World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I would be SHOCKED if there wasn't one along the way....I'm not sure on the direct route to Thompson, but Dauphin or The Pas has gotta have at least one, you'd think. 

Dauphin or The Pas would make my trip a couple hundred kilometers longer. I need one in Grand Rapids ideally. I would hope we get one there by then. We just got our very first stage 2 charger in Thompson a couple weeks ago so there is a lot of work to be done here too. I know that those living in the big cities can have quite a myopic view on EV infrastructure because they have it, but rural Canada is absolutely devoid of EV infrastructure currently with the exception of maybe BC and the gas stations in rural are all pretty small mom and pop operations that will need seed money to implement it. 

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Dauphin or The Pas would make my trip a couple hundred kilometers longer. I need one in Grand Rapids ideally. I would hope we get one there by then.

Don't you love Manitoba enough to travel the long way around to get to Winnipeg? You could stop at one of our National Parks and visit our second most populated city. Then marvel at our twined Highway 1. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Don't you love Manitoba enough to travel the long way around to get to Winnipeg? You could stop at one of our National Parks and visit our second most populated city. Then marvel at our twined Highway 1. 

I do love Manitoba...but not that much...lol. I actually quite enjoy the ride by Riding mountain area...would prefer not to HAVE to do it though. Plus it is a pretty long stretch from the Pas to Thompson....might be all for nought.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Dauphin or The Pas would make my trip a couple hundred kilometers longer. I need one in Grand Rapids ideally. I would hope we get one there by then. We just got our very first stage 2 charger in Thompson a couple weeks ago so there is a lot of work to be done here too. I know that those living in the big cities can have quite a myopic view on EV infrastructure because they have it, but rural Canada is absolutely devoid of EV infrastructure currently with the exception of maybe BC and the gas stations in rural are all pretty small mom and pop operations that will need seed money to implement it. 

It would make a ton of sense for Grand Rapids or Pinaymootang to get a charging station. Pair it with a place to eat and you could get a lot of extra business for the restaurant while waiting for charging. There would probably be a lot of grant money for that as well.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

The Korean manufacturers seem to be racing to go all-EV first., so you may want to keep an eye on them.

kia is now building its own chip factory because of the chip problem.

kia niro ev is a very nice car.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So I'm just an ignorant dummy......what do you guys see as the future of "gas stations", as we know them now? Is it as simple as the pumps get replaced by fast-charge stations? More complex than that? 

You're not an ignorant dummy at all. I'd say that's a pretty valid set of questions to ask.

IMO, it'll probably a combination of both (hybrid fuel/charging stations) as ICE vehicles get gradually phased out in the coming decades. I'm not sure of the environmental implications and disposal requirements of fossil fuel infrastructure (holding tanks, piping, pumps, etc.) but it would likely make the most sense to reuse those existing locations where feasible and install EV charging infrastructure.

Plenty of moving parts involved but this isn't reinventing the wheel, so I see it being a relatively smooth transition.

21 minutes ago, WildPath said:

It would make a ton of sense for Grand Rapids or Pinaymootang to get a charging station. Pair it with a place to eat and you could get a lot of extra business for the restaurant while waiting for charging. There would probably be a lot of grant money for that as well.

This seems like a practical approach. I fully expect The Pas and Thompson to get EV charging infrastructure sooner than later. It only seems like a logical step to put that in remote hubs as we see more EVs on the roads.

56 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So I'm just an ignorant dummy......what do you guys see as the future of "gas stations", as we know them now? Is it as simple as the pumps get replaced by fast-charge stations? More complex than that? 

For what it's worth, the gas station owner in my very small home town doesn't think he'll be able to sell (he's well into retirement age) because the land his station has sat on for 60-70 years is toxic from years of gas and fuel spills.

It would be best for Hydro to install a Level 3 charger anywhere in this town as everything is in walking distance.

Edited by Wideleft

17 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

For what it's worth, the gas station owner in my very small home town doesn't think he'll be able to sell (he's well into retirement age) because the land his station has sat on for 60-70 years is toxic from years of gas and fuel spills.

