Game Day Thread: Week 15- Bombers @ Als, Khari Redux Edition

Wanna-B-Fanboy

Take that heart-breaking crap filled loss, and THEN go to a dinner party where there are a bunch of Rider fans who insist on rubbing it in all night. A small corner of hell. One guy even said "Lancaster was a better QB than Ploen". I never saw Kenny Ploen play but I assume some of the old-timers here would have started throwing punches at that point. 

Watching the game again, it doesn't feel nearly as bad as I thought.

Streveler was really good. This is someone we can really build around. He made one mistake all day and it cost us big time.  LaPolice needs to let him throw more though. Once the aerial attack is going then you sprinkle in his running and he can't be stopped. LaPo called a QB run on 2nd and long when the Als desperately needed a stop and brought a blitz. Classic LaPo.

Defense was also mostly really good, until about halfway through the fourth. The secondary had way too many breakdowns. Blitzes couldn't get anywhere on the last few drives so combine that with the secondary falling apart you get the quick scores from Montreal.

I have concerns with the late game management, but ultimately we let them score a TD when they started at their own 16 with 1:03 left on the clock. Then we still had them on their own 30 with 30 seconds left. Secondary blew it on the chunk play again, which was really the only way to let them in it.

1 minute ago, Captain Blue said:

Streveler was really good. This is someone we can really build around. He made one mistake all day and it cost us big time.  LaPolice needs to let him throw more though. Once the aerial attack is going then you sprinkle in his running and he can't be stopped. LaPo called a QB run on 2nd and long when the Als desperately needed a stop and brought a blitz. Classic LaPo.

Defense was also mostly really good, until about halfway through the fourth. The secondary had way too many breakdowns. Blitzes couldn't get anywhere on the last few drives so combine that with the secondary falling apart you get the quick scores from Montreal.

I have concerns with the late game management, but ultimately we let them score a TD when they started at their own 16 with 1:03 left on the clock. Then we still had them on their own 30 with 30 seconds left. Secondary blew it on the chunk play again, which was really the only way to let them in it.

Streveler was good, but it came down to the Als stopping the running plays and the passing game was so poor that it wasn't a threat, so the offence died out. And then the "defensive backs" in general and Hecht in particular started into their Keystone Kops coverage routine. To make it short: the Bombers got out-coached again. Yes, it was Hall and LaPolice but this steaming pile lies at the feet of O'Shea.

23 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Streveler was good, but it came down to the Als stopping the running plays and the passing game was so poor that it wasn't a threat, so the offence died out. And then the "defensive backs" in general and Hecht in particular started into their Keystone Kops coverage routine. To make it short: the Bombers got out-coached again. Yes, it was Hall and LaPolice but this steaming pile lies at the feet of O'Shea.

In reality... Players just ****** up hence the long completitions. Your agenda is showing again. In more reality we got ****** by the refs not ejecting Adams for trying to legit injury Bighill. If you and a few other agenda pushing folks stopped the BS you push after every loss and actually watched the final 2 scores... DBs ****** up.. Refs ****** up by not ejecting Adams... Bombers ****** up sure.. But.. The fact Adams swung Bighills helmet he just ripped off at Bighills head with the ref watching and wasn't ejected... That is the real story. A QB tried to legit knock out a guy with a helmet. Whatever tho right... It would be a different story if he connected hard enough tho Wouldnt it be. Do the Als win if Adams is ejected like he should have been. 

Craig Roh last year got penalized for doing a fake sword celebration.  Adams tried to take Bighills head off with the helmet he just ripped off his head.. 15 yards? Fishy BS. 

Player safety my ass. Where's the fake eye in the sky on this one. 

Edited by Goalie

57 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

This is classic Hall though...  his schemes allow or call for his DBs to drop 25-30 yards back - this tendency picks up later in the game for sure

His blitz packages ALWAYS are out-adjusted by the opposing DC...  its just so bizarre the pressure we were getting and how it dried up in the 4th Q...

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Take that heart-breaking crap filled loss, and THEN go to a dinner party where there are a bunch of Rider fans who insist on rubbing it in all night.

Did they forget what happened last time we played them? And if we had the benefit of only playing 3 quarters against Montreal there would have been no troubles either.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Thing is, Montreal never really did end up stopping our offense that much. It wasn't like they shut down Streveler at all. We could throw and run mostly successfully, except at the end of the game when it was far too obvious.

