The Canadian Mafia

White Out

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But why shouldn't it be with the team that we have? Why shouldn't it be about winning a championship. How many more years are fans expected to be  patient & wait? THAT IS THE PROBLEM. There seems to be no expectations from the team that anything less is a huge failure. 

Re-read my post. I said I don't think it's reasonable to blow up this regime if they fall short this year, hence the "championship or bust" remark. Stability is a major key to success and that's what we're seeing now. This organization hasn't had four consecutive winning seasons in ages. FTR: I never said it shouldn't be about winning a championship. I'm sure the entire organization from top to bottom would agree with that notion. If you think the men in charge don't have high expectations, you're kidding yourself or don't know who they are.

Anyway, if you're in the "Grey Cup or Blow It Up" camp, tell me who you'd like to see take the reins from this regime. Blowing things up means another rebuild. Do you have the stomach for that? I sure as hell don't.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

This isn't about selling houses, but cuz you asked. Sure, sometimes folks find out they can't afford what they want or that their current house isn't going to net them what they want and decide not to sell. That doesn't change the fact that they no longer want to be in their current house.

There is a point in firing someone or not giving that person 3 more years who is just 'doing pretty well'. The point being that 'doing pretty well' shouldn't be good enough any more. It was when we first hired MOS because pretty well was better than stinking out the joint. Maybe you're OK with mediocrity or are scared to try something new when we have a top 4 team. That's fine as long as you don't complain about the results we get.

The idea that the only thing that can happen if we fire MOS is getting worse is flawed. Folks who want consistency bring up stupid hires like Burke or Kelly and ignore that we could also make a good hire...  A guy who takes us to the next level. Folks want to talk about specifics right now to get the conversation off of MOS's post season failure and on to 'that guy wouldn't be any better' because there is no proof that anyone would be better or worse. There is also no proof that keeping MOS will lead to better results.

Khari was given Montreal's HC job late and has turned the team around in a single year. Dickenson, another late HC 'choice' has the Riders tied for 1st place. Neither of them were top choices for HC's. Just right place at the right time. Both are examples of change being good for their respective teams and the Riders are a good example of a good team not getting worse by hiring a new HC. Rick Campbell in Ottawa is an example of consistency not always equalling good results.

Montreal is turned around to what extent?  They play in a division with two historically bad teams, one historically bad on O, one on D.  Will give them credit for wins vs the West for sure, but really that team in the West is probably 4th place or worse.

You're also talking about guys who were with the organizations and taking over midstream.  Do you want Lapolice as head coach?  Richie Hall?

History tells us that the vast majority of outcomes will be worse than they have been under MOS.  I think people need to think long and hard about why games are lost and think analyze it in the big picture.  Where are the deficiencies on these teams?  On the whole it is not the defense, it's not the special teams.  In most games since 2016 our D has outperformed our opponent as have our special teams.  Crap we've put up several games per season where our D and special teams have outscored our opponents offense!

I suppose we could pin the blame on MOS for being too loyal to a certain QB, or not developing a QB, or not aggressively forcing management to pursue available QB's.

There was a dramatic shift of cap space in the past off-season from the secondary to the DL which has mostly turned out well and from the OL to the receiving core, where the results have been total ****.

I think our best bet for next season is to run it back with the same core staff, get Lapo out of the building and think long and hard about some of the positional coaches on D who are potentially undermining the coordinator according to some rather loud rumblings.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Say what?

I'd like some clarification on that. Personally, I think Hall remains the main culprit. I've seen his body of work the last five years, and despite changes to his personnel and positional coaches, we see the same issues on the field.

The common denominator remains.

47 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Montreal is turned around to what extent?  They play in a division with two historically bad teams, one historically bad on O, one on D.  Will give them credit for wins vs the West for sure, but really that team in the West is probably 4th place or worse.

You're also talking about guys who were with the organizations and taking over midstream.  Do you want Lapolice as head coach?  Richie Hall?

History tells us that the vast majority of outcomes will be worse than they have been under MOS.  I think people need to think long and hard about why games are lost and think analyze it in the big picture.  Where are the deficiencies on these teams?  On the whole it is not the defense, it's not the special teams.  In most games since 2016 our D has outperformed our opponent as have our special teams.  Crap we've put up several games per season where our D and special teams have outscored our opponents offense!

I suppose we could pin the blame on MOS for being too loyal to a certain QB, or not developing a QB, or not aggressively forcing management to pursue available QB's.

There was a dramatic shift of cap space in the past off-season from the secondary to the DL which has mostly turned out well and from the OL to the receiving core, where the results have been total ****.

