GDT - Little Kitties @ Blue Bombers

JCon

I'm fine with Lapo as OC, he does design some good looking stuff but it's time to get Buck calling the plays and if Lapo won't give up the role, then show him the door.

As for Hall, his defense has been folding in crunch time all year, not sure what the answer is there, probably what Oshea said about needing to sniff out the problem on film. 

8 hours ago, pigseye said:

I'm fine with Lapo as OC, he does design some good looking stuff but it's time to get Buck calling the plays and if Lapo won't give up the role, then show him the door.

As for Hall, his defense has been folding in crunch time all year, not sure what the answer is there, probably what Oshea said about needing to sniff out the problem on film. 

well after listening to the coach's show on CJOB, it doesn't seem like O'Shea thinks there's a problem.  Not with talent, not with coaching, not with scheme.  Now, it's they weren't playing "tough enough".  He honestly believes that they gave up the kind of yardage they did in the secondary because they weren't tough enough!?  They were playing 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage again.  He also went on to say they play a lot of man coverage and defended Hall's schemes saying he's "one hell of a coach".  He actually rattled off the last drive against Montreal saying they played zone on 3 of the big plays, and then man on a knockdown.  OK!?  So what are you really trying to say coach?  The one knockdown should be praised, and the rest of the lacklustre effort forgiven!?

I don't know if he's shrugging this off as a mind game for the Riders, or if he actually believes what he's saying!?  Because if he doesn't think there's anything wrong with the way the secondary has been playing, he's delusional.   He made the comment about how they "made some adjustments" for the 2nd half against Hamilton, and only allowed 51 yards passing against.... wow, congrats.  You don't think they made adjustments too, and threw in a little more run into their play calling?  They were trying to run out clock, the same way we try to when we've got a lead.  Only difference is, they held theirs with good defence!

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

well after listening to the coach's show on CJOB, it doesn't seem like O'Shea thinks there's a problem.  Not with talent, not with coaching, not with scheme.  Now, it's they weren't playing "tough enough".  He honestly believes that they gave up the kind of yardage they did in the secondary because they weren't tough enough!?  They were playing 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage again.  He also went on to say they play a lot of man coverage and defended Hall's schemes saying he's "one hell of a coach".  He actually rattled off the last drive against Montreal saying they played zone on 3 of the big plays, and then man on a knockdown.  OK!?  So what are you really trying to say coach?  The one knockdown should be praised, and the rest of the lacklustre effort forgiven!?

I don't know if he's shrugging this off as a mind game for the Riders, or if he actually believes what he's saying!?  Because if he doesn't think there's anything wrong with the way the secondary has been playing, he's delusional.   He made the comment about how they "made some adjustments" for the 2nd half against Hamilton, and only allowed 51 yards passing against.... wow, congrats.  You don't think they made adjustments too, and threw in a little more run into their play calling?  They were trying to run out clock, the same way we try to when we've got a lead.  Only difference is, they held theirs with good defence!

And this is why I believe that O'Shea has used up all of his Mulligans. He just cannot see that there are any significant core problems.

Soon, all teams will figure out what Hamilton did to us by adding extra linemen and throwing quick passes. But will we continue to throw extra bodies right back at them? Or do we figure to throw less bodies at them (say 3 in rotation) and take away those quick passes?

We couldn’t get near Evans before he threw those passes because we abandoned the areas where he threw them. What if we didn’t abandon those areas and forced his hand? Those plays wouldn’t work any longer, and those are the ones that killed us last game.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Soon, all teams will figure out what Hamilton did to us by adding extra linemen and throwing quick passes. But will we continue to throw extra bodies right back at them? Or do we figure to throw less bodies at them (say 3 in rotation) and take away those quick passes?

We couldn’t get near Evans before he threw those passes because we abandoned the areas where he threw them. What if we didn’t abandon those areas and forced his hand? Those plays wouldn’t work any longer, and those are the ones that killed us last game.

Richie Hall has always emptied out the flats...  that’s not going to change

5 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

It seems like the better teams in the league use a system that allows for fluid counter punches. We don't. Our systems appear to be rigid and when adjustments are made breakdowns occur. 

