Nichols out for the year

Jpan85

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I'd just like to thank Matt for his contributions this year and in the past as a Bomber. I hope his surgery is a full success and he is back playing better than ever next season. He's definitely the best QB we've had for quite some time. Now we need to go out and finish the job and bring him a Grey Cup Ring. Go Bombers!

Well said. Whether this is the end of the line with the Bombers or not I wish him a full recovery. Throwing shoulder surgery for a QB his age is a tough one to come back from. I hope he’s able to play again somewhere and keep earning as a pro

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The "play McGuire goddamit!" campaign is set to kick off tomorrow night at IGF, arrive early to make sure you get a good seat on the bandwagon.

Forgive I should have indicated in my post a viable back up with some level of CFL experience. Hoping that McGuire is the next man up....when a number 2 QB is one play away from starting is not a plan.

49 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I just don't think a Matt Nichols led team can win in the playoffs against a team like Calgary.

I do believe that a Chris Streveler led team can. Nichols did a lot of good things for us and helped take us out of the dumpster, but I don't think he's the QB to take us over the hump.

Out of the dump but never over the hump you say?

5 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

As dickish as this is: at least MOS doesn't have a tough decision ahead of him anymore 

Unless  we have a big lead at the half and MOS has a tough decision to make. Do I take the foot of the gas and not look like a **** or do we pile on the points and look like a ****.

P.S. MOS....it don't matter

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"Well, this is Streveler's team now." 

Not really, not with Lapo and O'Shea calling the shots. I'd really like to see them turn him loose but I don't think it'll ever happen.

I know there's plenty you don't like about him but he has a lot of veterans he can lean on for leadership and experience like Andrew Harris, Adam Bighill, Stanley Bryant, etc. I'm not worried about Chris Streveler. I'm far more concerned with Lapo and O'Shea, and Hall's schemes on defense.

9 minutes ago, J5V said:

Not really, not with Lapo and O'Shea calling the shots. I'd really like to see them turn him loose but I don't think it'll ever happen.

I know there's plenty you don't like about him but he has a lot of veterans he can lean on for leadership and experience like Andrew Harris, Adam Bighill, Stanley Bryant, etc. I'm not worried about Chris Streveler. I'm far more concerned with Lapo and O'Shea, and Hall's schemes on defense.

Actually, I do like him. I just thought a lot of fans were unfairly dumping on Nichols & blaming him for everything that was wrong with the Bombers. I was also concerned that the same fans that were angry at Nichols would also turn on Streveler if he struggled as I've seen it before. The most popular player on a team is the back up qb. 

Until Strev wins like Matty has, I will remain on the fence. 

Im not blinded by how fast he runs or how many guys he runs over. Or how he looks in his inform. 

Can he protect the ball? Complete passes throughout the tree?  Can he win? 

The only metric that really matters is wins. 

Right now hes just the shinny new sports car thats fast, whats under the hood remains to be seen...

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Actually, I do like him. I just thought a lot of fans were unfairly dumping on Nichols & blaming him for everything that was wrong with the Bombers. I was also concerned that the same fans that were angry at Nichols would also turn on Streveler if he struggled as I've seen it before. The most popular player on a team is the back up qb. 

Fans know he's young and very inexperienced. I think if he continues to shows the type improvement he has thus far through the rest of the season, even if we don't make it to the dance, he'll be cut a good amount of slack.

I think fans get pumped up by his hard-headed, breakaway style and I think they see promise in him. This will buy him a fair amount of goodwill and time to grow into the role. If he shows well through the rest of the season (regardless how the team manages in the playoffs) I think the job will be his to lose. Having said that...if Nichols comes back next year there will be quite the battle in camp and if he can show his shoulder is up to snuff and it's close I think management will go with him.

I think the thing that bugged fans the most was watching Nichols throw the ball away or turtle when he couldn't make a read or pull the trigger. With Chris at least he has the ability to improvise and scramble out for a gain. Fans will appreciate the effort, I think. 

Edited by Deiter Fan

Just now, 17to85 said:

So he should take a sack like a man? Nichols ain't the runner streveler is, the check down is his option rather than running.

Just a personal observation...... ...and maybe not take a sack, but stand in there long enough to throw it further than two yards

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Just a personal observation...... ...and maybe not take a sack, but stand in there long enough to throw it further than two yards

As I have tried to explain, blame the design of the offence not the qb. You see how many times streveler went downfield on passes last week? It's lapo likes the short game.