3 stars plus HH Sacre bleu

wbbfan

4 minutes ago, do or die said:

Three times, we have lost a game, where the opposition starts on a long field, and drives right down for the winning score, with 10 seconds or less to go.   If anybody wishes to chastise me for being angry and critical of this.....have at it.

Just an hour ago, two people saw my Bomber shopping bag, coming out of MEC.....and wanted to talk about the weekend choke job.

can I be angry at the lack of odds and sods?

11 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Given that we are unanimous in our reactions to and condemnation of the debacle that was last Saturday, is it safe to assume that both Walters and Miller as well as the majority of fans feel the same way and are at the end of their patience with this coaching regime?

Walters and Miller? No.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Given that we are unanimous in our reactions to and condemnation of the debacle that was last Saturday, is it safe to assume that both Walters and Miller as well as the majority of fans feel the same way and are at the end of their patience with this coaching regime?

I dont think the brain trust will be on the same page. If we have a disappointing end to the season, I think that will lead to changes. 

11 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Great question. Not sure, but I'd guess no. I'd guess that they see this team as a true contender, and that the Grey Cup is wide open. That is true, but, I'd still be worried the way this team keeps coughing up leads. I'd also say that their opinions could and likely should change if we do nothing in the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, itchy said:

Anyone go to the fan appreciation on Sunday? Couldn't have been too many happy players. Talked to WM one year after a loss at that event and he certainly didn't seem to be enjoying himself!

there are few people who want this team to win as badly as Wade Miller does....you can't fault that guy for trying.

Just now, itchy said:

Anyone go to the fan appreciation on Sunday? Couldn't have been too many happy players. Talked to WM one year after a loss at that event and he certainly didn't seem to be enjoying himself!

I did. Was a good event despite the collapse. Some players really bummed out especially at the start. Events like that dont just serve to give favor to the fans, its a good boost for the team too. And they needed it. Bailey and fenners table was very lively. They had some great moments with a couple kids and a disabled fan.  Every time some one whipped out the phone half of willys table would pose for pics with fans. Wolitarsky was very talkative and positive. 

You could tell how hard the loss was for the STs aces. Those guys sell out and bust ass to make a difference, had a rough game and we had a bad loss. But over all it was very enjoyable and up lifting for fans and the team. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Disagree. The proof is that we lost the damned game in the same way we lost in the LDC and against the Argos. O'Shea should have been smart enough to see that the defensive backs had suddenly developed terminal stupidity and the offensive game plan was moribund. He should have called a time out or at least mandated a change in game plan. 

Losing isn't proof that the call was wrong. It's proof that the defence didn't do their job. Calling a time out when you want to drain the clock is the opposite of what MOS should do. The Argo game and the Als game were the same. Big leads lost. The LDC was just a walk off FG after a drive, not a complete collapse.

This wasn't a normal loss. It was the first time in Bomber history that we lost a game when we were up by 24 points. Worst collapse ever. That's what pisses me off. It shouldn't have happened.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Disagree. The proof is that we lost the damned game in the same way we lost in the LDC and against the Argos. O'Shea should have been smart enough to see that the defensive backs had suddenly developed terminal stupidity and the offensive game plan was moribund. He should have called a time out or at least mandated a change in game plan. 

Up-voted for "terminal stupidity" and "moribund"  ;)

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Just can’t understand how Hall thinks his blitzes will work or Lapo thinks running up the gut works... when they’re up top and can literally see the players missing assignments or the OL/DL starting to lose the battle

how do you not change it up?

Its a sacrifice play mostly with the blitz. Less so with big hill then with our previous MLBers, but they arent designed to get him running free at the qb. They force the interior of the OL to block him with the goal of putting an end either one on one with a back, or block every rusher man to man. Though teams are running more heavy sets again these days. 

Thats why you frequently see in that package the DL spread soo drastically. With 2 dl over one guard and tackle, 1 dl on the nose shading the same side and 1 way over the opposite edge.  It, in theory, forces the OL to either miss BIghill up the middle, or give up and angle on the edge. 

But it isnt good for containment, especially if 1 OL wins his battle. It would also be more effective if we showed it and dropped bighill more often. And sent bighill on a delay rush. 

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

Just can’t understand how Hall thinks his blitzes will work or Lapo thinks running up the gut works... when they’re up top and can literally see the players missing assignments or the OL/DL starting to lose the battle

how do you not change it up?

Hall has to blitz Hecht because he knows he can’t play safety worth a hoot.

9 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The offence puts up 428 yards, 31 points, and wins TOP by 5 minutes. The defence gives up 528 yards, a 60 yard pass and run in the last minute of the game and a TD with seconds left on the clock. Fans blame the offence for not getting 1 more first down to seal the win.

I'm not a MOS fan, but he was right. Run the ball. Keep the clock running. Kick deep. Rely on your defence to stop Montreal from scoring a TD and a convert to win the game with just over a minute left from 90ish yards away.

But was he right? I'm not as sure as you are.

Should he coach the end part of the game by looking at the statistics for the whole game (basically the first half) like you've done here? Isn't that the mistake that he was supposed to have learned about?

It seems to me that if it's late in the game and the D is leaking like a sieve, and it was, having just given up two easy touchdowns, that we're going to need to score some more points.

I realise this is 20-20 hindsight but wouldn't it have been better for O'Shea to say, Paul, their offense is on fire. Our lead has dwindled to six points. No way can we give them the ball back or we're going to lose this thing. We've made this mistake before, no way are we going to let it happen again. We need to keep the ball, burn the clock, and it'd be best if we could score some points, okay? Paul, I need your best play calls here.

