Bombers vs Als Lead Up

Jpan85

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I meant. If they're only concerned about getting stats, that's not good. I want players on the team who only want to win, and if they get lots of stats etc while doing so it's a bonus. But not their main focus. 

Lots of the guys going to BC thought they were going to 'win'...  in the off-season, we criticized guys for going to a loser team like Montreal...

30 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Guys, the last 7 times that we won a Grey Cup, there was a Conservative federal government. If JT wins again, we are doomed. There now I've combined both topics.

Unfortunately we also had an NDP government in Manitoba in 1984.  I still remember Howard the Coward in his fur coat at the game in Edmonton.  At least he was at the game I guess.

On ‎2019‎-‎09‎-‎18 at 3:10 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Short answer is yes. Do you want the longer stats-filled version?

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

YES.

OK.

Since 1950 (when the CFL started compiling stats for 1,000 yard receiving and rushing seasons), from 1950 to 1973, only 4 times in 24 years did the Grey Cup champ have a 1,000 yard receiver. - Wpg. in 1959, Ham. in 1963, Sask. in 1966, and Ott. in 1969

From 1974 to 2018, only 4 times in 45 years has the Grey Cup champ NOT had a 1,000 yard receiver - Mtl. in 1977, Wpg. in 1990, and Cal. in both 2014 and 2018.

So in total, 24 of 69 champions since 1950 have NOT had a 1,000 yard receiver. 16 of the 69 champions have had the league leading receiver on their team.

As for rushers, 32 of 69 champions have had a 1,000 yard rusher on their team (but only 2 in the last 9 years). In 1 instance, the rusher who had 1,000 yards total accumulated that total with 2 teams that season, but was on the Grey Cup champ at the end of the year.  9 times in 69 years the rushing champ has also won the Grey Cup.

From 1950 to 1973, in those 24 years the Grey Cup winner had NEITHER a 1,000 yard receiver or rusher 12 times, and had BOTH only twice (Wpg. in 1959, and Sask. in 1966).

From 1974 to 2018, in those 45 years the Grey Cup winner has had BOTH a 1,000 yard receiver and rusher 20 times, and had NEITHER only twice (Mtl. in 1977 and Cal. in 2018).

So only 14 of 69 Grey Cup champs since 1950 have had neither a 1,000 yard receiver or rusher, and the other 55 have either one of (33 times) or both (22 times). Of those 55 teams with either a 1,000 yard receiver or rusher, 24 times has that team had the league leader in either category on their team (receiver 16 times, rusher 9 times). And yes, my math is right, because...….

Only one team in CFL history since 1950 has had both the rushing leader AND receiving leader on their team in the same season that they won the Grey Cup - Calgary in 2008.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Oh please....I haven't had a Grey Cup to cheer about since I was 10. It wouldn't be close...

And I may never see another Grey Cup in my lifetime if this team can't do it so I WANT THEM TO WIN. Some of you here have never experienced the satisfaction of being able to shut the **** up every other CFL fanbase by saying your team is the champion.  I remember that 84 championship feeling the best over 1988 & 90. Until then, 22 years between championships. Beat the Lions at BC Place in the West final. Killed the Ti Cats in the GC in Edmonton. It was a great feeling & I want to experience it again at least one more time before I check out.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd prefer guys who want to win and not just get stats. But that's just me....

Of course...but the reality is professional athletes want both. Sure winning is great but it's not as great if you virtually played no part in the victory. Any athlete that dedicates a major part of their life to compete wants to be the best and being the best means personal performance.

Would any of us really want players on our team that didn't want to be the best? Would any of us feel as satisfied/accomplished winning a championship we played little part in helping to achieve?

A player's career is pretty short. Not many years to make your mark. Expecting players to not care about their personal legacy to something to which they have dedicated their life is not reasonable. There's a difference between being a team-first guy and not caring if, or how, you perform personally.

I don't think there'd even be professional athletes if there wasn't pride in personal accomplishments.

