Nichols out for the year

Jpan85

33 minutes ago, johnzo said:

and so yeah, it's annoying to me too to see keyboard warriors calling out football players as cowardly or timid. Especially a guy like Nichols who has come back from some pretty gruesome injuries in his career and who is a huge reason for the team's turnaround since 2016.

the fact that he even wanted to come back and play football after the gruesome leg injury he sustained in Edmonton tells you all you need to know about his grit and toughness. His decision making in the pocket has zero to do with toughness... he gets rid of the ball to avoid getting hit, sure, but isn't that the nature of the game?  Not many can be Mike Reilly and sit in there and just take repeated beatings game after game and expect to last!   If he's played his last game here, he will be remembered as a good game manager with a winning record as a Bomber.  Wasn't the flashiest, but did enough to get the job done more often than not.

That said, I'm excited to see how Streveler progresses.  I think we're in very capable hands with him under centre moving forward!

Edited by trueBlue83

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

he's said no to Walters already...he's not coming back. Bombers aren't bringing in an "experienced" back-up. Ride or die with Strevelation...

he said no based on coming in as a backup I'm pretty sure.... if, god forbid, Streveler was to go down, that changes the whole scenario.  Glenn would be coming back with the understanding that the keys are his and he will play.  He wouldn't leave the couch for any less I'm sure!

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'd go for that, MBT has exceeded low expectations and has proven himself to be a gamer.  He's totally unflappable, he's played through a shitshow in T.O. without blinking, just imagine what he could do with a decent offence and protection in front of him.  He's the perfect backup and I can't really see Jim Popp moving him but then again, he's the one that decided it was a good idea to pay Collaros $400,000+ to sit on the sidelines sipping lattes all season, so you never know....

He can't win with Derrell Walker. None of our qbs have anyone close to the game breaking skill level of that guy so how would MBT do here? Probably struggle. There are better qbs that will be available out there but we won't be one of the teams looking in the off season. 

1 minute ago, trueBlue83 said:

he said no based on coming in as a backup I'm pretty sure.... if, god forbid, Streveler was to go down, that changes the whole scenario.  Glenn would be coming back with the understanding that the keys are his and he will play.  He wouldn't leave the couch for any less I'm sure!

Call it a hot take, if you will, but I'd still give the ball to McGuire ahead of Glenn. SM has been in camp all year and will understand our playbook a lot faster than it would take Glenn to get up to speed. I pray this is all a moo point, but if we're playing "What If...?", I think I'd give it to McGuire before freaking out and giving KG5 the moon to come in late season...

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Call it a hot take, if you will, but I'd still give the ball to McGuire ahead of Glenn. SM has been in camp all year and will understand our playbook a lot faster than it would take Glenn to get up to speed. I pray this is all a moo point, but if we're playing "What If...?", I think I'd give it to McGuire before freaking out and giving KG5 the moon to come in late season...

Oh, I agree... McGuire should definitely be your next man up.  The thought of him being the #1 at this point though is mighty scary.  Not that I don't think the potential is there, but my god, if you're now down to your #3 for the home stretch!   Yikes!   I'm sure a few other calls would be made in that scenario!

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

And they would give the ball to McGuire. O’Shea said as much on the pregame show. They only offered Glenn the number 3 spot when they first talked.

McGuire’s is well thought of...

After watching last night's game, I am really more concerned than ever about Lapo, Hall and MOS. I don't think it will matter what QB is put in, Streveler with his ability to run and throw medium to short passes, McGuire with his ability to throw in the pocket or whomever, I don't think any will be successful. Even Nichols as successful as many here think he was within the system will never be successful because of the restraints that are put on because of the system LaPo implements. Yes our offense leads the league in many categories but that does not translate into wins, in fact it translates into losses with his don't lose philosophy late in games. On the defensive side as has been mentioned before, the bend don't break philosophy is proving to be problematic in many ways and again while it may sustain the team for most of the game it fails when needed most. And then there is MOS, the what second most tenured coach in Blue Bomber history and is barely above if above the 500 mark in wins and losses. He perchance for loyalty beyond the pale is disturbing and counter procuctive. The lack of preparation (referring to grooming QBs) is not unlike what we have seen before in Bomber town but why continue down a non productive path? And personal selection is yet another which I put on all of the above along with Walters. It has become painfully obvious, especially against eastern teams, that our secondary is absolutely terrible. Our safety is very vocal but cannot play to the level of his talk. Our defenders are great chasing the receiver but never look for the ball and are constantly beaten. They play back far too much from the line....is this because they are afraid the receiver will beat them.....well they do and with regularity. I find it difficult to rationalize that this is entirely the player but rather the paly design.. If for example a player is playing too far from the line why isn't someone telling them to move up or coaching on the sidlines. Why are adjustments not made at half time? That to me is coaching 101. And has anyone mentioned the drop off of play our start middle linebacker? He seems to be running all over the place while leaving the middle of the field wide open hence in the past two games huge completions in front of our great safety with Bighill nowhere in sight!

