Banjo Bowl - GAME DAY THREAD

8 minutes ago, The Ginge said:

And Masoli injured himself for the season falling down by himself in a game. What's your point? Streveler held the ball too long in the LDC and got hit from behind. Could have had the same outcome as the Nichols hit. All depends on where exactly you land when you have a 320 pound man falling on you with all of his weight. Has nothing to do with being "injury prone".

Streveler and Nichols bring different things to the table. I believe that we would have won Banjo Bowl just as easily with Nichols, and likely would have won LDC. I'm glad to see Streveler improving, but he still has a long way to go in the passing game. But would Nichols have been able to make the 20 yard runs (or many of the runs) that Streveler makes? Heck no.

Nichols would have been sacked deep in that first drive and we would have been battling field position for the 1st Q at least... instead strev runs for 20 yards and marches the field. Love it

Edited by Floyd

There's one thing that Nichols brings to the table that Streveler, for all his assets, cannot- experience. You don't get that in film sessions but Streveler's greatest asset may be in his unpredictability, if he can master the RPO approach. At this point, I do not know which one I would want in a Cup game.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There's one thing that Nichols brings to the table that Streveler, for all his assets, cannot- experience. You don't get that in film sessions but Streveler's greatest asset may be in his unpredictability, if he can master the RPO approach. At this point, I do not know which one I would want in a Cup game.

I wonder if it's Matts experience that is messing with his play...... experiencing all them hits and injuries must get into a QB's head at times....

why are we pretending that the guy who has won a **** ton of games for this team over the last few years and this year as well wouldn't have been able to beat the Riders? Just because Streveler ran a bunch doesn't mean that it was the only option available and that Nichols would have been in those exact same situations. 

Both of our QBs have shown themselves capable of winning games. It's a good thing here folks and you don't have to choose just one, you can support both players. 

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

why are we pretending that the guy who has won a **** ton of games for this team over the last few years and this year as well wouldn't have been able to beat the Riders? Just because Streveler ran a bunch doesn't mean that it was the only option available and that Nichols would have been in those exact same situations. 

Both of our QBs have shown themselves capable of winning games. It's a good thing here folks and you don't have to choose just one, you can support both players. 

I think Nichols would have won LDC and not sure about banjo bowl - Lapo called that game for streveler so it’s really hard to say

Just now, Floyd said:

I think Nichols would have won LDC and not sure about banjo bowl - Lapo called that game for streveler so it’s really hard to say

Well, no ****, Sherlock.

Nichols would've won the LDC, a much more difficult game to win, but not the Banjo Bowl (a game he would've started had he been healthy with the offensive gameplan called around his strengths)…? I don't get it.

Neither QB has blown the lid off the stats sheet this season, but they don't have to - at least not yet. This team is winning thanks to its collective efforts across all three phases, IMO.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Nichols would have been sacked deep in that first drive and we would have been battling field position for the 1st Q at least... instead strev runs for 20 yards and marches the field. Love it

Yup, Nichols would not have made that run. And it pumped the team and the crowd up! I did love it! But to say that we would have been battling for field position the 1st quarter doesn't take into account that Sask probably would have played different d on the first play and might not have sacked Nichols. Or that Nichols doesn't make a 17 yard completion. Again, both players bring different things. And if Nichols is healthy and starting, I think we should use Streveler more, especially later in games.

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This. We are 9-3 this year utilizing both qbs. We have good d, good special teams, and a reliable offense that is capable of putting up points. And two quarterbacks who can and have won us games.

11 minutes ago, do or die said:

I support both guys.  Plenty of us are excited by Streveler's athleticism.....and many want to anoint Chris as the Man.   Well, to become the Man....you have to be the Man.   Next few games are going to be interesting, indeed

To become the man you must be a pending free agent... ha

12 minutes ago, Nickthesizz said:

Wow Streveler has one good game and he's a better passer than Nichols. HAHA i've seen it all.

clown.

Who said Streveler is a better passer than Nichols? I must have missed it.

Streveler definitely has upside. He's off to a good start and seems to be getting better. Nichols is who he is at this stage of his career, and injuries/age will lead to regression (if it hasn't already started). That's the opposite of upside.

Saying this is not the same as saying Streveler is a better passer than Nichols.

