Nichols out for the year

Jpan85

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Third option: streveler is such a weapon with his running that him taking off becomes the check down.

This is a big part of it... anytime Strev takes off after checking reads with the O-line in pass protect you can basically assume that would have been a checkdown pass from Nichols

Strev has turned a couple of those into HUGE gains, and a bunch into 2-5 yard gains.  Harris turned most of those checkdowns into 2-5 yard gains and in a couple he broke a tackle for a big first down / big gain.

Problem is now the opposing defense can't just key in on Harris when play starts breaking down.

2 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

This is valid and a fair point. 

That is in a sense Strevelers check down...something Nichols didn't bring, so Streveler has 2 check down options...if he shows like he may run, people are gonna converge on him, and if he can get that ball out to Harris...then there will be big yards to be gained

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I really don't think the Bombers are trading for an "experienced" QB at this point. They're going to roll with what they've got, for better or for worse...

The way this season is going, we're going to have two raw rookies starting at QB in the Grey Cup. Probably at least one that's not on a CFL roster right now. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Third option: streveler is such a weapon with his running that him taking off becomes the check down.

Comment by Micah Johnson , who had just benched 485 lbs , that Streveler had run through a couple of his tackle attempts, so he felt the need to work on strength 

1 hour ago, Deiter Fan said:

At the risk of backlash from injecting myself into a semantical discussion...

It is completely possible to be timid, scared or even cowardly situationally without it defining the entirety of a person's character. You should see me when a bat gets in the house.

Every one of us knows of a qb that has, at some point, become gun-shy. Hell I bet every one of us has commented on how Drew Willy's experiences changed him as a qb but I doubt any of us would consider that those effects translated to the rest of his life/character.

It really is unfortunate that this happened to Matt because after the stellar performance he put up not long prior to his injury he may have been well on his way to exorcising any demons he may have been harbouring.

I would disagree.  There is a reason that such words as timid, scared or gun-shy exist, because one can legitimately be scared or timid, or gun-shy and at the same time, not be cowardly or a coward.  Just because you don't like bats, and act in a scared fashion, does not make you a coward.  The use of words like "coward" which carries all sorts of connotations,  should only be done with the greatest of care.  Language is a powerful thing.

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

That is in a sense Strevelers check down...something Nichols didn't bring, so Streveler has 2 check down options...if he shows like he may run, people are gonna converge on him, and if he can get that ball out to Harris...then there will be big yards to be gained

I think as Streveler gets more comfortable, not only will this scenario play out, but he'll keep his eyes downfield and connect on a few bombs because the LB corps is stuck spying and making sure he doesn't take off running.  I really do think Streveler is poised to have a 300+ yard passing game sometime here in the next few weeks.   Here's hoping it's tonight!!

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

I would disagree.  There is a reason that such words as timid, scared or gun-shy exist, because one can legitimately be scared or timid, or gun-shy and at the same time, not be cowardly or a coward.  Just because you don't like bats, and act in a scared fashion, does not make you a coward.  The use of words like "coward" which carries all sorts of connotations,  should only be done with the greatest of care.  Language is a powerful thing.

Timid is literally a synonym for cowardly. Which is why I labeled the debate as one of semantics. I am intimately aware of the ability of words to harm, assuage, manipulate and motivate...a sentiment eloquently expressed in this quote from the final Harry Potter movie...

“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.” 

As I said it's a semantical argument and one I am perfectly willing to forgo for forum harmony...so I'll leave it here...one act, one moment, one situation does not define the breadth, scope or character of a man. It is possible to behave heroically in one situation without being a hero and it is possible to behave cowardly in another and not be a coward and I recognize that not everyone will perceive it the same way.

Cheers.

43 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Do you get any perks being the King of Semantics, or is it largely just a ceremonial position?

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

A trade for MBT is almost a necessity at this point.  Not a huge fan of his but the only guy available who can play a bit, and we're really relying on Harris and D anyway.  We can coo over McGuire but if Streveler goes down we don't have a QB on the roster that's thrown a meaningful professional pass. 

4th round pick that could work it's way up as high as a 1st rounder if MBT throws the Grey Cup winning TD pass for the Bombers.

I'd go for that, MBT has exceeded low expectations and has proven himself to be a gamer.  He's totally unflappable, he's played through a shitshow in T.O. without blinking, just imagine what he could do with a decent offence and protection in front of him.  He's the perfect backup and I can't really see Jim Popp moving him but then again, he's the one that decided it was a good idea to pay Collaros $400,000+ to sit on the sidelines sipping lattes all season, so you never know....

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

13 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I'm not sure if a group of anonymous posters should really discuss courage and cowardice.

Can I come over to your place and look through your dresser drawers and closets...maybe have a look in your computer and phone?

Valuing one's privacy/anonymity is hardly cowardly. It's rational and reasonable.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

I'm not sure if a group of anonymous posters should really discuss courage and cowardice.

yeah.

I have respect for almost any pro football player who can go out week after week and perform in an elite setting.  The level of dedication, discipline and perseverance one needs to get to even the CFL level is way beyond anything I've ever accomplished, and I've got accomplishments that I'm plenty proud of.  That's not to say that all football players are saints deserving our worship, or that I'd even like any of them as people, or that they're entitled to a spot on the Bombers.  It's just that I respect how hard they've worked to get to this place where they can entertain me.  Doesn't matter whether it's Chris Walby or Michael Bishop or Roc Carmichael or Willy Jefferson.  Respect 'em all.

and so yeah, it's annoying to me too to see keyboard warriors calling out football players as cowardly or timid. Especially a guy like Nichols who has come back from some pretty gruesome injuries in his career and who is a huge reason for the team's turnaround since 2016. especially as a starting QB who has to find targets downfield and keep his cool while people like Shawn Lemon are trying to ******* behead him.

(I dunno about you, but if Shawn Lemon were coming for me, completing a pass downfield would be the last thing I'd worry about, because I am programmed to think like a rational human being and not like a quarterback)

Edited by johnzo