Byfuglien contemplating NHL future

• 4 weeks later...

If I put on my conspiracy hat I’d say it sounds like the team and Buff has different ideas on how to proceed with his injury.  

Definitely more to the story.  Him choosing to leave before camp and get suspended rather then go on IR and get paid. Having surgery now rather then two months ago.  Weird. 

Just now, BomberBall said:

Where did you hear about the 'building something new'?

I'm a very good stalker. 

EDIT: It's just a rumour that he bought land south of the perimeter, along St Mary's. As soon as I see my journalist source, they'll be able to confirm this.

That being said, it would surprise me greatly if Buff were to sell his house right now even if he was leaning towards retiring. It's too soon. He would likely wait until next year to do it. I think this is just a coincidence. 

Edited by JCon

46 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm a very good stalker. 

EDIT: It's just a rumour that he bought land south of the perimeter, along St Mary's. As soon as I see my journalist source, they'll be able to confirm this.

That being said, it would surprise me greatly if Buff were to sell his house right now even if he was leaning towards retiring. It's too soon. He would likely wait until next year to do it. I think this is just a coincidence. 

Well, he has school age kids, right?  So either they're here for school or they arent.  If he sold his house, one would presume he's not planning on living here (at least short term if he's building something new).  He *was* here (we know from the Earls pics).

The spin seems to be this surgery means he's not coming back this year OR it means he's fixing an injury so he *can* potentially come back this year.

this is sort of random and mildly off topic, but I've always been curious what part of Winnipeg is "enough" for NHL players with NHL money. I know Chipman has property along Roblin West (kinda out by Shelmardines and Breezy Bend) and there's some really nice places out that way, backing on to the river......but south of the perimeter makes a lot of sense, too.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is sort of random and mildly off topic, but I've always been curious what part of Winnipeg is "enough" for NHL players with NHL money. I know Chipman has property along Roblin West (kinda out by Shelmardines and Breezy Bend) and there's some really nice places out that way, backing on to the river......but south of the perimeter makes a lot of sense, too.

Didnt several players get homes in Waverly West?   Kane had a condo on...Wellington?  Ladd was living in Towes condo on Snow (I think its Snow, behind Victoria Hsp).

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Pritchard Farms is popular. Wheeler lives in Royalwood. The newer end of Tuxedo has some really big places on fake lakes. I know a couple have rented in Van Hull. 

I think, if you're settling in Winnipeg for a bit, you buy something in town, in a quiet enough neighbourhood with good schools. You're probably not spending the off-season (after school ends) at that house anyhow. 

Jets don't seem to be overly impressed with this situation. Sounds like he was thinking about doing it, and told them he was thinking about it, but never told them when he actually decided and then did it. I can understand that. Still, I feel like him freeing up cap space is a good thing. He's a write-off for this year and at best he can look at coming back to camp next fall, if he feels up to it.