Game Day Thread: Week 15- Bombers @ Als, Khari Redux Edition

Wanna-B-Fanboy

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

To be more honest.. If you watch that last drive again... Missed tackles. Bust in coverage big play. Another blown assignment on the TD. 

That last drive was truly just Montreal being better. Our players **** the bed. Yeah our O and DC need to go but.. Guys beating guys like that.. That dont matter who the DC is. 

Hall's schemes exhaust our DBs by the 4th Q...   seen that before too

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But doesn't this show how badly Nichols has been judged by fans? He can only do so much as a qb when his OC calls plays that are predictable & conservative. Especially in the 2nd half when we have a lead.  We play not to lose instead of to win. LaPo goes into his shell & opportunities dry up. Making Nichols look bad with unimpressive stats. Matt is a better qb than he is allowed to show under LaPo. We saw it today with Streveler. Compare his stats from the first half to the second. The O just ground to a halt with ultra conservative play calling.

I think there’s more to it than this. The things Nichols struggles with (making plays under pressure, moving the pocket, hitting intermediate routes) are things that aren’t as fixable with a good game plan. When everything is going wrong for the offence, at bare minimum Streveler can make plays with his legs. And in games like today, where he was hitting his short and intermediate routes with ease, there really is nothing Nichols does better than him. The flaw in the gameplan today in my mind was the only deep shot they took was with Darvin throwing the ball. Especially while Evans was out injured, how do you not attack that?

And of course I’m more sympathetic and willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a 24-year old QB making his seventh career start who has look better than any QB of his age has looked for this city since the 80s than a 34-year old QB who makes the same mistakes every year. Especially if the end results are largely the same. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

I think there’s more to it than this. The things Nichols struggles with (making plays under pressure, moving the pocket, hitting intermediate routes) are things that aren’t as fixable with a good game plan. When everything is going wrong for the offence, at bare minimum Streveler can make plays with his legs. And in games like today, where he was hitting his short and intermediate routes with ease, there really is nothing Nichols does better than him. The flaw in the gameplan today in my mind was the only deep shot they took was with Darvin throwing the ball. Especially while Evans was out injured, how do you not attack that?

No, don't agree. Nichols is a better passer than Streveler. He recognizes defenses faster but our offense is based on putting a square peg into a round hole. Run on first down, pass on second. LaPo expects all his qbs to run his offense the same way. There's no designing an offense to suit the players he has. He just expects everyone to play in his system no matter what their strengths or weaknesses are.  We saw that today for sure.

This team has a "coast"/"play it safe" with a lead mentality. Both co-ordinators suffer from it. Makes me wonder if the problem isn't O'Shea. He's the leader of this team. If both co-ordinators suffer from the same affliction it's either a big coincidence (which is certainly a  possibility) or they are getting their attitudes from the top.

Am I out to lunch? Do we just happen to have 2 of the most gutless co-ordinators in the league?

Edited by Deiter Fan

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, don't agree. Nichols is a better passer than Streveler. He recognizes defenses faster but our offense is based on putting a square peg into a round hole. Run on first down, pass on second. LaPo expects all his qbs to run his offense the same way. There's no designing an offense to suit the players he has. He just expects everyone to play in his system no matter what their strengths or weaknesses are.  We saw that today for sure.

I think it’s arguable at best that Nichols is a better passer than Streveler but it’s not worth going pass by pass. The main point I’m trying to make is that very few anti-Nichols people didn’t also acknowledge that Lapo wasn’t also a huge problem. I think Lapo being terrible was a built in excuse for Nichols’ failures and it’s a dangerous precedent to assume once Lapo is gone, Nichols performs any better. 

2 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

This team has a "coast with a lead"/"play it safe" mentality when playing with a lead. Both co-ordinators suffer from it. Makes me wonder if the problem isn't O'Shea. He's the leader of this team. If both co-ordinators suffer from the same affliction it's either a big coincidence (which is certainly a  possibility) or they are getting their attitudes from the top.

Am I out to lunch? Do we just happen to have 2 of the most gutless co-ordinators in the league?

Lapo has been this way for years. Hall running the same D for years now also. 

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Anybody who can fond a positive in this Bomber loss is an eternal optimist. Total inexcusable collapse.

Nothing but a 'bomber shill' on twitter... 🙄

Wish I could listen to the post game - I like hearing Bob when he's pissed ha

You would have been disappointed. Nothing but softball questions and cliched answers. No insight into the collapse or what the plans might be to correct yet another embarrassing implosion. The players change and yet the results are the same, so maybe its not the players who are at fault.

Just now, Tracker said:

You would have been disappointed. Nothing but softball questions and cliched answers. No insight into the collapse or what the plans might be to correct yet another embarrassing implosion. The players change and yet the results are the same, so maybe its not the players who are at fault.

Today it was. Missed tackles and blown assignments.. Missed PAT and FG are all on players. 

Just now, Tracker said:

Best part of the post game was Doug Brown calling it like it was saying the Bombers got passive and it cost em.