Edited by Deiter Fan

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And I may never see another Grey Cup in my lifetime if this team can't do it so I WANT THEM TO WIN. Some of you here have never experienced the satisfaction of being able to shut the **** up every other CFL fanbase by saying your team is the champion.  I remember that 84 championship feeling the best over 1988 & 90. Until then, 22 years between championships. Beat the Lions at BC Place in the West final. Killed the Ti Cats in the GC in Edmonton. It was a great feeling & I want to experience it again at least one more time before I check out.

*edit* sorry this turned into a loooong post

I was twelve in ‘88 and fourteen in ‘90 (there my math skillz prove I’m not a rider d0uch3bag).  I don’t remember anything except what I’ve been told about the ‘84 GC team.  But after the 1990 Cup win I believed we would always be in it and win it way more than not.  

The spectacular Dunigan seasons of ‘92 and ‘93 were pure misery at the end, but weren’t enough to shake my belief that another championship was just around the corner.  Then came 2001, and 2007, and in 2011 I was sure that Buck Pierce and Swaggerville would break a Lions team that had allll the pressure on their shoulders.

I’m honestly grateful we’ve had progress and plenty of good times the last few years with O’shea’s teams.  I’m also the kind of fan where a regular season loss kind of craps on my week until the next game - and the playoff losses are seriously tough to take... but hey the lows are part and parcel with the highs right?

Fortunate enough to watch the games every week with my parents the last three years.  My dad turned 75 last year, and my mom is a cancer survivor.  Both diehard Bomber fans since they came to Canada in the 70’s, and after we moved from Leaf Rapids, MB to Edmonton in ‘81, my immigrant parents often went to Commonwealth to cheer for the Bombers while completely surrounded by hostile Eskimos fans.

Anyways it’s one of my greatest wishes; to witness another Blue Bomber Grey Cup championship with my folks.  My mind knows it’s nothing we fans have any control over, but my heart wants it so bad, hence plenty of heavy drinking to cope.

IN CONCLUSION, Mr Speedflex I totally get where you’re coming from, even if our opinions on team building differ from time to time!

34 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

I was twelve in ‘88 and fourteen in ‘90 (there my math skillz prove I’m not a rider d0uch3bag).

Math is hard for a Rider a fan because when they were twelve they were in the fourth grade and when they were fourteen , they were still in the fourth grade. Those were the longest ten years of their life!

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

Math is hard for a Rider a fan because when they were twelve they were in the fourth grade and when they were fourteen , they were still in the fourth grade. Those were the longest ten years of their life!

Are we sure most Rider fans have a 4th grade education? That seems high.

1 hour ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

*edit* sorry this turned into a loooong post

I was twelve in ‘88 and fourteen in ‘90 (there my math skillz prove I’m not a rider d0uch3bag).  I don’t remember anything except what I’ve been told about the ‘84 GC team.  But after the 1990 Cup win I believed we would always be in it and win it way more than not.  

The spectacular Dunigan seasons of ‘92 and ‘93 were pure misery at the end, but weren’t enough to shake my belief that another championship was just around the corner.  Then came 2001, and 2007, and in 2011 I was sure that Buck Pierce and Swaggerville would break a Lions team that had allll the pressure on their shoulders.

I’m honestly grateful we’ve had progress and plenty of good times the last few years with O’shea’s teams.  I’m also the kind of fan where a regular season loss kind of craps on my week until the next game - and the playoff losses are seriously tough to take... but hey the lows are part and parcel with the highs right?

Fortunate enough to watch the games every week with my parents the last three years.  My dad turned 75 last year, and my mom is a cancer survivor.  Both diehard Bomber fans since they came to Canada in the 70’s, and after we moved from Leaf Rapids, MB to Edmonton in ‘81, my immigrant parents often went to Commonwealth to cheer for the Bombers while completely surrounded by hostile Eskimos fans.

Anyways it’s one of my greatest wishes; to witness another Blue Bomber Grey Cup championship with my folks.  My mind knows it’s nothing we fans have any control over, but my heart wants it so bad, hence plenty of heavy drinking to cope.