I think our best bet for next season is to run it back with the same core staff, get Lapo out of the building and think long and hard about some of the positional coaches on D who are potentially undermining the coordinator according to some rather loud rumblings.

If you don't think Montreal has turned it around this year, you're not watching them play. They beat us and the Stamps for example. They'd be in the cross over spot with a game in hand, if they were in the west.  Would have beaten BC and got their playoff spot locked down last week with their backup QB, if Pipkin didn't fumble a snap.

I don't want Hall or PLAP as our next HC. I don't actually want either of them around next year. I think MOS brings both of them back unless PLAP gets a head coach spot. I wasn't suggesting that we hire either of them as HC's, and I'm sure you know it.

On QB's... I bet that MOS brings Nichols back as our starter, even if that means losing Streveler.

I'm not even arguing that MOS should be fired yet. That's an argument for the off season. We could still win the West and win the cup this year. If that happens, MOS can write his own contract and get the key to the city. I'm arguing that firing MOS doesn't equal a bad team going forward and we don't have to find his replacement before we decide to fire him.

He’s not arguing that Montreal isn’t better than last season. He’s arguing the extent to which they are better, especially given how favourable their circumstances are. These “one year wonder” teams happen in the CFL all the time. Adams is still an extremely unpolished and inaccurate passer and if he regresses to the mean next season, the Als are still stuck in quicksand next season. 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Re-read my post. I said I don't think it's reasonable to blow up this regime if they fall short this year, hence the "championship or bust" remark. Stability is a major key to success and that's what we're seeing now. This organization hasn't had four consecutive winning seasons in ages. FTR: I never said it shouldn't be about winning a championship. I'm sure the entire organization from top to bottom would agree with that notion. If you think the men in charge don't have high expectations, you're kidding yourself or don't know who they are.

Anyway, if you're in the "Grey Cup or Blow It Up" camp, tell me who you'd like to see take the reins from this regime. Blowing things up means another rebuild. Do you have the stomach for that? I sure as hell don't.

Oh, here we go. Here's another guy who says who should we replace O'Shea with who???? Hey, News Flash. I don't make those decisions. My opinions mean nothing to Kyle Walters. He'll decide & do the hiring so give it a rest.  And yes, after 6 years of mediocre playoff performances & coordinators who can't adjust during games, I do question whether this team is totally committed to winning championships. Whether you like/want to read that or not. You'd think that after all this time this group has been together there'd be at least one local media story published about how much pressure everyone is under to win. Yet, we never see that from the media. Everything seems hunky dory. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The tactics being taught by the DB coach in terms of playing the ball and cushion aren't exactly jiving with the scheme or what Hall wants from it.

Iirc under missick we had a 2 year record for turn overs, when he left and younger took over the turn overs dropped off heavily each year. Previously It seemed like we could find and develop DBs that fit our system easily. Now it seems far tougher. 

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I’ll just leave this here. Watch the first five minutes. 

Oakland lost 6 straight AFC Finals. How many Western Finals have we been to in the past 6 years? One. I know what you're trying to say but the Bombers of today are nowhere near as dominant as the Raiders were in the 70's. At least their fans had great expectations during those 6 seasons of maybe going to the Super Bowl every year & winning it. We have little or no expectations of getting to the Grey Cup & winning it. Fans expect to lose. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

20 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

No, Collaros isn't awesome, but he's way better than Bridge. Yes, I'd hate him if he was a Bomber, mostly because he can't stay healthy.

...and because you have a long and illustrious history of criticizing all things Bombers. The point he was trying to make is that when all you do is criticize the Bombers for thousands of posts, even your best arguments are met with skepticisim or even dismissed because you have shown very little balance in your approach.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Oh, here we go. Here's another guy who says who should we replace O'Shea with who???? Hey, News Flash. I don't make those decisions. My opinions mean nothing to Kyle Walters. He'll decide & do the hiring so give it a rest.  And yes, after 6 years of mediocre playoff performances & coordinators who can't adjust during games, I do question whether this team is totally committed to winning championships. Whether you like/want to read that or not. You'd think that after all this time this group has been together there'd be at least one local media story published about how much pressure everyone is under to win. Yet, we never see that from the media. Everything seems hunky dory. 

Image result for you need to relax gif

Dude, it's a forum. The entire purpose of this place is to converse, discuss, and talk about things. I asked you a question and rather than answer it, you go on the defensive. No **** you don't make any decisions as far as the WFC's operations go. I posed the question to get your input in order to understand your view on the subject. You misinterpreted what I said, so I clarified my view in order for you to understand it better. So, I'll ask again: who's out you feel is a good replacement if a rebuild were to happen? It's not some unreasonable question and certainly not a reason for you to get upset by asking it.

