Byfuglien contemplating NHL future

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Wonder when Buff told the Jets about the possibility cuz hate to say it but if it was just recent.. He screwed them a bit. 

Sure seems like it since he was here skating, had the meeting with Chevy and then went home.  And certainly did screw the jets but ensuring they couldnt be in on any free agent d-men and have to keep space for him.  Of course, the Jets could also force the issue if they wanted and it seems clear they are willing to give Buff time which makes me think he's coming back, but late (like Scott N).

For whats it worth Bobby Mac said on 1290 this morning he thinks Buff is *not* coming back but said he has no inside knowledge, just his feeling.

I was at a hockey pool party this week and there were three different rumours for Buff's leaving and all three were backed by "my source knows directly".  lol

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Unless these young un's  on defense can grow in a hurry...coupling that with the exit of Buff (maybe?)...I think we could be in for a long year...Some great scoring chances missed against the NYR's also ...can't do that when we know we're going to leak on d....Whoever we play in goal is going to have to stand on their head...'Come back Buff'...these young guys need an experienced teacher

Just now, Stickem said:

Unless these young un's  on defense can grow in a hurry...coupling that with the exit of Buff (maybe?)...I think we could be in for a long year...Some great scoring chances missed against the NYR's also ...can't do that when we know we're going to leak on d....Whoever we play in goal is going to have to stand on their head...'Come back Buff'...these young guys need an experienced teacher

Based on one game (which is never a good idea), the good news could be, if Helle plays better, Jets win every game 6-3.

On 2019-10-04 at 12:45 PM, Noeller said:

Friedman had a piece in the latest podcast about it. Basically said Buff was set to retire, but Chevy talked him out of it (for the time being). Told him to at least think about it for awhile and they'd wait as long as they possibly could for him. 

Assuming this is true, what a tough spot. If the jets can hang on to a playoff spot and buff rejoins the team in January you’re adding a top D for nothing.  

But at some point of things are bad they need to know they have the cap space to look for a trade. Even then it means sending something out (or using the cap space to take someone they see value in but is maybe Over paid, no one comes to mind). 

They missed the chance to use the cap savings during free agency.  

And for Buff, if his heart wasn’t in it why would the prospect of returning to a team with little chance to win excite him?  

Whenever I see rumours the Pens are close to trading Jack Johnson I get worried.   Also heard rumours jets had talked to Dion phaneuf. 

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Assuming this is true, what a tough spot. If the jets can hang on to a playoff spot and buff rejoins the team in January you’re adding a top D for nothing.  

But at some point of things are bad they need to know they have the cap space to look for a trade. Even then it means sending something out (or using the cap space to take someone they see value in but is maybe Over paid, no one comes to mind). 

They missed the chance to use the cap savings during free agency.  

And for Buff, if his heart wasn’t in it why would the prospect of returning to a team with little chance to win excite him?  

Whenever I see rumours the Pens are close to trading Jack Johnson I get worried.   Also heard rumours jets had talked to Dion phaneuf. 

Yea definitely no to Jackson and Phaneuf..Honka would look good. Really i love Buff but he really has put the Jets in a tough spot ...we have now lost 4 starting Defensemen from last year, tough to overcome. Hopefully Buff decides soon and we ethier move on or we get him back.

8 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yea definitely no to Jackson and Phaneuf..Honka would look good. Really i love Buff but he really has put the Jets in a tough spot ...we have now lost 4 starting Defensemen from last year, tough to overcome. Hopefully Buff decides soon and we ethier move on or we get him back.

All sorts of rumours that he sold his house and pulled his kids out of school. Who knows lol 

but if the idea is buff might rejoin the team in January let’s say, Chevy still gains a lot of cap space to shore up D now.  But what’s out there?  

I like the idea of Honka too but he’s not stepping into a top 4. He’d be a project. 

Hamonic would be an obvious one but why would Flames do that now?   Saw some fan ideas of Roslo to Jackets for Savard.  Hate to give up on Roslo but I assume jackets would want him in any trade. 

On 2019-10-04 at 12:27 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Based on one game (which is never a good idea), the good news could be, if Helle plays better, Jets win every game 6-3.

The pressure of having to make up for a weak D will burn out the goal-tending.  After that, it won't matter how much the forwards score, they'll miss the playoffs. 

I aint trading a pretty good looking center atm who is young and cheap and has huge chemistry with a guy who signed 7 years recently for a guy like Savard. Short term fix? Why.. Id trade a 3rd for Honka tho or maybe Vesa for someone. Prob RHD more necessary. 

Josh Heinola. Samberg all lhd. 

Pionk poolman Niku Biteto.. Yeah.  Not much there in the system.. Kovacevic maybe. 

Top 4 RHD is needed if Buff goes away but maybe I move a winger or Little or Perreault for 1 in the off season instead.. Strong draft coming