The Canadian Mafia

White Out

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Considering I did list Hecht in my original post...  he would be the vet.

All the other moves they've made including Matthews are fine with me - there's just always one player on the starting roster where you go - this guy is going to cost us games... and he eventually does - its weird.

I think if they still had Trent Corney on the DL, they could make it work with a rotation of Thomas, Corney & Kongbo.  But alas, that ship has sailed.  

1 hour ago, Captain Blue said:

Miller, Walters and O'Shea are each the best person we've had in their respective jobs for nearly two decades.

They shouldn't and won't be going anywhere just yet.

This is the root of the problem with the Bombers. Coaches & management just satisfied with just winning games but not championships. If they don't step up then it's time to go. They have another year or maybe two to get it done. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is the root of the problem with the Bombers. Coaches & management just satisfied with just winning games but not championships. If they don't step up then it's time to go. They have another year or maybe two to get it done. 

If you think they're satisfied without championships, you're as crazy as White Out... 

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is the root of the problem with the Bombers. Coaches & management just satisfied with just winning games but not championships. If they don't step up then it's time to go. They have a year or maybe two to get it done. 

A grey cup would solve the attendance problem - full stop.  The average Winnipegger just assumes the Bombers are losing - as usual.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

If you think they're satisfied without championships, you're as crazy as White Out... 

O'Shea has to demand more from his coordinators. We can't just have same old status quo every year, Which is what we've had the last 3 years without any change. Change can't happen if change isn't done. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The problem here, is that angry irrational people don't like measured even keeled responses from coaches. They want the same fly off the handle rage they feel. 

Ok, rational thought, then.  When an opposing OL can contain the Bombers' pass rush, the defense is in trouble.  Hammy was going with 6 or 7 blockers, meaning the secondary only had 4 or 5 receivers to cover.  This has happened ad nauseum everytime an opposing OL did was OLs are supposed to do.  Do you consider this acceptable?  

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

A grey cup would solve the attendance problem - full stop.  The average Winnipegger just assumes the Bombers are losing - as usual.

You nailed it, Mark. I don't care who our Triad is. Whether they're Canadian or American. Just as long as they win.  Can they get it done? That's the question. 

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The problem here, is that angry irrational people don't like measured even keeled responses from coaches. They want the same fly off the handle rage they feel. 

I don't sense the rage here that you're referring to. Mostly disappointment & resignation as in here we go again. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Same OC for 4 seasons and the same issues. Same DC for 5 years and the same issues. People demanding a change are flying off the handle and are irrational?

I'll just say this as a fan. If we end up the same way as the last 29 years & get bounced from the playoffs with no coaching staff changes this off season I'll be furious. If we don't win then there is no way I want Hall or LaPo back. If O'Shea stands pat again this off season then watch the **** start flying with the Bomber fanbase. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, White Out said:

If the Bombers don't win a championship this year, you can't tell me that MOS is an automatic re-hire. But yes, I am clearly not paying attention to anything.

I'd say he is. He's a pretty good HC who just needs to be a bit more of a hardass like he was on the field.

I fully expect LaPolice to get a shot at HC somewhere in 2020. Where is anyone's guess. Hall, OTOH... He can **** off into the sunset for all I care.

Needless to say I don't think it's championship or bust for this regime. Not yet. I'd like to see this team make the big dance but that's just a personal preference.

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

he's a 100% a re hire. They will chop the coordinators well before MOS gets looked at.

So, are you just saying that this is what they will do? Or are you saying it is the right thing to do? Those are two totally different things, right.

Because, of course, you’re right - given that the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour - this organization will probably do exactly what you said. But that doesn’t make it the rational or appropriate thing to do.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'd say he is. He's a pretty good HC who just needs to be a bit more of a hardass like he was on the field.

I fully expect LaPolice to get a shot at HC somewhere in 2020. Where is anyone's guess. Hall, OTOH... He can **** off into the sunset for all I care.

Needless to say I don't think it's championship or bust for this regime. Not yet. I'd like to see this team make the big dance but that's just a personal preference.

