World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Pinawa guy here...raised with the idea that nuclear is great. There's issues with the disposal of waste, but for the most part it's a really safe alternative. It's unfortunate that Atomic Energy Canada mostly pulled out of Manitoba in the late 90s, but "SMR's" (Small Modular Reactors) are becoming a thing now, and Pinawa has been courting a company pretty heavily over the last several years to hopefully come there and set up shop. 

My understanding of Thorium salt reactors is that the waste is inactive after only 150 years which is a game changer . Most reactor disasters have been due to coolant issues which they don't have as well. It's been a while since I've read and watched about them but they look so promising to me. 

On 2022-03-11 at 8:19 AM, GCn20 said:

I would think that both Pinaymootang and Grand Rapids would need one for most of the EVs out there. I don't think I would be comfortable attempting Thompson to Winnipeg with Pinaymootang as the first available charging station. That's roughly 550 km without a charge which would definitely push the limits of even the Ultium in the winter time. The F150 lightning would never make it, and most other EVs it would be impossible. Even Grand Rapids to Thompson would be problematic for many EVs in the winter. It is 329 kms and there is nothing between GR and Thompson anymore so a solution to that stretch will be a tough one.

Another tough trip would be the Pas to Thompson, with nothing available for 380km. For many remote and rural areas EV use is just not feasible at this point and time. I'm not even going to get into the many communities that simply cannot support EV charge stations because their hydro grids won't allow for it. Hopefully, some major infrastructure is developed over the next 10-15 years. There are still many communities in the North and Northern Ontario without the 3 phase power capability needed for rapid chargers.

I won't even get into the various hydro companies capability to handle the power increase needed for this. Southern Ontario, for instance, already cannot produce enough energy for current needs. A national power grid would need to be developed and that is realistically 15 years away. maybe more, if Trudeau continues to dither on a national energy plan.

In the US, many electrical companies have already stated that without massive infrastructure and capability upgrades that there is realistically no way they could support the power requirements of everyone driving an EV. Anyone thinking that this rise in gas price expedites EV conversion is dreaming technicolor, the appetite might be there by the people but the world is not ready for it yet. 

I used to drive Thompson to Lynne Lake. I told my story about hitting the ditch driving back to Thompson in minuis 45 temps. No way an EV could last in that. 

So, all the North American car companies ditched automobiles last year in favour of heavy pickups & SUV's. Oil was about $50 a barrel at the time. Now it's approaching 3 times that. No one is going to buy the big vehicles with gas prices like that. Has GM, Ford & Chrysler screwed themselves over & will they do a hard 180 to discontinue these vehicles as sales for large vehicles tank & get back into smaller automobiles & light trucks. They did it as a result of Trump getting rid of fuel mileage standards in the US. I thought the decision they all made at the time was shortsighted & now they all have to rethink their strategies & bring back cars to the buying public with better gas mileage than at present. 

16 hours ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

I don't know what to say but you might want to take a deep breath before you watch this:

Shared this on my Whats App status to gauge the response

People live in a world where they can ignore reality...if it doesn't suit them.

1. It's propoganda

2. There are busted crisis actors with fake injuries

3. There's a Ukrainian anti-air missile doing friendly fire

4. And the usual rhetoric about people airing Russia's dirty laundry 

5. Oh and - just by sharing this - I'm ignoring the Ukrainian civil war

6. Etc. etc. etc. 

China is completely complicit in this and could shut Russia down if they wanted to. We are extremely hesitant as a nation/alliance to put pressure on China to do the right thing because of how intertwined our economies are. One action that individuals can do - stop/reduce buying Chinese goods. We've funded that regime with our desire for cheap goods for years, while casting aside human rights issues.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Apparently the hospitals, morgues and triage stations in Belarus are overloaded with Russian casualties and fatalities. An eighty man Russian elite commando unit has refused to deploy to Ukraine and some 200 sailors in Crimea have refused to leave their barracks. 

What are your sources for this? SOunds awesome, hope it's true.

Squatters break into London mansion reportedly owned by Russian oligarch

Return to menu

By Karla Adam9:46 a.m.

LONDON — Squatters early Monday broke into a mansion reportedly owned by a Russian oligarch, unfurled a Ukrainian flag and declared the property “liberated” and ready for refugees.

The home is said to belong to Oleg Deripaska, an oil tycoon and metals billionaire who the British government says is worth $2.6 billion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/14/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news-live-updates/#link-L7RCPG7WZVGVJDYCLLPVOTBDBQ

Deripaska:

"The Trump administration announced late last year it intended to lift sanctions on Deripaska’s companies, despite strong opposition from Democrats and some Republicans in Congress. The treasury department had imposed the sanctions on Deripaska and several of his companies in tandem with seven Russian oligarchs, 12 companies they owned or controlled, and 17 Russian government officials, for “malign activity” which included “attempting to subvert western democracies, and malicious cyber-activities”.

Treasury’s decision to lift sanctions on Deripaska was always suspect. In mid-January, Senate Democrats, joined by 11 Republicans, attempted to override Mnunchin and keep sanctions in place. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) even laid out the math:

But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell held together a coalition of 42 Republicans, including erstwhile Russia hawks Mitt Romney (R-UT) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC), to keep the lifting of sanctions on track."

moscow  mitch. 

He can slither away, his voters are not too bright.

Edited by Mark F

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-travel-poland-nato-lifestyle-984a54ae187f87a4e3a8e19dddd6e7ad

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — A Russian missile attack that killed at least 35 people in western Ukraine, some 15 miles from NATO member Poland, has stirred anxiety and spurred Poles to rush to passport offices and stockpile essentials amid fears the war could cut off supplies, or even spill over into Poland.

A long line of applicants, unseen for decades, formed Monday outside Warsaw’s main passport office on Krucza Street. Canned food, bottled water, flashlights and batteries filled shoppers’ baskets. People in the street talked of the latest news and their worries for the future.

...Russia’s strike Sunday on a Ukrainian military training center in Yavoriv, less than 15 miles (25 kilometers) from the border with Poland, shook the confidence of Poles living near the border and created anxiety among others all too aware of Russia’s and the Soviet Union’s past control of Poland’s territory.

"On March 3, as Russian military forces bombed Ukrainian cities as part of Vladimir Putin’s illegal invasion of his neighbor, the Kremlin sent out talking points to state-friendly media outlets with a request: Use more Tucker Carlson.

“It is essential to use as much as possible fragments of broadcasts of the popular Fox News host Tucker Carlson,"

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/exclusive-kremlin-putin-russia-ukraine-war-memo-tucker-carlson-fox/