Nichols out for the year

Jpan85

I had a feeling this was going to happen. And I called this exact situation playing out before the season started. The only thing left is for Streveler to keep rolling and get us to the last game in November! 

Feel bad for Nichols though. I have a feeling we may have seen him play his last game as a Bomber.

Hope Streveler can stay healthy. Took a hit that likely should have been concussion protocol in Edmonton, took a blindside sack in Sask., and the 1290TSN crew said he looked like he was suffering after a hit in Montreal. Dude is tough no doubt, but a little self-preservation may not be a bad idea. We don't need him to turn into another Dunigan glass QB here with a linebacker mentality.

32 minutes ago, ediger said:

While I'm a lot more comfortable with Streveler at QB now than I was a few weeks ago, I would still feel a lot better with both of them healthy. Also, you have to feel bad for Nichols. It's going to be tough for him to regain his starting role next year.

Or next. The troubling thing is that the impact Nichols took when he went down didn't seem to be all that heavy, leading me to wonder if he is just brittle.

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Or next. The troubling thing is that the impact Nichols took when he went down didn't seem to be all that heavy, leading me to wonder if he is just brittle.

Lemon is a big dude. And if I remember correctly he drove his elbow into the turf, driving everything back up into his shoulder. Wasn't so much the impact, but his arm position when he landed.

Said it before and will say it again: I feel awful for Matt Nichols both on a professional and personal level. This is an absolutely terrible break for the guy.

As it relates to the Bombers though, I think the bigger loss is Nichols as a backup.  I would have loved to have him backup Strev the rest of the way.  It sucks being one Strev injury away from going to our third stringer.

Even before the injury, I thought Streveler gave us the best chance to win each week. Ultimately I think its best for the Bombers to continue to build the offense around him, hope LaPolice doesn't make him a glorified running back, and see where it leads us. I think we are still very much a Grey Cup contender.

1 minute ago, Dr Zaius said:

I'd like to see an extension in place for Streveler before this season ends. Exclusive chance to negotiate with him and shows confidence in him going into playoffs.

Yes that's Nichols worst case scenario, but that's the business 

no contract stuff for anyone until the offseason.....wayyyyyyyy too much can happen.

Well possibly blessing in disguise..The team..and in that coaches can fully invest now in Streveler knowing he is the man till next year..and formulate everything to and for him.

He can win for us..well heck he has to now and he can also play without looking over his shoulder too now. 

Prob allow us to for next year to sign both of em..Strev being starter with a first yr starter type deal...and Nichols dependent on injury and prognosis signing a lesser type deal for an experienced backup dollar figure..with games started incentive if Strev craps all over himself 

That being said..I bet we swing a deal to pry Franklin outta T.O after this weekend..regardless how well..or bad Strev looks vs Hamilton

It’s also worth noting that there’s a reasonable chance that Nichols, a guy who didn’t have a cannon to begin with, won’t have the same arm strength after all this. Chad Pennington before and after a significant shoulder injury comes to mind. His career ended rather quickly once his shoulder gave out. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Well possibly blessing in disguise..The team..and in that coaches can fully invest now in Streveler knowing he is the man till next year..and formulate everything to and for him.

He can win for us..well heck he has to now and he can also play without looking over his shoulder too now. 

Prob allow us to for next year to sign both of em..Strev being starter with a first yr starter type deal...and Nichols dependent on injury and prognosis signing a lesser type deal for an experienced backup dollar figure..with games started incentive if Strev craps all over himself 

That being said..I bet we swing a deal to pry Franklin outta T.O after this weekend..regardless how well..or bad Strev looks vs Hamilton

Doubt it, look around the league Nichols doesn't have to settle for backup money and he probably won't.