It would be best for Hydro to install a Level 3 charger anywhere in this town as everything is in walking distance.

sounds a lot like my home town (Pinawa) which does have a charger installed in town...

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

IMO, it'll probably a combination of both (hybrid fuel/charging stations) as ICE vehicles get gradually phased out in the coming decades. I'm not sure of the environmental implications and disposal requirements of fossil fuel infrastructure (holding tanks, piping, pumps, etc.) but it would likely make the most sense to reuse those existing locations where feasible and install EV charging infrastructure.

Plenty of moving parts involved but this isn't reinventing the wheel, so I see it being a relatively smooth transition.

This seems like a practical approach. I fully expect The Pas and Thompson to get EV charging infrastructure sooner than later. It only seems like a logical step to put that in remote hubs as we see more EVs on the roads.

Based on the current metal prices, all of that fossil fuel infrastructure can be recycled for a considerable amount of cash

Number 1 copper is as high as $5 per pound, aluminum cans are over 80 cents per pound

So I found out about this website: http://www.albertaev.ca/faqs/ (Alberta Electric Vehicle Association) and there's some interesting stuff incl: 

How do EV's handle winter?
Incredibly well! Most EVs have a number of advantages over other vehicles.

• There is never a fear that they won’t turn start, even on the coldest days. As there is no oil, there is no worry that it becomes too cold and thick, nor is there a concern about a 12V battery getting too weak, failing to turn the engine over, or the starter motor failing.
  • No more need to stand outside on a frigid morning refueling the vehicle at a gas station! It takes just a second to plug an EV in at the end of the day, and it will be full and ready to go well before you are the next day!
  • Perhaps the best part of winter EV ownership is that they heat up super fast! Not relying on the waste heat of the gasoline engine, most EVs instead use resistance heating, which generates heat nearly instantly. Yes this does consume a bit of battery, but even with any range impact, almost all EVs easily handle the Canadian average daily driving instance. Additionally, as next generation EVs are coming to market, with their larger batteries and thus increased range, the impact of winter range loss is quickly becoming a moot point even for drivers that greatly exceed daily driving averages.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

So I found out about this website: http://www.albertaev.ca/faqs/ (Alberta Electric Vehicle Association) and there's some interesting stuff incl: 

• There is never a fear that they won’t turn start, even on the coldest days. As there is no oil, there is no worry that it becomes too cold and thick, nor is there a concern about a 12V battery getting too weak, failing to turn the engine over, or the starter motor failing.
  • No more need to stand outside on a frigid morning refueling the vehicle at a gas station! It takes just a second to plug an EV in at the end of the day, and it will be full and ready to go well before you are the next day!
  • Perhaps the best part of winter EV ownership is that they heat up super fast! Not relying on the waste heat of the gasoline engine, most EVs instead use resistance heating, which generates heat nearly instantly. Yes this does consume a bit of battery, but even with any range impact, almost all EVs easily handle the Canadian average daily driving instance. Additionally, as next generation EVs are coming to market, with their larger batteries and thus increased range, the impact of winter range loss is quickly becoming a moot point even for drivers that greatly exceed daily driving averages.

Most EVs can be programmed to warm up while still plugged in and draw power for it directly from the charger.

There is a loss of range in cold weather. That is indisputable no matter what Elon claims. There have been numerous independant cold weather tests from independant consumer auto testers and you lose 15-20% range. However with a stage 2 charge nightly that only matters for heavy use or long trips.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, do or die said:

Thank goodness, the heroic Russian military was prepared for preemptive action, thanks to extensive training exercises.......against unprovoked aggression from Ukrainian bandits. 

A British military analyst said to day that Putin is down to choosing between losing early and small or late and big. The tide of world opinion and action has swung almost completely to supporting Ukraine and the Russian population seems to be beginning to become restless with Putin. 

