Byfuglien contemplating NHL future

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

So, I don't know the ins-and-outs of the CBA and whatnot but why can't he just retire, if that's what he wants? Based on Wheeler's comments, it sounds like he's not interested in playing any longer. So, why the need for the mutual contract termination? If he just retires, won't that have the same effect? 

I think it has to do with the salary recapture penalty if a player chooses to retire while still under contract. By mutually agreeing to terminate his contract, the Jets would avoid that penalty and not have it count against their cap for the. I'm not sure what Byfuglien gets out of it, though. I don't know what effect his suspended status has on that.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I think it has to do with the salary recapture penalty if a player chooses to retire while still under contract. By mutually agreeing to terminate his contract, the Jets would avoid that penalty and not have it count against their cap for the. I'm not sure what Byfuglien gets out of it, though. I don't know what effect his suspended status has on that.

Yeah I assume there is something to the settlement aspect.  Is there a recapture penalty for a player like Buff with a lower term?  Wasnt that for those really long deals?

Also, if he retires, he's still Jets' "property", so maybe they have some obligations to him and he to them.  And both sides want to just walk away.  I do wonder if another team would take a chance on Buff for a playoff run and if he's be motivated enough to play his ass off for a shorter period like that.  This gives him that freedom should he want to.

I love watching Buff play, but I'll tell you what......if I had 50 million bucks in the bank, a young family at home, and lived where he's living, I wouldn't play hockey for one second longer than I really cared to. Unless I was SUPER passionate about hockey, I'd spend every waking second either with my family or fishing 12 months of the year. I've heard stories about Buff's fishing boat....my word....I wouldn't play one more second of hockey unless I absolutely had a huge desire to do so because I loved hockey that much. 

Retire a Jet...cite injuries, whatever....but call 'er a day, be the most beloved guy in the history of Jets 2.0 and then go fishing every Goddamned day...

47 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I love watching Buff play, but I'll tell you what......if I had 50 million bucks in the bank, a young family at home, and lived where he's living, I wouldn't play hockey for one second longer than I really cared to. Unless I was SUPER passionate about hockey, I'd spend every waking second either with my family or fishing 12 months of the year. I've heard stories about Buff's fishing boat....my word....I wouldn't play one more second of hockey unless I absolutely had a huge desire to do so because I loved hockey that much. 

Retire a Jet...cite injuries, whatever....but call 'er a day, be the most beloved guy in the history of Jets 2.0 and then go fishing every Goddamned day...

Tell us about this boat... lol 

33 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Tell us about this boat... lol 

he's a regular at LOTW HQ (just off Regent), and one day he was pulled up there with it and grabbing a few things before heading out on the water. I heard just ridiculous...I mean, Kevin VanDam has a pretty nice boat on the pro tour, but Buff has something outstanding, as you could imagine. I heard he actually has a few boats...couple for fishing, couple for recreation (pontoon style) from guys that fish with/against him on the Kenora-area tournament circuit..

Yes. This summer, my GF daughter and I spent a weekend in Kenora. She has family there and we were on their pontoon boat and while in the water a very large vessel was near by fishing away, not sure if he was on it but GFs cousin said that is Byfugliens boat. Hell of a boat to say the least. 

Hope he retires for real and doesn't sign elsewhere, loved him as a player, went to that outdoor forks practice years ago and he was a character for sure. 

Regardless of what happened last year, like Wheeler would even mention that in public, wish Buff well. Not sure why ppl think 2 alpha males getting in to a brawl is so far fetched tho, happens all the time.  I said thats what the rumor is, doesn't mean the next day they weren't cordial but its well known buff really isn't a guy who meshes well always. Hes a character for real, he's got his own way and its worked for him. Good luck Fishing Buff.

Edited by Goalie

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

But if he's filing a grievance due to injury where does the last 2 years of his contract fit in? Someone above my NHL/PA knowledge could answer this.

The rumor is they are coming to a termination of his contract or a buy out of sorts in simpler terms, the grievance is irrelevant and likely agent driven and rumor has it the reason they are going to "buy him out" instead is cuz he knows he wont win the grievance. It sounds like Buff is done with hockey, retiring, Think of the buy out as a going away present. 

Doesn't count on the cap. Buff is a FA but hes Buff and he hasnt skated in a long time and off ice fitness has never been a priority of his. Hes retired. If he wants to come back, he wont hes old for hockey and especially for a D man at his size and just mass really,  but hes a FA who can sign anywhere

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

The rumor is they are coming to a termination of his contract or a buy out of sorts in simpler terms, the grievance is irrelevant and likely agent driven and rumor has it the reason they are going to "buy him out" instead is cuz he knows he wont win the grievance. It sounds like Buff is done with hockey, retiring, Think of the buy out as a going away present. 

Doesn't count on the cap. Buff is a FA but hes Buff and he hasnt skated in a long time and off ice fitness has never been a priority of his. Hes retired. If he wants to come back, he wont hes old for hockey and especially for a D man at his size and just mass really,  but hes a FA who can sign anywhere

I'm convinced he's done with us but not yet convinced he's done with hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a bit weird.  If he wanted to retire, retire.  If he thought he might want to play again, tell the Jets and cooperate with rehab and eat the suspension.  Just seems strange that he's saying 'sure, trade me, I might want to play again' all the while, not skating and seemingly not going through a rehab process with the intent of returning.  

Oh well.  If any team has an inkling he might play in the playoffs and feel he's Buff so he can play even if not in shape, its not the worst idea.  If he doesnt come back ever, they suspend him and he costs nothing.  Their only risk is paying him to play next year and had he been playing this year, every team in the league would want him.  Have to assume Jets have heard some interest to even be trying.

51 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its a bit weird.  If he wanted to retire, retire.  If he thought he might want to play again, tell the Jets and cooperate with rehab and eat the suspension.  Just seems strange that he's saying 'sure, trade me, I might want to play again' all the while, not skating and seemingly not going through a rehab process with the intent of returning.  

Oh well.  If any team has an inkling he might play in the playoffs and feel he's Buff so he can play even if not in shape, its not the worst idea.  If he doesnt come back ever, they suspend him and he costs nothing.  Their only risk is paying him to play next year and had he been playing this year, every team in the league would want him.  Have to assume Jets have heard some interest to even be trying.

I think it’s more that the nhlpa grievance fell apart and now the jets have control again