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

And how many terrible passing games will it take for people to realize that being a better passer than Nichols is an extremely low bar?

he's had one or maybe 2 "poor" passing games this year, and then 7 pretty good ones. His QB efficiency still leads the league at 107+. Just because the offense runs through Harris, doesn't mean Nichols is a bad passer. He's actually had a really good year till getting hurt. Listen, we can all cheer for Strevs and hope for the best without shitting on Nichols or just making stuff up...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Listen, we can all cheer for Strevs and hope for the best without shitting on Nichols or just making stuff up...

Yes indeed. And isn't it nice to be having this conversation about Nichols/Strev when we used to have the same debates about Elliott/Brink/Goltz/Marve et al

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he's had one or maybe 2 "poor" passing games this year, and then 7 pretty good ones. His QB efficiency still leads the league at 107+. Just because the offense runs through Harris, doesn't mean Nichols is a bad passer. He's actually had a really good year till getting hurt. Listen, we can all cheer for Strevs and hope for the best without shitting on Nichols or just making stuff up...

I find the whole “the offence runs through Harris” thing to be a crutch to justify Nichols’ poor play. It’s true that Harris is the number one option but it doesn’t excuse the lack of effectiveness passing the ball. “Good” and “bad” passing games can be subjective but I count three games this season where Nichols was even passable. Sure, being up a ton and not needing to put up massive numbers helps but he was also getting significantly worse as the season went on, which has become a trademark. I don’t subscribe to the fact that because a guy is the team’s QB and the team has been reasonably successful I have to support that player. Years and years of abysmal QB play until Nichols came around has given many of us Stockholm Syndrome with him. 

From Ed Tait's latest piece....

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/09/11/12-12-looking-back-2019-season-date/?fbclid=IwAR3uT28nQbE5npJLVXT_JVVtdgeMcnIVGONYqRD-SbwXzRXrB8SVT0Fytxg

Interestingly, the Bombers lead the league with 33 offensive touchdowns and their 19 passing TDs is second in the CFL only to Toronto’s 20. As well, consider this: Nichols leads the CFL with nine of his 15 passing TDs covering 20 yards or more and the Bombers red zone percentage – 65% (24 of 37) – also ranks first in the league.

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Well, no ****, Sherlock.

Nichols would've won the LDC, a much more difficult game to win, but not the Banjo Bowl (a game he would've started had he been healthy with the offensive gameplan called around his strengths)…? I don't get it.

Neither QB has blown the lid off the stats sheet this season, but they don't have to - at least not yet. This team is winning thanks to its collective efforts across all three phases, IMO.

My point is that Strev played the LDC with a Nichols game plan and almost won - if strev looks good in a couple more games with Lapo planning for his strengths - I wouldn’t go back to Nichols 

I should have spelled it out more clearly I guess

I don't know how we can reasonably compare two quarterbacks on one series of plays. Had Nichols been the QB on the fist series we don't know what his first play would have been. How can we compare his situation to Streveler. Nichols might not have gotten sacked on the first play and could have been 1 and 10, 2 and 5  or with his propensity for throwing the ball away 2 and 10.

Also, Nichols might have completed the two passes to Wolitarsky.  Sometimes I get the feeling our good fortune is not good enough for some. Why go to so much trouble to equate  a raw rookie with an experienced pro? 

I would suggest Nichols is the #1 QB and remains the starter for all games when he returns, what could use an adjustment is the coaching staffs willingness and prompt response to plugging in Streveler to change the dynamic when the offence under Nichols is not getting the job done and is in danger of losing a game.  This may take 2 to 3 Q's to accurately evaluate but there should be no hesitation on their part to recognize the symptoms and make the adjustment.  What this adjustment does not need to carry is the implication that Strev. has over-taken Nichols as the starting QB (at least until the off-season), it should be understood by all as simply another weapon in their arsenal that can help them win football games.  I don't believe this will have to happen all that often because as it stands the Bombers have the best over-all personnel in the league on all 3 sides of the ball and should be equipped to execute well enough to defeat most teams with the original starter.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

10 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Whoa. Easy man. I am not faulting Nicohols for anything- I am just saying: injuries happen, people are always trying to light you up no matter the position on Offence. I think Strev has pretty much the same chance of getting injured sitting in the pocket or running like a running back

Well, thank you for saying that. I was beginning to think some people here were thinking Streveler is invulnerable like Superman. If you look at the CFL every starting qb except Mike Reilly has been injured. I think a lot of those qbs are considered tough. Mike Reilly's time is coming unfortunately, behind that hideous OL.