11 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This is classic Hall though...  his schemes allow or call for his DBs to drop 25-30 yards back - this tendency picks up later in the game for sure

His blitz packages ALWAYS are out-adjusted by the opposing DC...  its just so bizarre the pressure we were getting and how it dried up in the 4th Q...

Hate on Hall all you want, but he didn't call the "let the guy run free 50 yards down field" play. It was a breakdown, a mistake, whatever you want to call it. Somebody in that secondary blew it.

53 minutes ago, Goalie said:

In reality... Players just ****** up hence the long completitions. Your agenda is showing again. In more reality we got ****** by the refs not ejecting Adams for trying to legit injury Bighill. If you and a few other agenda pushing folks stopped the BS you push after every loss and actually watched the final 2 scores... DBs ****** up.. Refs ****** up by not ejecting Adams... Bombers ****** up sure.. But.. The fact Adams swung Bighills helmet he just ripped off at Bighills head with the ref watching and wasn't ejected... That is the real story. A QB tried to legit knock out a guy with a helmet. Whatever tho right... It would be a different story if he connected hard enough tho Wouldnt it be. Do the Als win if Adams is ejected like he should have been. 

Craig Roh last year got penalized for doing a fake sword celebration.  Adams tried to take Bighills head off with the helmet he just ripped off his head.. 15 yards? Fishy BS. 

Player safety my ass. Where's the fake eye in the sky on this one. 

Sorry dude - trying to blame this on on the ref's failure to call what Adams did is just sour grapes IMHO. The Bombers offense and defense just plain gave up the ghost in the second half. I believe the office scored 3 points in the second half and we all know what to expect from a Richie Hall Defense - Nothing more to say - A Richie Hall defense will never ever win you a Grey Cup!

53 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

Thing is, Montreal never really did end up stopping our offense that much. It wasn't like they shut down Streveler at all. We could throw and run mostly successfully, except at the end of the game when it was far too obvious.

When it counted, the Als changed up their offensive and defensive games plans, and the Bombers..............

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Take that heart-breaking crap filled loss, and THEN go to a dinner party where there are a bunch of Rider fans who insist on rubbing it in all night. A small corner of hell. One guy even said "Lancaster was a better QB than Ploen". I never saw Kenny Ploen play but I assume some of the old-timers here would have started throwing punches at that point. 

How many Grey Cups did Lancaster win? 1. How many did Ploen win? 4. Nuff said on that.

Totally agree with DD. If we can’t beat a team with their #1 QB playing what are we saying...we want the refs to win it for us? Yes he likely should have been ejected but that is not the story of winning or losing....it is the play of the team starting with the coaching down to the execution. The players played well in the first half even though there were a few breakdowns.....the second half MTC adjusted we did too in the wrong way ...playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Same story for the 4 losses this year and even going back to last year. Until the mentality of the coaches change this will repeat itself time and again

It was weird ending to the game for me..    the wife was totally into the game, enjoying and understanding it all.  Enjoying the Bombers great start to the game....and then as the Bombers collapsed she was swearing at the Bombers, calling players names when they we're screwing up...... it brought a tear to my eye seeing her getting back to her old self.....  we are just going to continue to believe this is the year.  

18 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

It was weird ending to the game for me..    the wife was totally into the game, enjoying and understanding it all.  Enjoying the Bombers great start to the game....and then as the Bombers collapsed she was swearing at the Bombers, calling players names when they we're screwing up...... it brought a tear to my eye seeing her getting back to her old self.....  we are just going to continue to believe this is the year.  

Great to hear that she is feeling feisty enough for that. A very good sign.

19 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

It really is a magical experience when you can introduce someone to the heartbreak that is being a Bomber fan, eh? Nothing like some company for that misery.

Edited by Deiter Fan

43 minutes ago, do or die said:

Blaming this deal on the non-ejection for Adams.....is just getting too many people off the hook - players and coaches.  Just because he stayed in the game didn't mean that the D had to completely collapse again

The league DOES need to look at the angry vaj play but also Muamba's ankle twist on Streveler...  both are fines at least 

Edited by Floyd

28 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

It really is a magical experience when you can introduce someone to the heartbreak that is being a Bomber fan, eh? Nothing like some company for that misery.

Oh she has been a bomber fan for a long time,  she just has to relearn some things in her life now.  The game yesterday was a huge positive for us.  I did introduce my children to the Bombers, 30 and 25 years ago.