Nichols out for the year

Jpan85

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

As I have tried to explain, blame the design of the offence not the qb. You see how many times streveler went downfield on passes last week? It's lapo likes the short game.

I hear what you are saying........ but a ten yard short throw a few times in those situations would have been more confidence building for all of us..

In the end it doesn't really matter what fans think, it's unlikely O'Shea would agree it's wise to let Matt walk away.  Unless Walters is unable to come to contract terms or he decides to move him for assets and roll with Streveler, I fully expect Nichols back next year.  Like him or not, he's the QB that lifted them to the top of the heap.

We have 5 games to fine tune Streveler now...knowing he is the man for the year...those games, coupled with the progress he's shown in the last 3 starts will do wonders for him...he will have by then seen what he needs to see...probably had a few learning moments, but also find his areas he can exploit too...I don't think he has the make-up to falter, and not be successful and he will do whatever he has to...will be if anything fun to witness

I also think as well come cold playoff weather time his style of play, and the threat to run he is gonna have teams cheating on will really open up other things for him...that he will have seen and figured out how to take advantage of...for all his brute power and what seems like reckless abandon...he is also uber smart, and from reports here, and in College he learns fast and basically picks up a correction in one try...you show him..tell him..coach him..or he learns via an error...he rarely goes back to the same gaff

Bang on about the up coming cold weather and the running game...Streveler is the best running qb. in the land (sorry Reilly) and that is a huge bonus....While guys like Bo are glued to the pocket (much of his game is played there any way) you know he definitely won't be using his legs to hurt you...enter Streve...I'm actually looking forward to the hard slugging in the cold ,with Andrew and Chris pounding out the yardage... Big advantage us

What Streveler brings is not just the run, but also just the threat to run. That causes the DBs and linebackers in particular to pause a second or two to assess the play and that can enough to allow a receiver to break open. If/when Streveler is allowed to fully use the pass as an option rather than run-first-pass-if-you-have-to appro If Strevelrach which caused the loss against Montreal when they adjusted to it the team ought to be almost unstoppable.,

56 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Bang on about the up coming cold weather and the running game...Streveler is the best running qb. in the land (sorry Reilly) and that is a huge bonus....While guys like Bo are glued to the pocket (much of his game is played there any way) you know he definitely won't be using his legs to hurt you...enter Streve...I'm actually looking forward to the hard slugging in the cold ,with Andrew and Chris pounding out the yardage... Big advantage us

The thought of our two-beast backfield feasting in the playoffs is awesome, yeah, but I'm worried about the pounding Streveller is gonna take.  He'll have a bullseye on him.

I’m starting to come around on streveler.  Still not sold on his passing accuracy but I’m hopeful that with more game time the game will slow down for him and he’ll look for secondary receivers vs take off all the time.  

My hope is that the team will dump Lapo in the off season and hand the reins over to buck. He’ll know how to design an offence for streveler. 

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

There’s really no other adequate descriptor. 

To suggest someone is a coward, or has done something in a cowardly manner, is to speak to their character as a person in some of the harshest terms possible.  Unless you know Nichols personally, or have been in the same position as him (ie: a profession football player) then the comment  that you made speaks far more to your character than  it does his, and what it says is not flattering to you in any way.  You embarrass yourself, sir and you should stop.

11 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I’m starting to come around on streveler.  Still not sold on his passing accuracy but I’m hopeful that with more game time the game will slow down for him and he’ll look for secondary receivers vs take off all the time.  

My hope is that the team will dump Lapo in the off season and hand the reins over to buck. He’ll know how to design an offence for streveler. 

Definitely in the exact same boat...

25 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

To suggest someone is a coward, or has done something in a cowardly manner, is to speak to their character as a person in some of the harshest terms possible.  Unless you know Nichols personally, or have been in the same position as him (ie: a profession football player) then the comment  that you made speaks far more to your character than  it does his, and what it says is not flattering to you in any way.  You embarrass yourself, sir and you should stop.

Calling something specific someone does as cowardly hardly characterizes them personally as a coward. Get off your high horse. 

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

That's a **** response and you know it. But sure... You respect Matt Nichols.

I suppose by that ironclad logic, every other QB who performs a checkdown is also cowardly in doing so.

I should clarify in the interest of full disclosure. When I call his checkdowns cowardly, I don’t mean cowardly in the sense that I feel he’s afraid of getting hit. I don’t think that at all. I mean cowardly in the sense that there came a point in time where he was petrified to make a mistake to the degree in which is was significantly detrimental to the team. 

The fact is, the number of checkdowns went down significantly with Streveler at QB which leads me to two possible conclusions. Either they were never being called at the frequency that Nichols was resorting to them, or Lapolice had limited confidence that Nichols could push the ball even to an intermediate level once his confidence was shot. Either option isn’t flattering. 

59 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

To suggest someone is a coward, or has done something in a cowardly manner, is to speak to their character as a person

At the risk of backlash from injecting myself into a semantical discussion...

It is completely possible to be timid, scared or even cowardly situationally without it defining the entirety of a person's character. You should see me when a bat gets in the house.

Every one of us knows of a qb that has, at some point, become gun-shy. Hell I bet every one of us has commented on how Drew Willy's experiences changed him as a qb but I doubt any of us would consider that those effects translated to the rest of his life/character.

It really is unfortunate that this happened to Matt because after the stellar performance he put up not long prior to his injury he may have been well on his way to exorcising any demons he may have been harbouring.

Edited by Deiter Fan

22 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

The fact is, the number of checkdowns went down significantly with Streveler at QB which leads me to two possible conclusions. Either they were never being called at the frequency that Nichols was resorting to them, or Lapolice had limited confidence that Nichols could push the ball even to an intermediate level once his confidence was shot. Either option isn’t flattering

Third option: streveler is such a weapon with his running that him taking off becomes the check down.

A trade for MBT is almost a necessity at this point.  Not a huge fan of his but the only guy available who can play a bit, and we're really relying on Harris and D anyway.  We can coo over McGuire but if Streveler goes down we don't have a QB on the roster that's thrown a meaningful professional pass. 

4th round pick that could work it's way up as high as a 1st rounder if MBT throws the Grey Cup winning TD pass for the Bombers.