Osh is a Legend

Floyd

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

That's insane considering they've had home field advantage frequently in the play offs and in the regular season they've had an insane home record.    

This goes back to the 1960's when they lost three Western Finals to the Bombers in 61, 62 & 65 & the Lions in 64. Then the Riders in  67 & 69. Lost  the Grey Cup in 68 & 70. Finally won their second Grey Cup in 1971. They were 1-6 in the Western Finals that decade. You can bet that some of those Stamps teams were the best in Canada but they couldn't win. Add in the GC & playoff failures since 1990. They won 6 Grey Cups since 1990 but lost a lot more with superior teams just like in the 60's. They don't have the same swagger in the playoffs historically. They choke more than they win.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This goes back to the 1960's when they lost three Western Finals to the Bombers in 61, 62 & 65 & the Lions in 64. Then the Riders in  67 & 69. Lost  the Grey Cup in 68 & 70. Finally won their second Grey Cup in 1971. They were 1-6 in the Western Finals that decade. You can bet that some of those teams were the best teams in Canada but they couldn't win. Add in the GC & playoff failures since 1990. They won 6 Grey Cups since 1990 but lost a lot more with superior teams just like in the 60's. They don't have the same swagger in the playoffs historically. They choke more than they win.

Kinda like the buffalo bills are known for...

On 2019-12-01 at 2:07 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, Clements wasn't a running qb where he'd pick up 80 yards a game but he could scramble around in the backfield, move the pocket, evade the rush, make tacklers miss, extend the play & find an open receiver. 

I never really saw a QB start crossing the line of scrimmage with regularity with the point of picking up yards until I saw Flutie started doing it, and Matt Dunigan too.  You saw great scrambling QB's like Condredge Holloway, Warren Moon, Clements, Tommy Wilkinson, JC Watts etc but they usually stayed behind the line and were looking for open receivers.  Please bear in mind that I am too young to remember Kenny Ploen so forgive my ignorance on him.  

Edited by kelownabomberfan

6 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I never really saw a QB start crossing the line of scrimmage with regularity with the point of picking up yards until I saw Flutie started doing it, and Matt Dunigan too.  You saw great scrambling QB's like Condredge Holloway, Warren Moon, Clements, Tommy Wilkinson, JC Watts etc but they usually stayed behind the line and were looking for open receivers.  Please bear in mind that I am too young to remember Kenny Ploen so forgive my ignorance on him.  

Tracy Ham was a killer rushing QB in the 80s-90s.  Owns three of the top five single-season QB rushing records, hit 1000 yards 2x and 998 once.

Before him there was Ken Hobart, but Hobart was more of a 1-dimensional player.

46 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Tracy Ham was a killer rushing QB in the 80s-90s.  Owns three of the top five single-season QB rushing records, hit 1000 yards 2x and 998 once.

Before him there was Ken Hobart, but Hobart was more of a 1-dimensional player.

Right, thanks for that Johnzo!  Ken Hobart I don't really remember that well, probably because I didn't care much about the Ti-Cats and not all games were televised back in those days. (Weird eh?) Was it Suits that kept comparing Streveler to Ken Hobart this year?  Or was it Duane Ford?

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Right, thanks for that Johnzo!  Ken Hobart I don't really remember that well, probably because I didn't care much about the Ti-Cats and not all games were televised back in those days. (Weird eh?) Was it Suits that kept comparing Streveler to Ken Hobart this year?  Or was it Duane Ford?

I thought it was Dunigan

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Can't remember who first brought it up, but they found some clips of it and Dunigan said he'd played with Hobart and thought it was a very accurate comparison...

I'd like to think that Streveler is smarter than Hobart. The knock on him was that he was a one-trick pony with the accuracy of a Claymore.

6 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

There were a few back in the day. Don Moorehead in BC would never hesitate to take off & run with the ball. Chuck Ealey of the Ti Cats was another. Joe Theismann of the Argos used his legs as well.  Carroll Williams of the Alouettes wasn't a great passer but he sure could run. Joe 747 Adams was another running qb back in the 80's.

Loved watching Hobart as a kid, he made a lot of exciting things happen on the field. He's not nearly as physically dominant as Streveler, but he was definitely big for an 80s QB and he could sure run in the open field. 

The last thing he did in the CFL was back up Damon Allen in Ottawa. Whenever Allen went cold the fans would get on him by chanting HOOOBART.  I've heard that Hobart actually encouraged the fans from the sidelines.  Gotta wonder what that did to the room.

Here's some Hobart playoff action, in 1985 he absolutely destroyed the Concordes in the EF throwing for 400 yards and five TD passes.  He was a career 49% passer but just could not miss on this day.  Also watch for young Wally Buono turning up as a coach on the Concordes sidelines.  He looks about fourteen years old.

Didn't work so great the next week, though.  Started the Grey Cup as a rookie and Don Matthews' bunch humbled him.

Edited by johnzo