As to your point above, we can study film, figure out what they're doing, and devise a plan to stop it. When we do, they have plan B at the ready and shred us to bits with it before we can adjust. We don't adjust well. We're too slow to adapt. Like the stubborn old dinosaurs we're going to find ourselves extinct. Or so it seems to me.

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

And this is why I believe that O'Shea has used up all of his Mulligans. He just cannot see that there are any significant core problems.

why do fans think that what is said in public is same as what is said in private? MOS best quality is that he's not going to rant and rave about problems in public....everything stays in house.

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

why do fans think that what is said in public is same as what is said in private? MOS best quality is that he's not going to rant and rave about problems in public....everything stays in house.

For the same reason that some people think that MOS is different behind closed doors without being there themselves. Neither side KNOWS, but both sides BELIEVE they do.

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

For the same reason that some people think that MOS is different behind closed doors without being there themselves. Neither side KNOWS, but both sides BELIEVE they do.

lots of evidence in the different category though... remember the "matthews will be a big part of this team" talk a couple weeks before his release?

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

That's your 'evidence' that MOS is a hard ass behind the scenes? LOL

it is evidence that what is said to the media is not the same as what is said behind closed doors.

here is another, you never hear oshea say bad things about players in the media but during a miced up game he immediately gave Grant **** for taking a return wide rather than going up the middle. 

So where is your evidence to support your stance?

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

it is evidence that what is said to the media is not the same as what is said behind closed doors.

here is another, you never hear oshea say bad things about players in the media but during a miced up game he immediately gave Grant **** for taking a return wide rather than going up the middle. 

I meant to post this earlier and forgot......that example of MOS during a mic-ed up game giving **** to a co-ordinator, it was Hall. During one of the classic "zero DL pressure, and receivers wide open in the second level" games, MOS could be heard very angry talking to Richie....

On 2019-09-30 at 12:03 PM, pigseye said:

Lapo has no screen game which is completely crucial in this era.  He doesn’t understand how to blend protections with his routes to give the QB a chance vs the blitz and use the open space created...we’ve seen this with every QB, Streveler can break tackles so that helps a lot.

When he whips out the lateral misdirection it often works great, but he has shown no ability to sustain that more than a drive or two per game.  We are hugely reliant on Harris to be a monster as an offense.  The basics of a 21st century passing game are non-existent.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I think we can all agree that MOS lies to reporters.

My stance? I don't know what goes on behind closed doors and I don't pretend that I do.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think we can all agree that MOS lies to reporters.

My stance? I don't know what goes on behind closed doors and I don't pretend that I do.

and the contention I am making is simply that what he says to reporters is different than what gets said behind closed doors. It seems you agree with that, so why be so obtuse?

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lapo has no screen game which is completely crucial in this era.  He doesn’t understand how to blend protections with his routes to give the QB a chance vs the blitz and use the open space created...we’ve seen this with every QB, Streveler can break tackles so that helps a lot.

When he whips out the lateral misdirection it often works great, but he has shown no ability to sustain that more than a drive or two per game.  We are hugely reliant on Harris to be a monster as an offense.  The basics of a 21st century passing game are non-existent.

Saw glimpses of it in the pre season, which really surprised me. But that was all just a horrible horrible joke on us.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

and the contention I am making is simply that what he says to reporters is different than what gets said behind closed doors. It seems you agree with that, so why be so obtuse?

Because you're pretending you know what he is saying behind closed doors. (I can't believe I had to type that.... thought it was obvious)

47 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Because you're pretending you know what he is saying behind closed doors. (I can't believe I had to type that.... thought it was obvious)

Actually I am not pretending anything, I am saying that based on the evidence that we can see what gets said to reporters is different than what gets said within the team. We have seen O'Shea being hard on players and coaches in game when the mic is on, but he never says that in the press. 

Like I said, you are simply being obtuse and arguing a losing point, as per your MO. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Actually I am not pretending anything, I am saying that based on the evidence that we can see what gets said to reporters is different than what gets said within the team. We have seen O'Shea being hard on players and coaches in game when the mic is on, but he never says that in the press. 

Like I said, you are simply being obtuse and arguing a losing point, as per your MO. 

Like I said. You're not behind the closed doors, so you opinion of what goes on there is useless. You're just projecting what you'd like to think that MOS is saying behind closed doors then saying everyone who doesn't agree with your take is wrong. Kinda your MO.