Since the LDC

Wanna-B-Fanboy

I realize this is not the team I (most people) thought they were. we are not a top tier team, more of a upper end of middling team. 

Going forward, I will still support the team, absolutely root for them- but with no expectations anymore, cuz that is not healthy.

Am I wrong in this line of thinking? 

How about you guys? Are you also having to consciously suppress the involuntary urge to throw your remote through the TV screen screaming "throw the ******* ball!"? Or am I overreacting? 

Has anyone else changed their expectations of the team recently?

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

That is a good question. As for me I moved out to Calgary about 18 years ago. When I lived in the Peg (moved there from Dallas in 1981) I was true blue fan. Season tickets and all - lived and died each game. When I moved to Calgary for a number of years I maintained my season tickets in the Peg even though I also have season tickets for the Stamps. Then over the say, last 5 years or so I have become more or less emotionally detached. I don't watch all the games - I tape them and then decide if I want to watch them afterwards. I use to yell and scream at the TV (drove my better half nuts!). Now I watch the game with more or less a detached overview. If they win I am happy - if they lose; well life does go on. I think I have changed into more of a CFL football supporter than a Bomber supporter. In an hour or so I will be watching the Edmonton-Ottawa game and then the Rider-Argo game mixed in with some NCAA football.

So bottom line I have moved from a live or die with the Bombers to more of  casual fan. 

43 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I realize this is not the team I (most people) thought they were. we are not a top tier team, more of a upper end of middling team. 

Going forward, I will still support the team, absolutely root for them- but with no expectations anymore, cuz that is not healthy.

How about you guys? Are you also having to consciously suppress the involuntary urge to throw your remote through the TV screen screaming "throw the ******* ball!"? Or am I overreacting? 

Has anyone else changed their expectations of the team recently?

After last week's meltdown I was pretty choked. Because of that performance (and the other 2 similar losses that preceded it) I had no expectations of anything approaching a dominant performance last night and didn't feel near as bad then or now.

From a psychological POV the #1 reason for sadness/disappointment/unhappiness is...un-met expectations.

From that perspective your solution absolutely makes the most sense/will do the most to shield you from the feelings of disgust

Edited by Deiter Fan

My expectations have been elevated since Nichols unfortunate demise.  Big Chris is exciting to watch play and there's is no reason for fans not to expect him to get better.   I also believe everyone in the Bombers organization wants to win.....who doesn't like winning lol so in my mind I can only assume they are doing everything they can to make it happen......... I enjoy the comments here from the knowledgable football people,  I like  watching week to week to see which comments were most accurate.   Even with the recent losses this is still a very entertaining season as a bomber fan ...... no reason to ever give up in the CFL....  at least not until you are mathematically  eliminated...or ousted from the playoffs.  Then let the heads roll all off season !

Even though I post a lot here I'm not the passionate fan I used to be but I still enjoy talking football with you guys. I can honestly say that being a poster here has kept me engaged as a Bomber fan. Without the discussions here I doubt I'd still be the Bomber fan that I am.

I don't get upset much anymore or as excited as I once did although those 2 game losses vs the Argos & Als did piss me off which doesn't happen very often. The game yesterday just made me feel numb. I wasn't angry & it didn't bother me they lost. I used to get so excited going to Bomber games when I resided in Winnipeg & I lived & died with every victory or loss but now my excitement just seem muted.

The decades of disappointment since 1990 has taken it's toll on me as a fan. Now, I kind of expect the team to suck in huge games & sadly they usually do.  I thought this may have been the year we finally break the 29 year drought but I now realize this team isn't going anywhere. I still cheer for the Bombers but I see so much incompetencty with our coaches & the Bombers seeming unwillingness to change that it's hard not to have a low bar regarding expectations. I'll still watch every game wanting the Bombers to win but I have zero expectations now. I just don't know what the Bombers expect their fans to feel anymore. They seem to be happy just being a winning team instead of a championship team.

For me, I just can't accept that so I've just kinda tuned out emotionally as a Bomber fan. If I do then I'm not as invested in the team as a fan & the losses don't hurt as much. I guess it's like having a security blanket so the losses don't hurt anymore. It's sad that I've lost that passion I used to have. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2019-09-28 at 12:57 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

yes. 

