Banjo Bowl - GAME DAY THREAD

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Streveler, again only 24, just doesn't process the game as fast as Nichols (which Lapo has said is as fast as anyone he's ever coached) so he's not going to make the best decisions.....yet. Hopefully he can grow into it...

If he can process the game so fast that would make it more puzzling why he threw so many out of bounds and dumped so many off to Harris (?) 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Streveler, again only 24, just doesn't process the game as fast as Nichols (which Lapo has said is as fast as anyone he's ever coached) so he's not going to make the best decisions.....yet. Hopefully he can grow into it...

We can only hope he can 1 day learn to throw 2 yard passes to Harris all game. Altho Harris was suspended for 2 games so we will see after the bye. 

Edited by Goalie

I think a lot of people forget that Streveler has less than 10 professional starts since he was in college. Is he better overall than Nichols at this point? Of course not. Does he have potential to be? VERY easily. There will be bumps along the way. He is still an incredibly young QB - See the Edmonton game. But his feet can get him out of trouble, and he's only going to get better when it comes to reading defences, accuracy, and everything else that comes with throwing the football.

Personally, I'll take the facepalm moments that will inevitably happen in the short term, knowing how good this guy can be in a season or two.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

Are you trying to say that you're over Nichols :)

I broke down the stats before...   pre injury Nichols was putting up 250 frequently.... after injury he has not been the same at all. 

To me, jury is still out on Streveler as a passer. When I know he can win us games with his arm then I'll get excited that he's the real deal because then his running will make him dangerous & a huge headache for defensive coordinators. Until then, I'll watch his development with all kinds of interest but withhold judgement as I just don't know. In all my years watching the CFL I've seen a lot of running qbs come & go. Most of them flame out because they've always relied on their running ability first & either couldn't process reading defenses or thought they didn't have to.  I'm not even close to anointing Streveler as Jesus Christ able to walk on water like some have here.

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To me, jury is still out on Streveler as a passer. When I know he can win us games with his arm then I'll get excited that he's the real deal because then his running will make him dangerous & a huge headache for defensive coordinators. Until then, I'll watch his development with all kinds of interest but withhold judgement as I just don't know. In all my years watching the CFL I've seen a lot of running qbs come & go. Most of them flame out because they've always relied on their running ability first & either couldn't process reading defenses or thought they didn't have to.  I'm not even close to anointing Streveler as Jesus Christ able to walk on water like some have here.

Right now today I am not so much thinking about Strevelers  future years as a QB,   as I am thinking more about can he get er done this year,  cause I think the Bombers have a better chance right now to win it all with Big Chris much more than with manager Matty. 

5 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Right now today I am not so much thinking about Strevelers  future years as a QB,   as I am thinking more about can he get er done this year,  cause I think the Bombers have a better chance right now to win it all with Big Chris much more than with manager Matty. 

Well, that's good you feel that way but right now I don't share that view. Do you have any idea how physically tough it's going to be for Streveler to maintain that pace over the remainder of the season & playoffs let alone win the Grey Cup? He won't win games with his arm so he has to win with his legs. It is going to be extremely difficult to do that. He is going to get beat up.  Streveler is not indestructible. All it takes is one hard shot & he's out just like any other player He's opening himself up to get hurt with his style of play. That run play he made where he broke a bunch of tackles was great but realistically how many of those can he do before it takes its toll? That's my concern with him. Longevity.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, that's good you feel that way but right now I don't share that view. Do you have any idea how physically tough it's going to be for Streveler to maintain that pace over the remainder of the season & playoffs let alone win the Grey Cup? He won't win games with his arm so he has to win with his legs. It is going to be extremely difficult to do that. He is going to get beat up.  Streveler is not indestructible. All it takes is one hard shot & he's out just like any other player He's opening himself up to get hurt with his style of play. That run play he made where he broke a bunch of tackles was great but realistically how many of those can he do before it takes its toll? That's my concern with him. Longevity.

