World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

Unfortunately, this tribalism seems to be a core characteristic of many humans. It is far easier to blame someone else for the sorry state of your life than actually do something to lift yourself out of it. On the other hand, there are the obscenely wealthy and powerful who choose to make it difficult for the poorer to reach a decent quality of life. 

Edited by Tracker

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Unfortunately, this tribalism seems to be a core characteristic of many humans. It is far easier to blame someone else for the sorry state of you life than actually do something to lift yourself out of it. On the other hand, there are the obscenely wealthy and powerful who choose to make it difficult for the poorer to reach a decent quality of life. 

agree,

probably worked when there were hundreds of thousands, or a few million people on the planet  armed with bows and arrows.

cant seem to evolve past this.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Mark F said:

agree,

probably worked when there were hundreds of thousands, or a few million people on the planet  armed with bows and arrows.

cant seem to evolve past this.

Can't recall where I read this, but someone said that in all civilizations there is a race between the developing of a social conscience  and the developing of  the means to destroy themselves. This is a sort of bottleneck where civilizations live and thrive or die out, and it seem we are near or at that point now.

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

sort of bottleneck

so, we are our own bottleneck.

was just reading wiki about bottlenecks

genetic analysis of Alu sequences across the entire human genome has shown that the effective human population size was less than 26,000 at 1.2 million years ago; possible explanations for the low population size of human ancestors may include repeated population bottlenecks or periodic replacement events from competing Homo subspecies.[45]

Edited by Mark F

5 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Head of Israeli Human Rights Org puts it succinctly:

Democracy now amy goodman, who is jewish seems to hate Israel. I was a fan, listened tomher for years. not once did I hear a positive comment on her show concerning israel. Her approach to the USA is the same. one twentynyear long whine fest.

anyway, I read the article, he said this: "Yeah. We tried to make a nuanced point there, because often if you make that point, Israel will say, “How dare you compare these two realities? We don’t have laws that say that Palestinians and Israelis cannot sit on the same benches,” for instance. And indeed we don’t. But that’s why the distinction was made there between petty apartheid and grand apartheid"

never heard of petty apartheid, and grand apartheid before. 

I have limited knowledge, but I will guess that israeli arabs, and christians,  have more right than arabs in gaza, and probably most other middle eastern countries. specially women.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/myths-and-facts-human-rights-in-israel-and-the-territories#a

example.

"The Saudi Arabian Mutaween (Arabic: مطوعين‎), or Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (i.e., the religious police) prohibits the practice of any religion other than Islam.[8] Conversion of a Muslim to another religion is considered apostasy,[8] a crime punishable by death if the accused does not recant. "

as far as israel bombing civilians, which I loath, seems to be a a ok in this world. 

and blue2004 always with the useful additions.

look,forward to more enlightenment from him.

Edited by Mark F

50 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Democracy now amy goodman, who is jewish seems to hate Israel. I was a fan, listened tomher for years. not once did I hear a positive comment on her show concerning israel. Her approach to the USA is the same. one twentynyear long whine fest.

anyway, I read the article, he said this: "Yeah. We tried to make a nuanced point there, because often if you make that point, Israel will say, “How dare you compare these two realities? We don’t have laws that say that Palestinians and Israelis cannot sit on the same benches,” for instance. And indeed we don’t. But that’s why the distinction was made there between petty apartheid and grand apartheid"

never heard of petty apartheid, and grand apartheid before. 

From my understanding, apartheid is divided into two parts: petty and grand.

petty apartheid are the obvious ones, the "in your face" White only signs, Blacks can not go to school here and so on. 

Grand Apartheid refers to the systematic restrictions placed on Black people: political power, land rights, law crafting and so forth. 

I have limited knowledge, but I will guess that israeli arabs, and christians,  have more right than arabs in gaza, and probably most other middle eastern countries. specially women.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/myths-and-facts-human-rights-in-israel-and-the-territories#a

example.

"The Saudi Arabian Mutaween (Arabic: مطوعين‎), or Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (i.e., the religious police) prohibits the practice of any religion other than Islam.[8] Conversion of a Muslim to another religion is considered apostasy,[8] a crime punishable by death if the accused does not recant. "

This maybe so, but just because they have more freedom than in more tyrannical and ultra draconian countries doesn't excuse the systemic apartheid-like society. 

as far as israel bombing civilians, which I loath, seems to be a a ok in this world. 

and blue2004 always with the useful additions.

look,forward to more enlightenment from him.

