California passes bill to let NCAA athletes trade on their likeness

johnzo

29 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I am not an expert in college football but everything I've read says this is a pretty big deal

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/30/765700141/california-governor-signs-bill-allowing-college-athletes-to-profit-from-endorsem

Huuuuge deal. This might actually break the NCAA model of business. 

Put it this way: These kids are future NFLers, they play, people come watch. the Universities and schools make a **** tonne of money off these athletes. these athelets make no money, run the risk of getting injured and missing out on their big NFL payday if that were to happen. It's a huge scam. 

41 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Huuuuge deal. This might actually break the NCAA model of business. 

Put it this way: These kids are future NFLers, they play, people come watch. the Universities and schools make a **** tonne of money off these athletes. these athelets make no money, run the risk of getting injured and missing out on their big NFL payday if that were to happen. It's a huge scam. 

2% are future pro's - Source

11 hours ago, johnzo said:

I do wonder how many athletes will benefit from this.  In football, will the perks be limited to the 2% of pro-bound players, or will local legends who top out in NCAA see anything from this?

It's the ones who are big NCAA names but won't ever see big NFL money that stand to benefit the most. I'm thinking of the non pro-style QBs, tweeners, etc. They will at least be able to make something off their time in the college spotlight. Probably a lot of basketball guys who fit that description as well.

• 4 weeks later...