Laine comments

Old Bomber Fan

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

Perfect. Qualifying offer will be fine and both parties will know what they have.

Glad he signed.

Now, as fans, what can we reasonable expect from this talented young hockey player for the next two years? i.e., expectations that correlate with the money he is/was compensated for his services? Need the answer so when people post their good/bad observations of his play/production, they'll know the parameters. 🙂

14 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Glad he signed.

Now, as fans, what can we reasonable expect from this talented young hockey player for the next two years? i.e., expectations that correlate with the money he is/was compensated for his services? Need the answer so when people post their good/bad observations of his play/production, they'll know the parameters. 🙂

50 goals/season or he's a bust.

Hopefully this encourages Conner to get his deal done, and for Buff to make a final decision.

I have concerns regarding Laine's consistency, especially in his own end, but there is no doubt about his ability to put pucks in the net.   I would suggest that it is better for the team to have this deal done, and to get on with playing hockey.    Holdouts cause disruption to a team, and now they have one less to worry about.

Man, Patrik Laine is 21. He hasn't grown up yet & he said things that some people took exception to. I don't think he'd say anything like that if he was 28. He reached out to Little & apologized & Little said he is fine with that. He even said he originally took no offense. If a young athlete can't be given some slack when they say things then neither should older people who should know better. And for the record, I'm one of the older posters here & get taken to task for my comments all the time. I think that Old Bomber Fan was a bit harsh on Laine. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Man, pATRIK Laine is 21. He hasn't grown up yet & he said things that some people took exception to. I don't think he'd say anything like that if he was 28. He reached out to Little & apologized & Little said he is fine with that. He even said he originally took no offense. If a young athlete can't be given some slack when they say things then neither should older people who should know better. And for the record, I'm one of the older posters here & get taken to task for my comments all the time. I think that Old Bomber Fan was a bit harsh on Laine. 

You're too old to have an opinion on this. Laine scores 50, does his penance at the foot of Timothy Eaton's statue, and delivers a Stanley Cup to Portage and Main or he's a bum who won't back-check and should never have been drafted. 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

You're too old to have an opinion on this. Laine scores 50, does his penance at the foot of Timothy Eaton's statue, and delivers a Stanley Cup to Portage and Main or he's a bum who won't back-check and should never have been drafted. 

At least Laine never pulled his pants down when talking to that reporter who broke the story in Finland. 

Not sure I was too harsh on Laine simply stating some facts albeit I had one wrong.  I guess all I’m saying is I received conformation of his attitude even while growing up in Finland from people who knew him there and followed him in hockey until he left. I do believe I said they would bridge him but sign Connor for more years and that has proven to be correct. I don’t think the jets are sold on his ability to be a team, two way player hence the bridge. Will be interesting to see what transpires in the next two years...if he develops into a team player they will offer more, if he continues this way guessing you will see a trade in next years off season. Do it is up to him. His true character will show through one way or the other.

if he is just an immature young man as a hockey player and grows into a team player I’m wrong, if he doesn’t and remains his petulant self blaming everyone else for his shortcoming, he will be traded and unfortunately I’ll be right. Let’s hope for the former!

25 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Not sure I was too harsh on Laine simply stating some facts albeit I had one wrong.  I guess all I’m saying is I received conformation of his attitude even while growing up in Finland from people who knew him there and followed him in hockey until he left. I do believe I said they would bridge him but sign Connor for more years and that has proven to be correct. I don’t think the jets are sold on his ability to be a team, two way player hence the bridge. Will be interesting to see what transpires in the next two years...if he develops into a team player they will offer more, if he continues this way guessing you will see a trade in next years off season. Do it is up to him. His true character will show through one way or the other.

if he is just an immature young man as a hockey player and grows into a team player I’m wrong, if he doesn’t and remains his petulant self blaming everyone else for his shortcoming, he will be traded and unfortunately I’ll be right. Let’s hope for the former!

I'm not sure the Jets wouldn't have been open to a longer term deal with Laine but it wouldn't have worked for the cap because the dollars would have had to be a lot higher. I think he has the desire to become a better two way player and he's certainly made progress in that regard.  Its just that with his goals being down last year and him being in his third year people actually were focusing a lot on his two way game. When you're a rookie and scoring 40 goals nobody cares.  It takes time especially coming from the large ice surface to the NHL game and after being such a good goal scorer at every level he was probably never pressed too much on his defense until he got to the NHL.  He's learning and yah is probably frustrating for him but i believe he's going to get there in time. He's still a kid. He's the same age as Logan Stanley and I'd argue he's better defensively for a forward than Stanely as an NHL defensemen right now. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I'm not sure the Jets wouldn't have been open to a longer term deal with Laine but it wouldn't have worked for the cap because the dollars would have had to be a lot higher. I think he has the desire to become a better two way player and he's certainly made progress in that regard.  Its just that with his goals being down last year and him being in his third year people actually were focusing a lot on his two way game. When you're a rookie and scoring 40 goals nobody cares.  It takes time especially coming from the large ice surface to the NHL game and after being such a good goal scorer at every level he was probably never pressed too much on his defense until he got to the NHL.  He's learning and yah is probably frustrating for him but i believe he's going to get there in time. He's still a kid. He's the same age as Logan Stanley and I'd argue he's better defensively for a forward than Stanely as an NHL defensemen right now. 

Regardless this bridge deal is really nice...  Laine will command a huge return at $7.5 million qualifying even if he is a problem or if Copp/Roslo have somehow eclipsed his development

Chevy pulled through in the end... salary structure makes sense now

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-09-17 at 9:44 AM, Old Bomber Fan said:

Just read a report of laine’s Comments while in Finland. Just goes to show the type of player he is....selfish and only interested in himself! A one way hockey player who doesn’t understand team responsibilities and what it means to be a two way player. By the sounds of it he doesn’t want to play in Winnipeg and figures he knows better than anyone else where he should play. Reminds me of his comment when Matthews was selected first and him second. Get rid of the guy he is a detriment to the team...good bye as fast as you can

Just bringing this thread back as a reminder to those that were hating on Laine a few weeks ago. He's just leading the league in points so far this year. It's early, but it's hard to square that fact with the idea that he's "a detriment to the team." 

Edited by JCon