I don't think anyone in this fanbase would disagree about this regime's playoff record since 2016. It is pretty embarrassing but I don't know how that means said regime isn't committed to winning a championship. Nothing I've seen or heard from anyone in this organization would lead me to make such a conclusion. That being said, I wish Hall would've been let go after last season and I'm steadfast in that even now.

And why does it matter what the media has to say on anything related to either this regime or the organization? Not one media member sees what happens behind closed doors.

Our biggest flaw fatale right now is not our defence. Yes, we got exposed for a couple games but realistically I believe we have the personnel to correct that before the playoffs. However, we are dead in the water if Streveler can't show an ability to stretch the field on offence. He's been figured out and teams are no longer respecting our passing attack and are shutting down what is a pretty one dimensional offence right now. We can't win the Grey Cup on Strev's legs.

2 hours ago, gcn11 said:

...and because you have a long and illustrious history of criticizing all things Bombers. The point he was trying to make is that when all you do is criticize the Bombers for thousands of posts, even your best arguments are met with skepticisim or even dismissed because you have shown very little balance in your approach.

BS. I don't hate or criticize all things Bombers. For example, I've been pumping Streveler as the starting QB for about a year now and I'm firmly on his side now he has the reins. Being met with skepticism isn't the same thing as others being right. Fans dismiss most things that get in the way of a Bomber love fest.

18 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Our biggest flaw fatale right now is not our defence. Yes, we got exposed for a couple games but realistically I believe we have the personnel to correct that before the playoffs. However, we are dead in the water if Streveler can't show an ability to stretch the field on offence. He's been figured out and teams are no longer respecting our passing attack and are shutting down what is a pretty one dimensional offence right now. We can't win the Grey Cup on Strev's legs.

The biggest flaw is the defence. Two weeks ago the offence, with Streveler, did more than enough to get the win. The defence lost that game. Last week both the offence and the defence lost the game. Note that doesn't mean that defence has been the problem all year, just 3 of the last 4 games.

Unless PLAP calls deep shots, Streveler won't show if he can or can't make the throws. I'd like to see the first play of the game this week be a deep throw to loosen up the Riders D. Make it or not, the DB's will have to respect it. More likely though, it will be a run or dump to Harris.

Edited by TBURGESS

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

But his passing has been getting better and better each week... No I don't think it's that, I really think it's a case of the play calling isn't doing him any favours because it's Lapo who doesn't trust his ability to run the offense. He just seems to think he's got a running back at qb. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

But his passing has been getting better and better each week... No I don't think it's that, I really think it's a case of the play calling isn't doing him any favours because it's Lapo who doesn't trust his ability to run the offense. He just seems to think he's got a running back at qb. 

Not quite. I some what agree. But against Hamilton, there was a few chances to go deep, and for whatever reason Streveler just never threw the ball.

Edited by Bigblue204

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Image result for you need to relax gif

Dude, it's a forum. The entire purpose of this place is to converse, discuss, and talk about things. I asked you a question and rather than answer it, you go on the defensive. No **** you don't make any decisions as far as the WFC's operations go. I posed the question to get your input in order to understand your view on the subject. You misinterpreted what I said, so I clarified my view in order for you to understand it better. So, I'll ask again: who's out you feel is a good replacement if a rebuild were to happen? It's not some unreasonable question and certainly not a reason for you to get upset by asking it.

I don't think anyone in this fanbase would disagree about this regime's playoff record since 2016. It is pretty embarrassing but I don't know how that means said regime isn't committed to winning a championship. Nothing I've seen or heard from anyone in this organization would lead me to make such a conclusion. That being said, I wish Hall would've been let go after last season and I'm steadfast in that even now.

And why does it matter what the media has to say on anything related to either this regime or the organization? Not one media member sees what happens behind closed doors.

You're the one that needs to relax as you jumped on me immediately like what I said was blasphemy. Right away you asked, Who would I replace MOS with? Like I have a magic answer. I don't know who is out there to replace anyone but status quo just can't be maintained with year after year of failure. It's not my job to find the next HC. That would be up to Walters. But we shouldn't keep coaches just by default. If they don't win after 6 seasons then it's time to move on.  All of our people in the front office from Wade Miller down to Kyle Walters, scouts , Mike O'Shea & his  coaches should be feeling the heat that if there is another year of failure as  jobs may be on the line. I don't get a sense this is the case at all.