Morrissey extended. 8 Years. $50 Million. $6.25M AAV

JCon

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One down..

I think this helps get the RFA deals done. Chevy was obviously worried about locking up some key pieces, to be certain he could fit everyone in. With this done, it probably makes Connor's long term deal a lock and shorter, "show me", bridge contract for Laine. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think this helps get the RFA deals done. Chevy was obviously worried about locking up some key pieces, to be certain he could fit everyone in. With this done, it probably makes Connor's long term deal a lock and shorter, "show me", bridge contract for Laine. 

Hes coming off a bridge tho.. Dude took a discount IMO AAV wise.. Interesting contract breakdown.. 8 next couple dropping to 4.8 in yr 7 8 

This is more of a team friendly want to be here for real like Scheifs Ehlers...

Connors hold up is likely contract structure. 

Laine? Dude likely wants 10 plus long term. Hopefully he signs a 2 yr bridge like Josh and then signs long term. 

Edited by Goalie

We've come to that moment that this amount of money to play hockey is considered a bargain for the organization. Yeesh.

It's been reported that Marner and company are haggling a 11 million dollar a year over X number of years offer to play hockey. Yeesh

I don't begrudge anyonel specific and I know professional sport is a business but c'mon jeez louise.

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

We've come to that moment that this amount of money to play hockey is considered a bargain for the organization. Yeesh.

It's been reported that Marner and company are haggling a 11 million dollar a year over X number of years offer to play hockey. Yeesh

I don't begrudge anyonel specific and I know professional sport is a business but c'mon jeez louise.

It's a bargain in relation to the salary cap and what other teams would be willing to pay. 

It's still a gaudy salary figure. 

I don't begrudge any pro athletes for the money they make. A human being that can do what they do, and a human being willing to put his life on the line every time they step on the ice (career ending or even life threatening injuries can happen at any time). It's the old Babe Ruth line when he was asked about making more money than the president and he said "Yeah, well, can the president hit a slider?" And that's about it. These are uniquely gifted human beings who train 12 months of the year to do what they do....the money is such a sliver of what the owners are taking in...

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's a bargain in relation to the salary cap and what other teams would be willing to pay. 

It's still a gaudy salary figure. 

I know and it's not just the salary amount but the gobs of money professional sport makes for a small percentage of the population(Owners, shareholders, corporations etc).

If I think about it too much it can sometimes dull the shine of enjoying the true nature of sport. I don't know if it  started out with this intention in mind.

Anyway, Go Sports.

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

lol, I was watching CBC and the headline came across the ticker

'Jets extended Josh Williamson to an 8 year $50M deal'

I thought they were talking about the NFL Jets because I had no clue who Josh Williamson was. 

He's Mark Wheeler's brother in law.

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't begrudge any pro athletes for the money they make. A human being that can do what they do, and a human being willing to put his life on the line every time they step on the ice (career ending or even life threatening injuries can happen at any time). It's the old Babe Ruth line when he was asked about making more money than the president and he said "Yeah, well, can the president hit a slider?" And that's about it. These are uniquely gifted human beings who train 12 months of the year to do what they do....the money is such a sliver of what the owners are taking in...

I only begrudge the fact that I used to be able to pick up Jets tickets at $40-50 for decent seats and now its $100+ for absolute nosebleed...  these prices will just keep going up as salaries go up - and we'll miss another season of hockey with a lockout soon I'd guess...  

Main reason I like the CFL - salaries are high but normal in relation to the rest of the world... about where they should be

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

I only begrudge the fact that I used to be able to pick up Jets tickets at $40-50 for decent seats and now its $100+ for absolute nosebleed...  these prices will just keep going up as salaries go up - and we'll miss another season of hockey with a lockout soon I'd guess...  

Main reason I like the CFL - salaries are high but normal in relation to the rest of the world... about where they should be

At some point you would think the Jane and Joe blow fans of the world will be completely priced out of the market.

On 2019-09-13 at 7:20 AM, Floyd said:

You can get seats on ticketmaster for 80 dollars to most games but what I tend to do is buy off season ticket holders who are looking to get rid of some games... easily find tickets in the 50-75 range whenever I want them (aside from really premium games which are a little harder to come by).

I do agree that tickets are getting way too pricey though... I'm just sharing how I try to work around it. 😁