In the meantime, Russian generals appear to have given up on a quick easy victory and the fierce resistance have convinced them that taking any of the major Ukrainian cities will be slow and costly, if it can be done at all. So they are resorting to bombarding the cities with aerial bombing, rockets and artillery from  safe, low-casualty (for them) distances. The Ukrainian Turkey-sourced Bayraktar armed drones, anti-armour and anti-aircraft portable weapons have proven to be devastatingly effective. More and more of these are flooding in every day, and Poland is giving all 29 of it's Russian fighter jets to the US in exchange for equivalent NATO-compatible aircraft. The US will doubtless "lend" these to the Ukrainian air force who have been trained on them.

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's just disgusting what this mad man is going to get away with. Ruining history country, sending conscripts to their deaths for no good reason and wantonly bombing civilians.  Putin can go **** himself with a rusty fork.

Yep, there's a reason why my Ukrainian Uncle hated all Russians. He survived the Holdomor but I don't know how many relatives he lost, He was conscripted (forced against his will) & served in the Soviet Army in WW2. He always felt a good Russian was a dead one. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

On youtube their is a guy with a tesla in Regina and he maps out how it handles in winter,  the mileage he gets and overall experiences.     He shows how it handles being started after a night of being left out in -30 weather and how it handles road trips.     It does work very well with the only obvious issue being that the battery during the frigid times in winter usually only get about 60% compared to how it handles in nice weather.    

15 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You're not an ignorant dummy at all. I'd say that's a pretty valid set of questions to ask.

I watched a good report by DW documentary ( German )  on the switch  from fossil fuels.  Part of it was about Norway who has built up a huge slush fund from their North Sea oil . They are now using that fund to move away from fossil fuels. The Gov there is building or at least supporting the building  of charging stations.  They have also removed the sales tax from electric vehicles.  

Meanwhile our oil money has been frittered away.

18 hours ago, WildPath said:

I would think that both Pinaymootang and Grand Rapids would need one for most of the EVs out there. I don't think I would be comfortable attempting Thompson to Winnipeg with Pinaymootang as the first available charging station. That's roughly 550 km without a charge which would definitely push the limits of even the Ultium in the winter time. The F150 lightning would never make it, and most other EVs it would be impossible. Even Grand Rapids to Thompson would be problematic for many EVs in the winter. It is 329 kms and there is nothing between GR and Thompson anymore so a solution to that stretch will be a tough one.

Another tough trip would be the Pas to Thompson, with nothing available for 380km. For many remote and rural areas EV use is just not feasible at this point and time. I'm not even going to get into the many communities that simply cannot support EV charge stations because their hydro grids won't allow for it. Hopefully, some major infrastructure is developed over the next 10-15 years. There are still many communities in the North and Northern Ontario without the 3 phase power capability needed for rapid chargers.

I won't even get into the various hydro companies capability to handle the power increase needed for this. Southern Ontario, for instance, already cannot produce enough energy for current needs. A national power grid would need to be developed and that is realistically 15 years away. maybe more, if Trudeau continues to dither on a national energy plan.

In the US, many electrical companies have already stated that without massive infrastructure and capability upgrades that there is realistically no way they could support the power requirements of everyone driving an EV. Anyone thinking that this rise in gas price expedites EV conversion is dreaming technicolor, the appetite might be there by the people but the world is not ready for it yet. 

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, the watcher said:

I watched a good report by DW documentary ( German )  on the switch  from fossil fuels.  Part of it was about Norway who has built up a huge slush fund from their North Sea oil . They are now using that fund to move away from fossil fuels. The Gov there is building or at least supporting the building  of charging stations.  They have also removed the sales tax from electric vehicles.  

Meanwhile our oil money has been frittered away.

Not just oil money.  This current government has a spending problem and before Trudeau's acolytes try to come to his defence, I will simply advise them to go look at his yearly deficits and ask them where did the money go? I haven't seen it. Doesn't pass the eyeball test to me, and I am far from alone in that belief.

Edited by GCn20