Nichols out for the year

Jpan85

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Doubt it, look around the league Nichols doesn't have to settle for backup money and he probably won't.

Assuming Fajardo signs an extension, only Toronto and Ottawa go into next season with no one clearly designated as “the guy” with Masoli and Arbuckle free agents and Evans showing well in Hamilton, there’s a real possibility that no team is in the market for a starter. Especially since Masoli and Arbuckle are both clearly more attractive options. 

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Doubt it, look around the league Nichols doesn't have to settle for backup money and he probably won't.

I dont..save for Ottawa and possibly T.O if they dont trade Franklin indeed them as the only teams who will be in a starter hunt..and they prob both go hard at Arbuckle.

There's no real place he can beat out a current starter in place.. his options are limited..and nobody is gonna pay 500k let alone prob 300k now coming off surgery with no guarantee he is still capable

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If the bombers trade for Franklin it will be a colossal mistake. That guy doesnt have what it takes to be successful in the CFL. I dont understand the hype around him.

For his experience solely.. and he can run our offence as it is now really..prob quite well if he had to

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Or next. The troubling thing is that the impact Nichols took when he went down didn't seem to be all that heavy, leading me to wonder if he is just brittle.

ffs man, I invite you to lie down on your stomach, prop yourself up with just your right arm, elbow on the floor, and then get Shawn Lemon to bellyflop on your shoulders. 

After that you can make judgments on who's brittle and who's not.

Soon as I saw how Nichols went down and then how he left the field pointing at his shoulder, I figured he was Lulay'd or Khari'd. I suspect the dude isn't just losing a season over this.  I'm sad for him tonight, he was a warrior who turned around the Bombers' program after a lot of years in the wilderness. His win-loss record with us is absurdly good. I'll always be a fan of his. 

If I remember right, he's doing sports management courses at Gonzaga, so he's positioning himself for the next act.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I dont..save for Ottawa and possibly T.O if they dont trade Franklin indeed them as the only teams who will be in a starter hunt..and they prob both go hard at Arbuckle.

There's no real place he can beat out a current starter in place.. his options are limited..and nobody is gonna pay 500k let alone prob 300k now coming off surgery with no guarantee he is still capable

1 minute ago, Booch said:

If Campbell survives, Nichols would thrive with Ottawa.... IF they bring in a receiver or two...

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

ffs man, I invite you to lie down on your stomach, prop yourself up with just your right arm, elbow on the floor, and then have Shawn Lemon bellyflop on your shoulders.  Then you can make judgments on who's brittle and who's not.

Soon as I saw how he went down and then how he left the field pointing at his shoulder, I figured he was Lulay'd or Khari'd. I suspect the dude isn't just losing a season over this.  I'm sad for him tonight, he was a warrior who turned around the Bombers' program after a lot of years in the wilderness. His win-loss record with us is absurdly good. I'll always be a fan of his. 

If I remember right, he's doing sports management courses at Gonzaga, so he's positioning himself for the next act.

Well said!!

As unlikely as it would be ( and it would take some humble pie), having Nichols here as a back-up next year would be good for both sides!

5 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

My only comment would be hopefully the bombers continue to groom mcguire into a legitimate back up. I liked what we saw in the preseason with him so now they have to get him a lot more reps at practice...just in case

McGuire showed and seemed to have nice pocket presence and the ability and comfort to sit in pocket..and make throws..all of which he showed he has arm for.

Hopefully if there any games where we are up..we get him game time reps.

Hate to make it to grey cup again with another Dinwiddie scenario..mind u McGuire has a gun and can do things with his passing that dinwiddie would only dream of

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Who now becomes the viable backup? All well and good when there was some believe that Nichols would be back but now what?

The "play McGuire goddamit!" campaign is set to kick off tomorrow night at IGF, arrive early to make sure you get a good seat on the bandwagon.

I'd just like to thank Matt for his contributions this year and in the past as a Bomber. I hope his surgery is a full success and he is back playing better than ever next season. He's definitely the best QB we've had for quite some time. Now we need to go out and finish the job and bring him a Grey Cup Ring. Go Bombers!

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think we all kind of expected this, deep down. I still don't believe Streveler can get it done for us this year, it would make for a hell of a story, and you just never know in this league. Anything can happen...

Same. Really didnt think hed be back this year. I wonder if they will dig deeper now to get a vet back up. God forbid streveler goes down. 

I just don't think a Matt Nichols led team can win in the playoffs against a team like Calgary.

I do believe that a Chris Streveler led team can. Nichols did a lot of good things for us and helped take us out of the dumpster, but I don't think he's the QB to take us over the hump.