3 stars plus HH banjobowling for fajardo

wbbfan

On 2019-09-08 at 2:17 PM, Floyd said:

Cmon... if Oliviera or Santiago had stepped in and gone for 115 combined yards and then 135 combined yards - everyone would be falling all over themselves to anoint them the heir apparent

Augustine will and should be our backup for the rest of season and should be used to make sure Harris is ready for playoffs

absolutely...4 weeks between games will be great for 33, and we need to keep his touches to a reasonable level as we get ready for playoffs

On 2019-09-09 at 10:52 AM, Noeller said:

Just feels like two generic NI backs. They're "adequate" or "solid" but nothing special. But trust me, I'm Canadian football (and everything else) before American (...anything...)

This. 

On 2019-09-09 at 10:04 AM, 17to85 said:

yeah but as I tried to explain to you on the weekend, they are totally different types of runningbacks. Lafrance is much more of a receiver, as a runner Augustine is actually a lot better.

Id say lafrance is more a balanced offensive back, augustin the better runner, and coombs is a pass catching wing back who runs some. 

On 2019-09-09 at 11:59 AM, Tracker said:

Agreed to some extent. Whereas reading the blocking is taught at the college level, Augustine is not as familiar with the tendencies of the hogs up front as Harris was and that will cause him to pause on occasion. Think of what happens when a member of the O-line is replaced as happened with Speller and Desjarlais. That appeared to throw Harris off a bit. Augustine may not be an all-star but so far he has exceeded expectations.

yes each group has some nuance and time to gel needed, but our run game is pretty vanilla for the rb as well. We dont do a lot of stretch, power toss/sweep, shovel etc. Its the same looks in the same gaps. Vision is tough to quantify, you can see runners that have it and ones that dont. And ive never seen a pro back that didnt have it, find it. I would be fascinated to find out how one did if they did though. 

That wasnt reading the line with harris, the lack of continuity and experience left him with contact in the back field and making plays to get 3 yard gains instead of losing 3.

Traditionally rbs are expected to not be taken down by the first guy, Be it in the back field or down field. After that you cant expect a chain of jukes or trucks, but the first arm cant be what stops you. You can do it with quickness, moves, cuts, speed, angles, power however. Harris has a diverse tool set in that respect. And always pushes forward, he doesnt get contacted and go back. Which is hugely valuable. All 3 of our backs are that type of guy. Which is also very good for the ol.

On 2019-09-09 at 1:23 PM, Adrenaline_x said:

Yes.. Hes doing far better then alot of people thought he would and were sad that harris was out.  There was a drop off with Augustine, but not nearly a much as i think most of us thought there would be . 

The amount of 2nd and longs says other wise. It was a fairly steep drop off. From one of the best in the league, a driving force for our offense to viable. Its not like he was playing at an allstar or borderline allstar level. That said, I think a lot of good and borderline allstar rbs in our system would turn into allstar borderline elite rbs. That what great running offenses do.