Jonathan Hefney Arrested For Trafficking

Noeller

2 hours ago, Albertabomberguy said:

The American justice system really hammers on criminals more than the Canadian system.  Depending on how much he had on him, he would have maybe received a 2-3 year sentence in Canada....or possibly even far less than that.  We have guys who commit some crazy murders(manslaughter) in Canada who get 1/3 of the time that Heffney got!

In the article the police say he had 50 grams. The sentencing for that in South Carolina is 7-25 years without probation and $50,000 compared to what you said for here.

3 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

The injury occurred when Hef was with the Als. Are you suggesting the Bombers should be paying the medical costs for players on other teams or what.

So, why the hell can't you just say that as an explanation the first time without making yourself look smarter than everybody else? I thought he injured himself as a Bomber & obviously I was wrong. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, why the hell can't you just say that as an explanation the first time without making yourself look smarter than everybody else? I thought he injured himself as a Bomber & obviously I was wrong. 

Maybe I thought you were smarter than that and would have remembered that Hef played for the Stamps and the Als after he was released by the Bombers.

Edited by Jacquie

11 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I'm with you on this. He played 7 years of professional ball. Even if he averaged $100k a year (he likely made more then that) he should have been set for life. I understand with all the procedures and medical bills it's a lot of money but he isnt the first person this has ever happened too. It's sad to see though. 

100K a year DEFINITELY doesn't leave you "set for life" after only 7 years

700k before taxes and expenses that go beyond the average citizen? Set for life? LMAO

Also, why on earth are we assuming he averaged over 100k a year for his career?

I'd say it'd be highly optimistic (almost bordering on foolish) to think that after all his taxes and job related expenses, Hefney took home more than $175,000 USD over the course of his career. Add in kids, a mortgage, bills ... how in the world does someone figure he's set for life?

How many tickets would the Bombers sell if they had to double the prices?

They would not be able to purchase medical insurance that would cover them while they live in the States for less than $20,000 (USD) a year - and that would include very high co-pays, co-insurance, and out-of-pocket max's.  And that is even if they could get it all.  

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

The average wage in Canada is around $50 000.  According to what some of you are saying, the average Canadian should be set for life in about 15 years - large unexpected bills included.

Sorry, your math does not add up.

Whats the average income where most of the players come from since most of them dont live in canada?  Rockhill SC in 2018 had an average house value of 140,000$ and an average income of 24k. So for where he comes from, the 700k number is 26+ years worth of average income. 

You dont have to be set for life, but you can be set for the next year. You also have to remember he had 4 NFL contracts and 2 PR stints. 

He probably made pretty low money his first 2 years here. He may have made 500,000$ in his career, or he may have gotten some decent NFL bonus money when he went back down south and could be over 700k. The point is, if you cant budget and spend responsibly, including health insurance when your body is your meal ticket it doesnt matter how much you earn. Cant write people excuses for failing to budget. 

But yes, the health care for NI players is broken and needs to be fixed. Didnt the bombers kick in to a go fund me for him? In a hole like that he could have also gotten an expedited citizen ship up here and gotten it for free if he desired. 

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Hefney played at a time when almost no DBs made a 100k a year. I doubt he even made 100k a year at any point.

Sanchez, bolden and plenty of guys well before hefney made that and more. DBs are more replaceable now then ever. If any thing it was better in his era. 

16 hours ago, Albertabomberguy said:

The American justice system really hammers on criminals more than the Canadian system.  Depending on how much he had on him, he would have maybe received a 2-3 year sentence in Canada....or possibly even far less than that.  We have guys who commit some crazy murders(manslaughter) in Canada who get 1/3 of the time that Heffney got!

I have a cousin who got caught with 5oz of cocaine and 20k cash. He got 2 years house arrest.

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Whats the average income where most of the players come from since most of them dont live in canada?  Rockhill SC in 2018 had an average house value of 140,000$ and an average income of 24k. So for where he comes from, the 700k number is 26+ years worth of average income. 

You dont have to be set for life, but you can be set for the next year. You also have to remember he had 4 NFL contracts and 2 PR stints. 

He probably made pretty low money his first 2 years here. He may have made 500,000$ in his career, or he may have gotten some decent NFL bonus money when he went back down south and could be over 700k. The point is, if you cant budget and spend responsibly, including health insurance when your body is your meal ticket it doesnt matter how much you earn. Cant write people excuses for failing to budget. 

But yes, the health care for NI players is broken and needs to be fixed. Didnt the bombers kick in to a go fund me for him? In a hole like that he could have also gotten an expedited citizen ship up here and gotten it for free if he desired. 

He wasn't paying Rockhill SC tax rates on his 100k/year income... For all the years he played in the CFL he was paying Canadian tax rates meaning that his take home was significantly less than someone making 100k/year in Rockhill (assuming, almost certainly correctly, that Rockhill has a MUCH MUCH lower tax rate than anywhere in Canada)