It won't take him long to learn to hook slide sooner ,  or run out of bounds once he has the yards he wants running.... both things that will prolong his time in the game.... . Plus many have already stated he is smart so he should get the first two things I just mentioned pretty quick..... also many have posted about seeing the improvements in his passing the last couple of games ( all though I might not call them improvements,  I would say he could always pass like that we just haven't seen him do it yet ).... ...so for me all this upside talk about the current qb is giving me way more hope then the posts I was reading when matt was playing.....

BUT,  once Nichols is healthy I have no problem cheering for him when he starts again..... he just better be exciting and get er done.  

23 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Of course you are going to say that you hate Nichols and have since last season.   

Just now, Brandon said:

Of course you are going to say that you hate Nichols and have since last season.   

Honestly,  I don't hate Nichols.  I will admit I am not a fan, but I don't hate the player or the person.  

And just to add..... when I was raising my kids one said they hated somebody at supper one night..... it was there an then me an the wife put a stop to our kids,  "hating" people,  and directed them another way.

4 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

It's  not his fault.....but some guys can just take a tackle better than others...... I learned that myself during elementary school recesses. 

No no no silly. 

I am just illustrating that things happen. Look at how many shots Andrew Harris takes... How often is he out with an injury? Look at Nichols... I thonk he has missed more games than Harris and doesn't take nearly the same amount of punishment.

Let Strevs do his thing.

44 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No no no silly. 

I am just illustrating that things happen. Look at how many shots Andrew Harris takes... How often is he out with an injury? Look at Nichols... I thonk he has missed more games than Harris and doesn't take nearly the same amount of punishment.

Let Strevs do his thing.

Maybe you should criticize the blocking on that play instead of Nichols. I mean, if it was Streveler who got hurt that's the first thing you'd say.  Where was the blocking?????? You & Skunk are such keyboard warriors that it's hilarious.  Calling out Nichols as soft.  SMH.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe you should criticize the blocking on that play instead of Nichols. I mean, if it was Streveler who got hurt that's the first thing you'd say.  Where was the blocking?????? You & Skunk are such keyboard warriors that it's hilarious.  Calling out Nichols as soft.  SMH.

I mean.. If we are being honest... Nichols hurt himself last year falling down by himself in practice. U should watch the play again.. Nichols held on to the ball 2 long. Hes injury prone. It is what it is and hes def regressed since injuring himself. 

Edited by Goalie

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Whoa. Easy man. I am not faulting Nicohols for anything- I am just saying: injuries happen, people are always trying to light you up no matter the position on Offence. I think Strev has pretty much the same chance of getting injured sitting in the pocket or running like a running back

It’s very clearly debatable. Do you truly believe there’s any chance on earth we win the Banjo Bowl with Nichols at QB when he doesn’t have Harris there to rely on? Streveler had minimal weapons and still moved the ball and got the job done. Streveler may not look the part, but to say he’s easily worse than Nichols is keeping your head in the sand. It’s no coincidence that a guy like Nichols gets worse as the season goes on and Streveler is getting better each start. And he’s actually moving the ball late games which is something Nichols wasn’t doing even at his “best” this season. 

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

I mean.. If we are being honest... Nichols hurt himself last year falling down by himself in practice. U should watch the play again.. Nichols held on to the ball 2 long. Hes injury prone. It is what it is and hes def regressed since injuring himself. 

And Masoli injured himself for the season falling down by himself in a game. What's your point? Streveler held the ball too long in the LDC and got hit from behind. Could have had the same outcome as the Nichols hit. All depends on where exactly you land when you have a 320 pound man falling on you with all of his weight. Has nothing to do with being "injury prone".

Streveler and Nichols bring different things to the table. I believe that we would have won Banjo Bowl just as easily with Nichols, and likely would have won LDC. I'm glad to see Streveler improving, but he still has a long way to go in the passing game. But would Nichols have been able to make the 20 yard runs (or many of the runs) that Streveler makes? Heck no.