Then, and only then, if we try our best on offense to move the ball and they stop us, do we punt the ball back to them and hope we can hold on.

It seems to me that the worst thing to do is to lamely run into Montreal's stacked box and give them the ball back, which is what they're desperately hoping you'll do since their offense is on fire and has just scored 2 effortless touchdowns.

Sorry, but this doesn't sound like good judgment by O'Shea to me.

12 hours ago, J5V said:

But was he right? I'm not as sure as you are.

Should he coach the end part of the game by looking at the statistics for the whole game (basically the first half) like you've done here? Isn't that the mistake that he was supposed to have learned about?

It seems to me that if it's late in the game and the D is leaking like a sieve, and it was, having just given up two easy touchdowns, that we're going to need to score some more points.

I realise this is 20-20 hindsight but wouldn't it have been better for O'Shea to say, Paul, their offense is on fire. Our lead has dwindled to six points. No way can we give them the ball back or we're going to lose this thing. We've made this mistake before, no way are we going to let it happen again. We need to keep the ball, burn the clock, and it'd be best if we could score some points, okay? Paul, I need your best play calls here.

Then, and only then, if we try our best on offense to move the ball and they stop us, do we punt the ball back to them and hope we can hold on.

It seems to me that the worst thing to do is to lamely run into Montreal's stacked box and give them the ball back, which is what they're desperately hoping you'll do since their offense is on fire and has just scored 2 effortless touchdowns.

Sorry, but this doesn't sound like good judgment by O'Shea to me.

Agree to disagree.

We did pass and got a PI on it in the last set of downs.

I didn't like the run up the gut but, a pick or a sack gives them the ball closer to our end zone. An incomplete pass stops the clock without them using a time out.

I'm not looking at the stats for the whole game or for the first half. I'm saying that expecting your defence to stop the other team from getting a TD and a convert, with a minute on the clock from 90+ yards away is the right call.

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

but, a pick or a sack gives them the ball closer to our end zone. An incomplete pass stops the clock without them using a time out.

Yeah we might have lost if either of those things had happened!

VAJ was close to being picked off a bunch, but they still pushed the ball and won the game as a result. Sometimes you gotta take the risks. If you are getting bogged down offensively as the Bombers were in the 2nd half and the D is cracking as they were in the 2nd half sometimes you gotta just go out and try and make something happen. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Agree to disagree.

We did pass and got a PI on it in the last set of downs.

I didn't like the run up the gut but, a pick or a sack gives them the ball closer to our end zone. An incomplete pass stops the clock without them using a time out.

I'm not looking at the stats for the whole game or for the first half. I'm saying that expecting your defence to stop the other team from getting a TD and a convert, with a minute on the clock from 90+ yards away is the right call.

Not if you had been watching the way the Bomber defence started playing near the end of the third quarter.

18 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Hall has to blitz Hecht because he knows he can’t play safety worth a hoot.

He cant cover deep. He isnt as athletic as loffler, so he cant cover nearly as much field. But he makes better decisions. But people were flipping their lids early this year at that notion. He started out not being challenged deep, and when you play under him he is good. When you stretch him out hes a weakness. Jones would be better as a true saftey, but Jones has had to be the extra DB this year. Cant ask hecht to cover man to man.

If we could start Jones at S, use hecht situationally to his strengths and keep Imp DBs on the roster itd be much better. We really miss brandon alexander right now. Also fenner has been a liability deep.  Itd be great if we brought Mo back for a look too. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

He cant cover deep. He isn't as athletic as loffler, so he cant cover nearly as much field. But he makes better decisions. But people were flipping their lids early this year at that notion. He started out not being challenged deep, and when you play under him he is good. When you stretch him out hes a weakness. Jones would be better as a true saftey, but Jones has had to be the extra DB this year. Cant ask hecht to cover man to man.

If we could start Jones at S, use hecht situationally to his strengths and keep Imp DBs on the roster itd be much better. We really miss brandon alexander right now. Also fenner has been a liability deep.  Itd be great if we brought Mo back for a look too. 

Disagree. Hecht has been better on shallow plays than deep ones but he's still no great shakes at either. He still hasn't learnt the concept of using his arms to tackle.

Just now, Tracker said:

Disagree. Hecht has been better on shallow plays than deep ones but he's still no great shakes at either. He still hasn't learnt the concept of using his arms to tackle.

he isnt great, but he is a viable piece of a great defense. Honestly tackling is a problem at all 3 levels of our defense.  Guys who are great tacklers on teams, and previously in their career hit or try to do lazy arm tackles. And tackling, is 100% coaching. The amount of times weve tried to pull down qbs and rbs with lazy arm tackles, taken poor angles on dump offs, and sold out for hits giving up big plays is beyond irritating. Any one in pro football is capable of very good tackling. 

You end up with bad tackling, when you accept it. I feel the same about effort from players getting back in on the play from the back side. We see a few guys do it, namely all 3 dts. But many others dont. When you see your 3 biggest and slowest guys on the field getting in on the back end of plays based sheerly off of hustle and frequently see pass rushers give up after losing the angle on the play, its the same issue as tackling. It happens because guys get away with it. With the amount of rotation we do in the front 7 no one should be soo tired they are slower then the DTs. If you arent getting that extended push from the front 7, rotating is wasted.