It's the same team it has been for the last few years. They win when they take care of the ball and generate turnovers and big plays on special teams. That's the way they are coached. **** up less than the other guys. 

They've ****** up a bit too much the last while but this is a team that is destined to always be in close games, and when the margin of error is slim sometimes you lose. 

On 2019-09-28 at 8:41 PM, Mark H. said:

After 2009, I no longer get very high or very low about the Bombers.  I love watching football or attending a game on Friday evenings, but during the Burke era I even stopped doing that.  I’m as diehard as they come, but I do have my limits. 

The Burke era was as close as I've ever come to not buying  tickets/attending games. Just couldn't handle the BS on or off the field.

I thought I was rabid.....and then I moved out west. I've never been more of a Bombers/Jets/All-Things-Manitoba fan than I am now. If it was socially acceptable to walk around in a bison costume 365 days a year, I'd be doing it. It's just not in my DNA to fall off like some of you say you have...

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I thought I was rabid.....and then I moved out west. I've never been more of a Bombers/Jets/All-Things-Manitoba fan than I am now. If it was socially acceptable to walk around in a bison costume 365 days a year, I'd be doing it. It's just not in my DNA to fall off like some of you say you have...

This is how the pain of the lowest lows and the thrill of the highest highs of Blue Bomber fandom are achieved... when you know you could be better off not giving a sh!t, but you also know you just can’t help bleeding blue and gold.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Don't get it twisted. I still showed up every game and stayed until the final whistle. The thoughts just came up that maybe I could find a more useful application of my money and time.

15 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Don't get it twisted. I still showed up every game and stayed until the final whistle. The thoughts just came up that maybe I could find a more useful application of my money and time.

Oh there is absolutely no doubt about this......but then I think "what makes me happier than anything else in the world?" -- "Bombers game day". And until that changes (hint: It won't) I think I'm still locked in to the hardest of the hardcore. 

On ‎2019‎-‎09‎-‎28 at 2:22 PM, BBRT said:

That is a good question. As for me I moved out to Calgary about 18 years ago. When I lived in the Peg (moved there from Dallas in 1981) I was true blue fan. Season tickets and all - lived and died each game. When I moved to Calgary for a number of years I maintained my season tickets in the Peg even though I also have season tickets for the Stamps. Then over the say, last 5 years or so I have become more or less emotionally detached. I don't watch all the games - I tape them and then decide if I want to watch them afterwards. I use to yell and scream at the TV (drove my better half nuts!). Now I watch the game with more or less a detached overview. If they win I am happy - if they lose; well life does go on. I think I have changed into more of a CFL football supporter than a Bomber supporter. In an hour or so I will be watching the Edmonton-Ottawa game and then the Rider-Argo game mixed in with some NCAA football.

So bottom line I have moved from a live or die with the Bombers to more of  casual fan. 

Don't feel bad, most Stamp fans are casual fans.

7 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Don't feel bad, most Stamp fans are casual fans.

Sometimes it is very hard to get a message across. I do live in Calgary I do have season tickets to the Stamps games -they are a business write off. I have moved more from a die hard  Bomber Fan to more of a casual Bomber Fan. Still watch the games when I can. Still try and get to the Peg once a year if possible and try and catch one game. Happy if/when they win but do not get too down when they don't. I think MOS is an adequate HC - I believe Plop will move on and Richie Hall will be turfed at the end of year. As for most Stamps fans being casual fans might have some truth there. Enjoy the pros and cons here and will always will Still remember freezing my butt off down by the Bay when they had the parade after the 1984 Grey Cup Win! 

1 hour ago, BBRT said:

Sometimes it is very hard to get a message across. I do live in Calgary I do have season tickets to the Stamps games -they are a business write off. I have moved more from a die hard  Bomber Fan to more of a casual Bomber Fan. Still watch the games when I can. Still try and get to the Peg once a year if possible and try and catch one game. Happy if/when they win but do not get too down when they don't. I think MOS is an adequate HC - I believe Plop will move on and Richie Hall will be turfed at the end of year. As for most Stamps fans being casual fans might have some truth there. Enjoy the pros and cons here and will always will Still remember freezing my butt off down by the Bay when they had the parade after the 1984 Grey Cup Win! 

Just ribbing you BBRT. You are far more complimentary about the Stamps than the Bombers this year, despite the two teams showing some real similarities so I bug you when you compliment them but criticize us.