Tiger-Cats @ Stampeders

Zontar

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Will libraries even be necessary in 10 years? Everything is going digital 

We built it. We paid that much. More people will attend games at a new football stadium than ever go to a new library downtown. But our mayor is a typical politician vowing to never spend a penny to support a professional team but will commit billions to a build to a new library. BTW, the City isn't funding a new arena for the Flames. They are funding an "Event Centre" that will host rock, pop & country concerts. The politicians are loathe to call it an arena & the new home of the Flames. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

We built it. We paid that much. More people will attend games at a new football stadium than ever go to a new library downtown. But our mayor is a typical politician vowing to never spend a penny to support a professional team but will commit billions to a project to a new library. BTW, the City isn't funding a new arena for the Flames. They are funding an "Event Centre" that will host rock, pop & country concerts. The politicians are loathe to call it an arena & the new home of the Flames. 

Yet they tried to get Canada to build then arena by bidding for an OG that nobody outside of Calgary wanted them to have.

Brutal 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

They are meant to be centres of learning. They offer more than just books. But they still have tons of books. 

I don't hate libraries,  but the actual physical building seems intended to house books.

They do offer more than just books, 1.5 B seems like an insane amount 

Edited by Geebrr

Just now, Geebrr said:

Yet they tried to get Canada to build then arena by bidding for an OG that nobody outside of Calgary wanted them to have.

Brutal 

The new arena wasn't part of the Olympic proposal & budget. A refurbed Saddledome was. There were very few new facilities proposed. They were willing to share downhill skiing with Whisler even though taxpayers in Calgary would have to pay for new facilities there.  The bid died because Calgarians wanted a new arena, they were shocked that 4 billion dollars built no new facilities & there was no way in Hell we'd be willing to fund facilities in Whisler & not Alberta. It was a cheap bid. Also, the feds were not going to cover any cost overruns. It would be Calgary taxpayers responsibility. So, the bid proposal was massively defeated. 

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don't hate libraries,  but the actual physical building seems intended to house books.

They do offer more than just books, 1.5 B seems like an insane amount 

It is. Our Mayor loves culture & art. Hates pro sports. Nenshi is a tool. The only time he shows up at sporting events is if he can wear his Stetson & be the centre of attention. Frigging media *****.  He doesn't know the difference between a hockey puck & a golf ball.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

It is. Our Mayor loves culture & art. Hates pro sports. Nenshi is a tool. The only time he shows up at sporting events is if he can wear his Stetson & be the centre of attention. Frigging media *****. 

I remember everyone loving him during the flooding a few years ago though

Just now, Noeller said:

Don't shut on libraries or the arts. I'm hugely in favour of funding them. There's room for the arts and sports to co-exist. 

Neither the Stamps nor TiCats scare me, as a Bombers fan. 

To be clear: I'm not anti-library😂

1.5B is an insane amount for one though, IMO

21 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

But, I mean , they are meant to be for books.

Its like the original coffee shops really.

Ppl go to Chill quietly.. Sleep.. Study Read.. Kids... Tons of kids.. 

Boring AF tho. Unless u into Milfs. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Floyd said:

Didn’t Nenshi just cut a deal on the arena... what are you bitching about now

Nenshi didn't cut a deal. He just has one vote on council & most of his allies deserted him on the arena. He screwed up the first deal so badly the Flames refused to deal with him again. So, after a year & a half cooling off period & a civic election with a new city council they formed a new committee to negotiate with the Flames but Nenshi was not on that committee. Other councillors handled it & he was brought up to speed like everybody else whenever they reported to council. In the first round of negotiations he'd mouth off to the media when things were supposed to be kept in silence which really pissed off Flames President Ken King. he said the Hell with it & walked away from negotiations.