3 stars plus HH Sacre bleu

wbbfan

11 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

I dunno, Hecht holding out his hands and shrugging could actually be a very diplomatic way of pointing fingers at no one in particular, and everyone at the same time.  Even a shoot-from-the-hip guy like Hecht isn’t going to stick his chin out and go, “you know the f$cken stupid blitzes coach Hall calls just hang us out to dry over and over”.

Yeah you are probably 100% on that tbh...and I suppose it isn't realistic to expect any player to call out anyone for the failings we continue to experience...but damn it I'd sure like MOS to provide some perspective or take some responsibility.

11 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

In some ways Deiter Fan, I agree that yes the progress isn’t as good as we fans would like it to be.  The shortcomings of the coordinators’ philosophies are still there, while Kyle Walters has built a roster that went from just being happy to be there, to the kind team that makes us argue about why they aren’t 11-2 or 12-1.

This is really the part that sticks in so many craws...definitely mine. We finally have the talent yet continue to experience the same troubling issues.

Edited by Deiter Fan

1 hour ago, Deiter Fan said:

As a fan I want to know just how much influence he's having on play calling. If LaPo and Hall are just following a cautious style being determined by him then maybe it's him that needs to get his s*it together...or go. If it's all being determined by the co-ordinators then they need to get it together...or go.

Well the good news is that we have a lot of past examples of both Lapo and Hall to draw on and these criticisms are ones that have followed them around for a long long long time. 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well the good news is that we have a lot of past examples of both Lapo and Hall to draw on and these criticisms are ones that have followed them around for a long long long time. 

Fair enough...but can O'Shea not just say, "listen...no more of this easing off with a lead. We keep playing the game that got us the lead even if it means embarrassing teams"? Or am I being naive?

8 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

Fair enough...but can O'Shea not just say, "listen...no more of this easing off with a lead. We keep playing the game that got us the lead even if it means embarrassing teams"? Or am I being naive?

He told LaPo to run the ball so obviously he doesn't want to run up the score. Thing is, as someone pointed out, just running it up the gut for 2 yards on first down every series may be not what O'Shea envisioned.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He told LaPo to run the ball so obviously he doesn't want to run up the score. Thing is, as someone pointed out, just running it up the gut for 2 yards on first down every series may be not what O'Shea envisioned.

Right. So while he may have provided a general direction he didn't give him a road map.

I'm just at a loss to explain/understand why you wouldn't keep playing the game that got you the lead. I guess that's why I'm not a professional coach.

1 hour ago, Deiter Fan said:

Right. So while he may have provided a general direction he didn't give him a road map.

I'm just at a loss to explain/understand why you wouldn't keep playing the game that got you the lead. I guess that's why I'm not a professional coach.

No, your question is a valid one. And it's one a lot of us ask almost every game.

the smart decision is to yes...run the ball to kill out the clock...but maybe run something with some variation...or use someone else to cross up the defense, run a play the defense hasn't seen yet, it's pretty easy concept but we seem to never get it right.

Christ you have a horse in Streveler they should have ran back to back QB sweeps to the wide side...slide protection and all receivers out front blocking or pulling defenders away...long developing runs that would take off time on the clock if anything. Streveler in space...coming around the end in full gallop...blockers out front...do you not think he wouldn't have gotten at least 1 first down doing that??..obviously Lapo in his wisdom didn't because he ran two pansy plays which netted lost yards I believe and took what...12 seconds off the clock

9 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

you can say it all you like, but it's still going against the natural tendencies of those guys. And you know I don't think O'Shea is totally opposed to the philosophy, and that's OK, but sometimes they go way way too far. Actually this game I am less angry at Ritchie Hall than I am at Lapo. Were some big busts in the coverage that gave up too many big chunks in short order, that you can say the players missed their assignments. 

Lapo is the guy I am angry at. You dominate the entire first half and take your foot so far off the gas in the 2nd half that it forces the defense into the situation where they need to make stops. That's just unacceptable. You put together one of those long drives in the 4th quarter you don't have to worry about the Als coming back. 

For all the brilliance shown in play diversity in the first half, we switched to anti-first down mode, especially in the 4th quarter. 

We, as fans, cannot understand how the Coaching staff cannot see...with their own eyes, that the plays called at the end of the game, don’t work.

Dammit. Get mad. Make this work. Cause if you do, we will be very hard to beat.

We left ourselves with few opportunities in the second half...seemed to have shut down what was working....Can't do that....Further...and I'm not laying any blame on Meds.... but IF that field goal attempt in the second half goes through the uprights instead of bouncing off of it....I'm pretty sure we win...Thems the breaks BUT we should never have had to come down to and depend on that play to win it in any event

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

Cmon O’Shea is falling on his sword... of course you run the ball more with a lead - and Harris was having success

Doesnt mean you hammer it up the middle every time

In the first half they ran two sweeps with great success ,  one to Demski and one to Whitehead  and on that 2nd and short Streveler ran for that beautiful 30 + yard score untouched.  