But why shouldn't it be with the team that we have? Why shouldn't it be about winning a championship. How many more years are fans expected to be  patient & wait? THAT IS THE PROBLEM. There seems to be no expectations from the team that anything less is a huge failure. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

Miller, Walters and O'Shea are each the best person we've had in their respective jobs for nearly two decades.

That's a pretty subjective benchmark. 

He may be the best in 20 years but that doesn't necessarily/automatically make him the best/right guy for the job.

Being the best of a horrible lot doesn't mean you're good.

I’m not sure on what basis O’Shea earns these accolades. The best in a couple of decades?? What has he accomplished, actually?

Compare him to Cal Murphy. Murphy took the Blue to winning the Grey Cup in his second year. He did it again four years later and again two years after that. 

That is success that should buy you a long leash, and it did.  Cal was here until the end of the ‘96 in one capacity or another, a total run of some 14 years. Again, though, that’s with three cups captured, five appearances in the big game, and multiple trips to the divisional final. And even for Cal the rope eventually ran out, just 3years after his last Grey Cup appearance in 93. 

As blue and gold pointed out on the weekend, I think you will be hard-pressed to find any coach in the entire history of the CFL who has lasted into a 7th year without winning a division and – if the bombers stumble again in round one – with just one playoff win!

Yes, as do or die says, the lack of adjustments are frustrating…but the coach bears responsibility for that pattern too. They are his hires. And if he doesn’t know enough about O or D himself to make those adjustments just what the hell is he doing here? 5 years with this type of defense?? Would’ve never, EVER happened under Cal Murphy. 

5 minutes ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

I’m not sure on what basis O’Shea earns these accolades. The best in a couple of decades?? What has he accomplished, actually?

Compare him to Cal Murphy. Murphy took the Blue to winning the Grey Cup in his second year. He did it again four years later and again two years after that. 

That is success that should buy you a long leash, and it did.  Cal was here until the end of the ‘96 in one capacity or another, a total run of some 14 years. Again, though, that’s with three cups captured, five appearances in the big game, and multiple trips to the divisional final. And even for Cal the rope eventually ran out, just 3years after his last Grey Cup appearance in 93. 

As blue and gold pointed out on the weekend, I think you will be hard-pressed to find any coach in the entire history of the CFL who has lasted into a 7th year without winning a division and – if the bombers stumble again in round one – with just one playoff win!

Yes, as do or die says, the lack of adjustments are frustrating…but the coach bears responsibility for that pattern too. They are his hires. And if he doesn’t know enough about O or D himself to make those adjustments just what the hell is he doing here? 5 years with this type of defense?? Would’ve never, EVER happened under Cal Murphy. 

Someone says MOS is the best coach we've had in a couple of decades and you compare him to a legend from 3 decades ago. :35_thinking:

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Someone says MOS is the best coach we've had in a couple of decades and you compare him to a legend from 3 decades ago. :35_thinking:

Not saying whether or not to keep him no matter what happens, but being the best of the last two decades is definitely not a reason to keep him.

Also, Doug Berry probably would have won a Grey Cup, if he had the chance O'Shea has had here.

Edited by Mark F

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Wow, you’re really parsing this, eh? A “couple of decades” takes us to 1999. Cal Murphy finished in 1996. 

That’s 23 years ago.

Again, I ask, why so eager to protect O’Shea? He’s not good enough to be compared to the greats in our history?  It’s OK to compose rhetorical flourishes that talk about “the best in decades“ but 2.3 decades is… ‘No, now you’ve gone too far!?’

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

6 minutes ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Wow, you’re really parsing this, eh? A “couple of decades” takes us to 1999. Cal Murphy finished in 1996. 

That’s 23 years ago.

Again, I ask, why so eager to protect O’Shea? He’s not good enough to be compared to the greats in our history?  It’s OK to compose rhetorical flourishes that talk about “the best in decades“ but 2.3 decades is… ‘No, now you’ve gone too far!?’

No one is saying that MOS is better than Cal. But since Cal, which is what they're arguing, he's been the best. No parsing.