Jonathan Hefney Arrested For Trafficking

Noeller

2 hours ago, J5V said:

It matters because he entertained us for many years playing a brutally rugged sport that ravaged his body, especially his right shoulder, and caused him to suffer long after his career was over and the medical benefits stopped. Unfortunately, the medical benefit money only flowed during the brief period he was eligible to collect it. It was not enough. 

I'm not making excuses for him but I'm willing to bet Mr. Hefney was using cocaine as a pain killer to sooth the many aches and pains that arose as a result of playing professional football and enduring the painful surgeries that he suffered. He may have been selling it as a means to supplement the cost as well as the expense of physiotherapy and other medical bills for which he was not being compensated.

He wasn't just some "dude". He was a great football player with a strong work ethic, strong character, and was once a very talented CFL AllStar and a one-time Winnipeg Blue Bomber.

Yes he got caught and will do his time. No one argues with this. What is outrageous though is that he was sentenced to nine years in the American prison system for selling a few grams of cocaine. That's insane! In the U.S.  the same crime is a slap on the wrist for a white person.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime. Cocaine is one of the most popular recreational drugs out there and yes, some people can develop an addiction to it, just like they can with alcohol, nicotene, caffeine and a host of other perfectly legal and far more dangerous drugs in the U.S.A. Can you say hypocrisy?

No matter what lead Mr. Hefney to make the decision to sell a few grams of cocaine, locking him up for 9 years will not do him, or anyone else not profiting from the American penal system, any good. Taking his few grams of cocaine away will not make even the smallest of dents in the cocaine supply as there are literally TONS of the stuff available for consumption across the USA and there is evidence that most of it was likely brought into that country by the American Government itself. 

I was a big Hefney fan when he played for us. That has nothing to do with choosing to sell drugs or using them for that matter and yes.. you and many others are making excuses for him.

Popularity, who brought it in, who profits from it and how much over the limit he sold aren't the issues. Legality is the issue. Hefney knew it was illegal and should have known that he could get 9 years or more for selling cocaine. He did it anyway. That's on him.

45 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

... Legality is the issue. Hefney knew it was illegal and should have known that he could get 9 years or more for selling cocaine. He did it anyway. That's on him.

He screwed up, no one is saying he didn't, but 9 years is crazy.

35 minutes ago, Brandon said:

According to J5V if you're a good guy and played sports then it would be understandable to rob a bank of only 5000 dollars because it's not like you robbed them of something crazy high like a million.

That's right, stealing over $5,000 is treated differently by legislation than stealing less than $5,000. My point was that the punishment should match the crime. 9 years is crazy.

21 minutes ago, johnzo said:

cocaine is a painkiller? 

that's an off-label use...

"The American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. considers cocaine to be a valuable anesthetic and vasoconstricting agent when used as part of the treatment of a patient by a physician. No other single drug combines the anesthetic and vasoconstricting properties of cocaine."

"Cocaine is a particularly effective local anesthetic that works by blocking nerve impulses. Specifically, by blocking norepinephrine uptake, cocaine causes vasoconstriction and anesthesia."

AS an example of the unevenness of the American justice system, the Steckler family marketed their opiods as non-addictive and even pressured their reps to recommend them to kids have made billions and none have been even charged with an offence. There is ample evidence to indicate that they continued to sell and promote their drugs even after they had absolute proof that they were highly addictive. 

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

That's right, stealing over $5,000 is treated differently by legislation than stealing less than $5,000. My point was that the punishment should match the crime. 9 years is crazy.

"The American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. considers cocaine to be a valuable anesthetic and vasoconstricting agent when used as part of the treatment of a patient by a physician. No other single drug combines the anesthetic and vasoconstricting properties of cocaine."

"Cocaine is a particularly effective local anesthetic that works by blocking nerve impulses. Specifically, by blocking norepinephrine uptake, cocaine causes vasoconstriction and anesthesia."

And is used as a topical analgesic for all eye surgeries.

9 hours ago, Tracker said:

AS an example of the unevenness of the American justice system, the Steckler family marketed their opiods as non-addictive and even pressured their reps to recommend them to kids have made billions and none have been even charged with an offence. There is ample evidence to indicate that they continued to sell and promote their drugs even after they had absolute proof that they were highly addictive. 

USA is a ****** up country. 

13 hours ago, J5V said:

Correct me if im wrong, but I believe this wasn't his first arrest relating to drugs which may have something to do with the longer sentence....

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I could be wrong, the article I read on his arrest mentioned 2017 charges but maybe its for the same crime.

Same charges, arrested in 2017 but sentenced in 2019.

He did get arrested once for pot possession (which is when the Bombers cut him) but those charges must have been dropped because this was his 1st conviction.

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Same charges, arrested in 2017 but sentenced in 2019.

He did get arrested once for pot possession (which is when the Bombers cut him) but those charges must have been dropped because this was his 1st conviction.

Late 2017 was when Hefney started his "GoFundMe" campaign, I sure hope he didn't take money he received from that and invest it in drugs, but I'm guessing he probably did.

18 hours ago, Tracker said:

exactly. It's "Sackler"

similarly to the Stanford university white, rich, Stanford guy  Turner, Brock, who raped an unconscious woman, and got 6 months, served three.

lol. Can you imagine a black guy getting anything less than twenty five years for raping an unconscious woman?

here's another one:

WACO, Texas — A former Baylor University fraternity president accused of rape will serve no jail time after he accepted a deal to plead no contest to a charge of unlawful restraint, a Texas judge has ruled.

Jacob Anderson, now 24, will receive three years probation, be levied a $400 fine and have to attend counseling. He will not be required to register as a sex offender, according to the terms Judge Ralph Strother of McLennan County's19th District Court approved Monday.

back to Hefney, as tracker posted the large differences in sentencing for the same, or similar drug offences between blacks (long) and whites (short) has been well documented.

Edited by Mark F

Bob an Doug talked about this hefney situation in the pre-game show.  Naturally Bob said nice things about how much fun he was to interview when he played,  to the point bob said they would look for him every other day for quotes.  Then Doug added how the man was playing above his "size", or something along those lines....... the funny part to me was the way they were talking about him made me think  he was probably high at the time lol. 

• 3 weeks later...