World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

believe conservatives stand for fiscal responsibility, small government, and efficient program delivery.

Sadly they don't any more. They stand for social conservatism, corporate welfare and fiscal irresponsibility. Slashing taxes to starve the beast is bad policy. 

The closest thing we have to progressive conservatives in this country right now are the Liberals. They are pro business without the ideologically driven aspects of the current batch of conservatives. 

It's just too bad Trudeau is such a dope.

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

There's a little bit of projection going on here. Whenever someone criticizes what you say on the basis of fact or philosophy they get branded with Liberal or leftist or worse yet.... Trudeau supporter, the horror!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, no need for name calling. No one is a Trudeau supporter. I think we all agree he's just a tool. 

ehhhh... I'm not so against Trudeau. I don't necessarily think he's the smartest guy in any room he's in, but I definitely don't have the strong dislike that so many others do. I was raised that his dad is the greatest PM in Canadian history, so I went into his "reign" with a positive mindset. I think he's a good guy that wants to do the right thing, but isn't necessarily smart enough....but that's just my take. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

ehhhh... I'm not so against Trudeau. I don't necessarily think he's the smartest guy in any room he's in, but I definitely don't have the strong dislike that so many others do. I was raised that his dad is the greatest PM in Canadian history, so I went into his "reign" with a positive mindset. I think he's a good guy that wants to do the right thing, but isn't necessarily smart enough....but that's just my take. 

I was just being facetious to lighten things. 

He's quite a bit smarter than given credit. But, his time has come. Give me more Freeland!

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, no need for name calling. No one is a Trudeau supporter. I think we all agree he's just a tool. 

He is a tool but society has also become pussified so... 

He's better than the alternatives tho 

Jack Layton died at a tough time 

55 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Jack Layton died at a tough time 

Jack Layton was as greasy a politician as there was. Not sure how he gifted so many people into believing otherwise. Never liked that guy.

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

I wish I was as strong as a *****. That's a pretty resilient body part attached to some of the strongest people I know. If only testicles were as strong. 

Pssst, international women's day was a few days ago...

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Sadly they don't any more. They stand for social conservatism, corporate welfare and fiscal irresponsibility. Slashing taxes to starve the beast is bad policy. 

The closest thing we have to progressive conservatives in this country right now are the Liberals. They are pro business without the ideologically driven aspects of the current batch of conservatives. 

It's just too bad Trudeau is such a dope.

My main problem with JT has always been his arrogant elitist contrived caring for global issues wanting the appreciation from other country leaders not fully focussed on his own back yard ie Canada. But what’s going for him at the moment is he’s the best of the current crop among all the political parties.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

My main problem with JT has always been his arrogant elitist contrived caring for global issues wanting the appreciation from other country leaders not fully focussed on his own back yard ie Canada. But what’s going for him at the moment is he’s the best of the current crop among all the political parties.

Is that actually a thing, or is that a Sun Media line that's been trotted out until people started believing it as fact... 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Is that actually a thing, or is that a Sun Media line that's been trotted out until people started believing it as fact... 

This. The stuff that Sun media and Rebel news put up on their social media channels, is enough to numb anyone's brain.  They literally have clips of JT at international events, where they video edit and narrate to make it look like no one interacts with him.  

20 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Since when is anything done until the entire world is ready for it?  

Same person who complains that EV's aren't a solution because they can't be built fast enough ignores the reason they can't be built fast enough is due to high demand from consumers.

I think the world is certainly ready for evs for passenger vehicles. Charging stations   will eventually come . In my mind the biggest issue in weaning off fossil fuels Is food production and long distance transportation. That issue will eventually be hammered home to all consumers. 99% of what you buy has been in a truck. Everyone is in a panic when they fill their car ( it should be a car not unneeded SUVs and oversized pickups) but it will cost far more when transportation and food prices rocket. Canada because of our size and weather will be particularly hard hit. I believe we will rue the day our rail system was dismantled. 

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

think the world is certainly ready for evs for passenger vehicles. Charging stations   will eventually come .

Biden is building a charging network.

the gas powered car industry would not have thrived without the road and highway systems built and paid for by governments everywhere. 

Canadian governments are definitely bringing up the rear on this.

also

February 17, 2022 by Charles Morris

"A two-year-old Michigan startup, Our Next Energy (ONE), has built a custom battery pack that recently propelled a modified Tesla Model S for 752 miles. John Voelcker, writing in Car and Driver, reports that ONE retrofitted the car with a pack that stores twice the energy of Tesla’s original, and fits in exactly the same space."

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/startup-retrofits-a-tesla-model-s-with-a-750-mile-battery-pack

cleantechnica has a lot of info about ev

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/03/10/do-electric-cars-have-enough-range-should-tesla-increase-range-to-gas-car-levels/

Edited by Mark F

Meanwhile: the majority world's electricity is generated from fossil fuels and non - renewables

36% coal; 23% gas; 10% nuclear; 16% hydropower; 5% wind; 11% other sources

And, Hydropower creates issues with mercury level and flooding

The world could be 100% EV, and we would still need almost as much fossil fuel as we ever did

I don't see EVs as the way to put fossil fuels behind us - that is just not realistic

What EVs WILL DO, is create a system where fossil fuels are burned only in certain areas, as opposed to all over the highways, the way they are now

There will be a much greater ability implement the latest and best CLEAN TECHNOLOGIES, such as scrubbers for coal and biomass, burning oil at higher temperatures, etc.

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Meanwhile: the majority world's electricity is generated from fossil fuels and non - renewables

36% coal; 23% gas; 10% nuclear; 16% hydropower; 5% wind; 11% other sources

And, Hydropower creates issues with mercury level and flooding

The world could be 100% EV, and we would still need almost as much fossil fuel as we ever did

I don't see EVs as the way to put fossil fuels behind us - that is just not realistic

What EVs WILL DO, is create a system where fossil fuels are burned only in certain areas, as opposed to all over the highways, the way they are now

There will be a much greater ability implement the latest and best CLEAN TECHNOLOGIES, such as scrubbers for coal and biomass, burning oil at higher temperatures, etc.

If the world can get over the " eww factor " of the word nuclear and invest heavily into thorium salt reactors most of the issues of powering our society can be overcome. They need to be a part of a more green society.

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

If the world can get over the " eww factor " of the word nuclear and invest heavily into thorium salt reactors most of the issues of powering our society can be overcome. They need to be a part of a more green society.

Pinawa guy here...raised with the idea that nuclear is great. There's issues with the disposal of waste, but for the most part it's a really safe alternative. It's unfortunate that Atomic Energy Canada mostly pulled out of Manitoba in the late 90s, but "SMR's" (Small Modular Reactors) are becoming a thing now, and Pinawa has been courting a company pretty heavily over the last several years to hopefully come there and set up shop. 

Another reason to get off oil

"The government of Saudi Arabia has executed 81 people—including seven Yemenis and a Syrian national—over the past 24 hours in what is believed to be the largest mass execution in the kingdom's history.

Citing the country's interior ministry, the Wall Street Journalreported Saturday that most of those executed were Saudis.

"We cannot show our revulsion for Putin's atrocities by rewarding those of the Crown Prince."

"More than half were from the minority Shiite Muslim population," the Journal added. "The interior ministry didn't disclose how the men were killed. Executions in the past have involved beheading by sword in the kingdom, which remains among the world's top executioners despite recent efforts to curb the use of the death penalty.

There are prisoners of conscience on Saudi death row, and others arrested as children or charged with non-violent crimes. We fear for every one of them following this brutal display of impunity."

common dreams