IN CONCLUSION, Mr Speedflex I totally get where you’re coming from, even if our opinions on team building differ from time to time!

Nice post. Appreciate it. Yeah, let's hope in a little over 2 months from now we can have the best off season since 1990.

I was going to be in Montreal for this game and had planned it out since the schedule was released.  Then my wife hit me with "can't you go alone" even though she's a big football fan and never misses Giants games.

Go alone.  Just what I want to do.  Drive 8 hours from New Jersey to Montreal, stay by myself for 2-3 nights, tour Montreal by myself, go to the game by myself, and then drive 8 hours home....by myself.

Last time I was in Montreal was a family vacation in 1982.  Every picture has me wearing NY Islanders stuff.  It was just after Cup #3.  Loved to piss off the locals.

Just now, Jim McD said:

I was going to be in Montreal for this game and had planned it out since the schedule was released.  Then my wife hit me with "can't you go alone" even though she's a big football fan and never misses Giants games.

Go alone.  Just what I want to do.  Drive 8 hours from New Jersey to Montreal, stay by myself for 2-3 nights, tour Montreal by myself, go to the game by myself, and then drive 8 hours home....by myself.

Last time I was in Montreal was a family vacation in 1982.  Every picture has me wearing NY Islanders stuff.  It was just after Cup #3.  Loved to piss off the locals.

I too want to go to Montreal, alone, without my wife. 

Just now, JCon said:

I too want to go to Montreal, alone, without my wife. 

I had The Sacred Jersey all set to go.  The Sacred Jersey has my last name and #9 for Clark Gillies, my hockey idol.   Used to play a lot of hockey in my younger days and always wore my Sacred Jersey with my matching blue/white/orange gloves and blue pants during pick-up games or rink rentals.

With a win the Bombers can reach 10+ wins for a 4th straight year - they have not accomplished that in 32 years (1984 to 1987). - Winnipeg has won the last 5 times they have played Montreal and each of their last 3 visits to Molson Stadium.

- The Bombers' 9-3 .750 record through 12 games matches their best mark at that point since 2003 (9-3 in 2017 as well).

- Montreal has now gone 5 games in a row without scoring a point off of an Opponent Turnover.

- Winnipeg has created a field position edge in 10 of their 12 games this year starting on average at their own 38 (#1 in CFL). - The Bombers have been strong starters - they are +112 in the 1st half of games in 2019, and a modest +15 in the 2nd half. - The Alouettes have allowed the fewest 1st Quarter points with just 34 in 11 games (4 OPPT TDs).

- Montreal is 6-3 in their last 9 games - their 3 losses have all been by 7 points or less (7, 3 & 2-point deficits).

Non-Tackle Defensive Play Leaders - Willie Jefferson leads by far in combination of actions that disrupt Opponent Offences

- In Chris Streveler's start vs Montreal last year, he led Winnipeg to a 56-10 victory with 246 passing yards and 3 TDs.

- Andrew Harris returns and needs 92 yards rushing to reach 1,000 for the 3rd straight season (that would be a career-best streak).

- Vernon Adams Jr. has set a Montreal for TDs by a Quarterback with 11 in 2019.

- Montreal QB Starters Since 2016 - Vernon Adams 9-4 .692; All 8 Other Starting QBs 13-39 .250

- Eugene Lewis - First 7 games: 17 catches for 243 yds, 0 TDs; Last 4 games: 26 for 374 yds, 3 TDs.

- DeVier Posey - First 7 games: 9 catches for 100 yds; Last 4 games: 23 for 389 yds, 9 catches for 2nd down conversions.

- Mike Miller is now by himself at #3 all-time with 178 ST Tackles and trails Wade Miller by 6 for the #2 spot.

- John Bowman (130) is one Sack away from passing Vince Goldsmith (130.5) for #6 all-time.

- Justin Medlock passed Gerry Organ moving up to #15 A/T (1,474 pts). He has made 100 consecutive converts from 32 yds. ______________________________________________________________________________

-Game Notes