There are problems in Bomberville whether we want to believe it or not and it is not all on Streveler or the players. Yes they did not execute well but boy our play calling and coaching is not good and will never get us to the Grey Cup. I believe that to be a reality even though I hope I am wrong

1 hour ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

After watching last night's game, I am really more concerned than ever about Lapo, Hall and MOS. I don't think it will matter what QB is put in, Streveler with his ability to run and throw medium to short passes, McGuire with his ability to throw in the pocket or whomever, I don't think any will be successful. Even Nichols as successful as many here think he was within the system will never be successful because of the restraints that are put on because of the system LaPo implements. Yes our offense leads the league in many categories but that does not translate into wins, in fact it translates into losses with his don't lose philosophy late in games. On the defensive side as has been mentioned before, the bend don't break philosophy is proving to be problematic in many ways and again while it may sustain the team for most of the game it fails when needed most. And then there is MOS, the what second most tenured coach in Blue Bomber history and is barely above if above the 500 mark in wins and losses. He perchance for loyalty beyond the pale is disturbing and counter procuctive. The lack of preparation (referring to grooming QBs) is not unlike what we have seen before in Bomber town but why continue down a non productive path? And personal selection is yet another which I put on all of the above along with Walters. It has become painfully obvious, especially against eastern teams, that our secondary is absolutely terrible. Our safety is very vocal but cannot play to the level of his talk. Our defenders are great chasing the receiver but never look for the ball and are constantly beaten. They play back far too much from the line....is this because they are afraid the receiver will beat them.....well they do and with regularity. I find it difficult to rationalize that this is entirely the player but rather the paly design.. If for example a player is playing too far from the line why isn't someone telling them to move up or coaching on the sidlines. Why are adjustments not made at half time? That to me is coaching 101. And has anyone mentioned the drop off of play our start middle linebacker? He seems to be running all over the place while leaving the middle of the field wide open hence in the past two games huge completions in front of our great safety with Bighill nowhere in sight!

There are problems in Bomberville whether we want to believe it or not and it is not all on Streveler or the players. Yes they did not execute well but boy our play calling and coaching is not good and will never get us to the Grey Cup. I believe that to be a reality even though I hope I am wrong

just to be clear - you are not wrong. lots of issues in Bomber land. They have always been there just masked with a few easy wins against bad teams. Now we are one of the bad teams heading no where in the fast lane.

2 hours ago, BBRT said:

just to be clear - you are not wrong. lots of issues in Bomber land. They have always been there just masked with a few easy wins against bad teams. Now we are one of the bad teams heading no where in the fast lane.

We have beaten:

Calgary,

Saskatchewan,

Edmonton,

BC,

Toronto,

and Ottawa. 

Surely, there are more than two good teams in the CFL? 

On 2019-09-27 at 5:16 PM, Noeller said:

he's said no to Walters already...he's not coming back. Bombers aren't bringing in an "experienced" back-up. Ride or die with Strevelation...

If a home play off game gets much closer to slipping away I wouldnt be surprised if they pick up a vet.

On 2019-09-28 at 10:44 PM, Dodge and Burn said:

MBT would be light years ahead of what we have to play with right now. 

He's actually really good but he has great receivers to spread the ball around too which really helps. If we are making a deal for MBT hopefully we also see a receiver coming with him. 

19 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

No doubt.  Some rural folk 'round these parts - believe the moon landings were trick photography...

The small worlds some people live in are just sad. 

rural Alberta is the second most backwards place I've ever lived, only slightly behind Winkler/Morden......it is INSANE the things people believe.