Byfuglien contemplating NHL future

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

There were a lot of sideways glances when that Little extension came out...  its not hindsight

Regardless of how fans reacted when Little's extension was signed, you can't dump on Cheveldayoff for making that move and then use the Stastny acquisition to justify said criticism. That trade, which happened months after Little's extension, surprised the entire hockey world. There was nothing to suggest back in the fall of 2017 that Stastny would become available at the TDL later that season. 

Moreover, the Jets tried to keep Stastny by moving salary in the 2018 off-season. If memory serves me correctly, he was offered a two-year deal worth around $6M per year. He opted to sign with the Knights who gave him an extra year and slightly more money.

I didn't necessarily agree with the Little extension at the time, but I can understand why it happened when it did. I just don't see a logical correlation between that and "losing" Stastny.

And I agree: Little appears to have lost a step and it's a problem for this team going forward.

Just now, Brandon said:

Is it possible that Byfuglien could retire and then re-join the team later in the season on a new contract?    Maybe a ploy to give the big guy a break and gain extra moolah to sign Laine and Connor?

that's not happening in a million years.......

17 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Regardless of how fans reacted when Little's extension was signed, you can't dump on Cheveldayoff for making that move and then use the Stastny acquisition to justify said criticism. That trade, which happened months after Little's extension, surprised the entire hockey world. There was nothing to suggest back in the fall of 2017 that Stastny would become available at the TDL later that season. 

Moreover, the Jets tried to keep Stastny by moving salary in the 2018 off-season. If memory serves me correctly, he was offered a two-year deal worth around $6M per year. He opted to sign with the Knights who gave him an extra year and slightly more money.

I didn't necessarily agree with the Little extension at the time, but I can understand why it happened when it did. I just don't see a logical correlation between that and "losing" Stastny.

And I agree: Little appears to have lost a step and it's a problem for this team going forward.

In fact, I recall Chevy saying they actually went above their own comfort level in their offer to Stastny before losing the bidding war to Vegas,   And your memory is correct in how we got him in the first place.  Chevy was surprised when he was texted that Stastny was available.

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Until a center gets more goals then Little he's our #2 center.

Don't agree with that logic at all.  Besides, what did he score last year?  15?  Give someone else a shot on the 2nd line and I bet that they could handle that level of production.  Hell Copp, I think had 11 goals, playing less games and with much lesser talent.

Edited by BomberBall

41 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Its not Statsny as an isolated case...  jumping the gun with Little also had a ripple effect with Copp, Roslo, Lowry...

Little's salary has trapped him as our 2nd C... now its two straight years of bringing in a trade deadline asset and admitting that Little is not working at the 2C...

But he will be trotted out again... and it won't work again

I like Little when he's with Perrault and Copp or Ehlers...  aside from that, he's a difficult player to pair with anyone - a shooting Centre who is not a world class sniper...

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Its not Statsny as an isolated case...  jumping the gun with Little also had a ripple effect with Copp, Roslo, Lowry...

Little's salary has trapped him as our 2nd C... now its two straight years of bringing in a trade deadline asset and admitting that Little is not working at the 2C...

But he will be trotted out again... and it won't work again

I like Little when he's with Perrault and Copp or Ehlers...  aside from that, he's a difficult player to pair with anyone - a shooting Centre who is not a world class sniper...

You want to replace Little with Copp, Roslo, or Lowry? None of those guys are second line centres. Maybe Roslo can become one but he hasn't shown it so far. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

You want to replace Little with Copp, Roslo, or Lowry? None of those guys are second line centres. Maybe Roslo can become one but he hasn't shown it so far. 

I'm saying that we have no idea if they can be or not...  Kevin Hayes sure didn't look like a 2C when he showed up either

42 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup. He’s here for 9 years. Loves being here. #1 d man. 

I think this is a great idea. Another key piece of that young core getting a letter could work in this team's favour. Morrissey looks to have all the intangibles needed for a leadership role.

Wheeler as the captain with Scheifele and Morrissey as alternates is something I'd support for sure. Hell, I'd even say give him an A even if Byfuglien comes back. Two leaders up front, two leaders on the back end.