1 hour ago, Booch said:

the smart decision is to yes...run the ball to kill out the clock...but maybe run something with some variation...or use someone else to cross up the defense, run a play the defense hasn't seen yet, it's pretty easy concept but we seem to never get it right.

Christ you have a horse in Streveler they should have ran back to back QB sweeps to the wide side...slide protection and all receivers out front blocking or pulling defenders away...long developing runs that would take off time on the clock if anything. Streveler in space...coming around the end in full gallop...blockers out front...do you not think he wouldn't have gotten at least 1 first down doing that??..obviously Lapo in his wisdom didn't because he ran two pansy plays which netted lost yards I believe and took what...12 seconds off the clock

Hardrick also got turnstiled a couple of times in the 4th Q., I can accept he's not playing  at 100% health but his mobility seems to be very limited and he's been off his game for much of this season.  He should be sat down until his health recovers, they've got two Import O-linemen sitting on the PR, Rodgers and Williams,  it's time to see what they can do.  

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Hardrick also got turnstiled a couple of times in the 4th Q., I can accept he's not playing  at 100% health but his mobility seems to be very limited and he's been off his game for much of this season.  He should be sat down until his health recovers, they've got two Import O-linemen sitting on the PR, Rodgers and Williams,  it's time to see what they can do.  

Noticed this as well.....He really struggled in the LD game and was limping around at times during Banjo Bowl

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

For all the brilliance shown in play diversity in the first half, we switched to anti-first down mode, especially in the 4th quarter. 

We, as fans, cannot understand how the Coaching staff cannot see...with their own eyes, that the plays called at the end of the game, don’t work.

Dammit. Get mad. Make this work. Cause if you do, we will be very hard to beat.

O'Shea: Keep it on the ground. Run out the clock.

LaPo: Okay. I'll just run Harris up the gut thru the 1 or 2 technique for 2 yards.

O'Shea: Sounds good.  Do it.

In other words Mike, stick to something you know a little bit about, defense. Hall needs all the help he can get. Maybe this off season look for an OC who has a bit more imagination as a playcaller. Both need to go.

The offence puts up 428 yards, 31 points, and wins TOP by 5 minutes. The defence gives up 528 yards, a 60 yard pass and run in the last minute of the game and a TD with seconds left on the clock. Fans blame the offence for not getting 1 more first down to seal the win.

I'm not a MOS fan, but he was right. Run the ball. Keep the clock running. Kick deep. Rely on your defence to stop Montreal from scoring a TD and a convert to win the game with just over a minute left from 90ish yards away.

Edited by TBURGESS

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The offence puts up 428 yards, 31 points, and wins TOP by 5 minutes. The defence gives up 528 yards, a 60 yard pass and run in the last minute of the game and a TD with seconds left on the clock. Fans blame the offence for not getting 1 more first down to seal the win.

I'm not a MOS fan, but he was right. Run the ball. Keep the clock running. Kick deep. Rely on your defence to stop Montreal from scoring a TD and a convert to win the game with just over a minute left from 90ish yards away.

Or get more than a field goal in an entire half of football and make the last drive irrelevant.

Just now, Super Duper Negatron said:

Or get more than a field goal in an entire half of football and make the last drive irrelevant.

If Medlock kicks the 53 yarder, the last drive is irrelevant. If MOS decides to pin Montreal deep instead of going for the 53 yarder, the last drive is likely irrelevant. If the defence doesn't allow a 60 yard pass and run play in the last minute, the last drive is irrelevant.

I'm saying that in the situation we were in, MOS made the right call to run. I'd have run a sweep to burn a few more seconds and to get outside the box, but that's the only change I'd have made to the call.

15 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Don't worry - there were pages of complaining about Hall too ha

The  Als got the ball on their ten with one minute left. 

The defence had the last chance to win the game.

They could not stop the als.

if you are looking for one reason why the game was lost that is the one.

Other than axe to grind, I don’t know why people look for one cause of a loss.

this was a choke by the coaches and all three groups of players.

35 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Disagree. The proof is that we lost the damned game in the same way we lost in the LDC and against the Argos. O'Shea should have been smart enough to see that the defensive backs had suddenly developed terminal stupidity and the offensive game plan was moribund. He should have called a time out or at least mandated a change in game plan. 

Three times, we have lost a game, where the opposition starts on a long field, and drives right down for the winning score, with 10 seconds or less to go.   If anybody wishes to chastise me for being angry and critical of this.....have at it.

Just an hour ago, two people saw my Bomber shopping bag, coming out of MEC.....and wanted to talk about the weekend choke job.

Edited by do or die