The ******* bombing needs to stop. Rocket firing too. We are in total agreement here. 

I don't know who blue2004 is... has he been commenting in this thread?

Anyways @Mark F, I always look forward to your posts- they are always solid. 

3 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

From my understanding, apartheid is divided into two parts: petty and grand.

petty apartheid are the obvious ones, the "in your face" White only signs, Blacks can not go to school here and so on. 

Grand Apartheid refers to the systematic restrictions placed on Black people: political power, land rights, law crafting and so forth. 

This maybe so, but just because they have more freedom than in more tyrannical and ultra draconian countries doesn't excuse the systemic apartheid-like society. 

The ******* bombing needs to stop. Rocket firing too. We are in total agreement here. 

I don't know who blue2004 is... has he been commenting in this thread?

Anyways @Mark F, I always look forward to your posts- they are always solid. 

He got pissy cause I laughed at him.

I mean he could have at least spelt my name right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The United Arab List would be the first party drawn from the country's 21% Arab minority - Palestinian by heritage, Israeli by citizenship - to join an Israeli government, whose parliamentary approval is still pending. *(I think its done now)

Abbas, 47, has cast aside differences with prime minister-hopeful Naftali Bennett, a former leader of a major Jewish settlement organisation and an advocate of annexing most of the occupied West Bank - land Palestinians seek for a state.

Bennett said any reservations he may have had were allayed as there "was not one nationalist word" in Abbas's demands.

A dentist by profession, Abbas says he hopes to improve conditions for Arab citizens, who complain of discrimination and government neglect.

"We decided to join the government in order to change the balance of political forces in the country," he said in a message to supporters after signing a coalition agreement with Bennett and opposition leader Yair Lapid.

Abbas's party said that the agreement includes the allocation of more than 53 billion shekels ($16 billion) to improve infrastructure and curb violent crime in Arab towns.

The agreement also includes provisions freezing demolition of homes built without permits in Arab villages and granting official status to Bedouin towns in the Negev desert, a stronghold for Islamist support, the party said.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-06-03/arab-islamist-helps-clinch-israels-new-anti-netanyahu-government

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

The United Arab List would be the first party drawn from the country's 21% Arab minority - Palestinian by heritage, Israeli by citizenship - to join an Israeli government, whose parliamentary approval is still pending. *(I think its done now)

Abbas, 47, has cast aside differences with prime minister-hopeful Naftali Bennett, a former leader of a major Jewish settlement organisation and an advocate of annexing most of the occupied West Bank - land Palestinians seek for a state.

Bennett said any reservations he may have had were allayed as there "was not one nationalist word" in Abbas's demands.

A dentist by profession, Abbas says he hopes to improve conditions for Arab citizens, who complain of discrimination and government neglect.

"We decided to join the government in order to change the balance of political forces in the country," he said in a message to supporters after signing a coalition agreement with Bennett and opposition leader Yair Lapid.

Abbas's party said that the agreement includes the allocation of more than 53 billion shekels ($16 billion) to improve infrastructure and curb violent crime in Arab towns.

The agreement also includes provisions freezing demolition of homes built without permits in Arab villages and granting official status to Bedouin towns in the Negev desert, a stronghold for Islamist support, the party said.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-06-03/arab-islamist-helps-clinch-israels-new-anti-netanyahu-government

Sounds promising but we have been there before. These agreements last until one side or the other finds them inconvenient and manufactures an excuse to declare them void. The Oslo Accords, for instance.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/haiti-president-jovenal-moise-shot-killed-1.6092745

Haitian President Jovenel Moise was shot dead by unidentified attackers in his private residence overnight in an "inhuman and barbaric act," interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph said on Wednesday.

Moise's wife was injured and was receiving medical care, Joseph said in a statement.

"The President was injured and succumbed to those injuries," Joseph said in an interview with Radio Caraibes.

With Haiti politically divided, and facing a growing humanitarian crisis and shortages of food, there are fears of widespread disorder.

That violence was fuelled by an increase in poverty and political instability. Moise faced fierce protests since he took office as president in 2017, with the opposition accusing him this year of seeking to install a dictatorship by overstaying his mandate and becoming more authoritarian — charges he denied.

🤣

"An anti-gay Hungarian politician has resigned after being caught by the police fleeing a 25-man orgy through a window"

https://www.businessinsider.com/hungarian-mep-resigns-breaking-covid-rules-gay-orgy-brussels-2020-12

lol this site

https://gayhomophobe.com/

Edited by Mark F