall and Lapo.   We need competent coordinators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I think the thing you’re overlooking is that there are a LOT of bad coaches out there. A lot more bad ones than good ones. O’Shea is far from perfect but he’s provided this franchise quite a bit of stability. I generally hate keeping around the “safe” option because that’s often a recipe for constant mediocrity but we’ve seen so many horrible coaches come through here, I think it’s understandable to be gun shy. 

Particularly given that every time the Bombers fire anyone remotely successful they almost always end up with someone worse.

Ritchie to Daley. Berry to Kelly. LaPo to Burke.

All three went to a Grey Cup (Ritchie, Berry, LaPo) and we replaced all three with absolute incompetence.

I am very much willing to keep O'Shea, particularly if we are getting a new OC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, White Out said:

 

Oh and can we stop pretending in a 9 team league that there are "cupboards" to be bare? What a stupid excuse. This isn't the NHL where it takes time to build  a winner.

Who’s pretending? Good coaches and talented players no longer wanted to come to Winnipeg.  To say that wasn’t true is just being willfully ignorant.  What were you planning to fill cupboard with? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark H. said:

Who’s pretending? Good coaches and talented players no longer wanted to come to Winnipeg.  To say that wasn’t true is just being willfully ignorant.  What were you planning to fill cupboard with? 

You can't have it both ways, either Oshea refill the cupboards with the bad team, or it is impossible for a bad team to turn around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain Blue said:

Particularly given that every time the Bombers fire anyone remotely successful they almost always end up with someone worse.

Ritchie to Daley. Berry to Kelly. LaPo to Burke.

All three went to a Grey Cup (Ritchie, Berry, LaPo) and we replaced all three with absolute incompetence.

I am very much willing to keep O'Shea, particularly if we are getting a new OC.

I am inclined to agree. Frankly, unjustified loyalty to me is O’Shea’s worst quality by a mile. Surgically remove his two festering, malignant co-ordinators (or even just Lapo) and that should make a sizeable difference. Assuming competent QB play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Then I guess what it comes down to is, do you think with a capable QB that O’Shea has any chance of leading this team to a Grey Cup? If you don’t, you may as well hire the next guy that walks into the office. But if we think this team is a QB away from being a perennial contender, I can’t see how we replace him based on the presumption that we MAY hire the next Bud Grant. 

It's more than a better qb & OC. We aren't just one player away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

Good chance he gets one more year because we lost Nichols. My guess is the theory will be that had we had him we do better...even if it turns out to be 9-9 and one and done.

I think the odds of that may even go up if O'Shea decides to hoof one or both of Hall and LaPo as sacrificial scapegoats

Not saying I agree with that decision if it's made...just my gut feeling.

Umm... 9-9 and one and done is where we're headed right now...?  But it would be okay if Nichols was doing it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...