Banjo Bowl - GAME DAY THREAD

8 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Yeh that one is funny.... I don't think too many of rod blacks nicknames ever stick at the players level though do they ?

No, thankfully they don't. I'm still shocked he's never referred to Sinopoli (88) as "Piano Man".

Edited by Deiter Fan

50 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

When a guy runs for 9 yards and Black says he ran for 5 or 6...or when a player is downed on the 25yd line and Black says he's down at the 15 he is totally crapping the bed re: his job description.

Was going to say the same. Black still has a few good moments now and then, but yesterday some of his descriptions were cringe-worthy. Not sure why he seems to have so much trouble with the yardage. I rarely notice that with other PBP announcers. A couple weeks back, there was the Edmonton field goal right down main street... but wide. And yesterday Ryan was supposedly angling his punt toward the sideline, yet it was caught smack dab between the hash marks. Maybe an eye exam is in order.

7 minutes ago, Starman115 said:

Was going to say the same. Black still has a few good moments now and then, but yesterday some of his descriptions were cringe-worthy. Not sure why he seems to have so much trouble with the yardage. I rarely notice that with other PBP announcers. A couple weeks back, there was the Edmonton field goal right down main street... but wide. And yesterday Ryan was supposedly angling his punt toward the sideline, yet it was caught smack dab between the hash marks. Maybe an eye exam is in order.

My confused reaction is directed at Black not your comment...with which I agree completely :)

When Jack Wells was working the CJOB broadcasts for the Bombers back in the mid 70's, the Argos had a linebacker named Sam Cvijanovicz. The guy was a good player & he played a few seasons for Toronto. No matter how hard he tried Cactus could not say his last name (pronounced See-yan-ovitch). So, he started calling him Sam Alphabet. Somehow, the Toronto media picked up on it & the nickname stuck. Sam Alphabet.

Ol' Don Whitman used to have a hell of a time with Joe Poplawski. Popalotski seemed to be his go to.

My all time favourite has become Suitor's call on a Whitehead run this year. Whitehouse...Whiteout...Then another, can't remember what it was...Whitehorse, maybe...then Whitehead. Cuthbert must have been howling in the booth

3 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Dunigan is the one Bomber's homer. 

But he's played for half the team's in the league so dude just has energy and loves the CFL. 

I think he hates the Riders tbh lol

ha yeah Matt insisted on telling the entire Banjo Bowl story, even with Rod continually saying "we don't need to repeat what Westwood said" and interrupting as Matt was trying to tell the story.  Matt just kept going, including correcting Black when he said that Westwood had recanted his banjo-pickin' inbred comment, by saying "yeah, he said that 80% of the people in Saskatchewan can't play the banjo!!"  Ha ha ha I was loving that.  You know Suits wouldn't ever go there.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When Jack Wells was working the CJOB broadcasts for the Bombers back in the mid 70's, the Argos had a linebacker named Sam Cvijanovicz. The guy was a good player & he played a few seasons for Toronto. No matter how hard he tried Cactus could not say his last name (pronounced See-yan-ovitch). So, he started calling him Sam Alphabet. Somehow, the Toronto media picked up on it & the nickname stuck. Sam Alphabet.

I remember Cactus saying, “there’s Rick Shaw. The only Japanese player in the CFL”. 

On 2019-09-07 at 11:44 PM, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Quote from wearestupidriderfans.com 

"I realize you are a banned bummer troll who can not respond but you have to remember we are missing six of our starting offense (Left Tackle, two best guards in the CFL, starting Canadian fullback (Lavoie ) and starting Canadian slot (Watson) as well as one of the best interior DL in the league. The bummers were in far better shape than the Riders. Missing juicer Harris should not be that big of a deal as one would thinking he is not that dense to continue juicing this year so he is was not that big of a loss. Streveler or Nichols is a toss up.
Are you Booch the ******?!?"

ummmm...how are the Bombers in far better shape missing their starting QB, starting RB and best RB in the league, back up RB, one of the best DEs in the league in Jeffcoat, starting long snapper, starting WR and kick returner Whitehead, several starting canadians on the OL not to mention Alexander and Briggs......

I'll give it to him that both teams are on their back up QB although what CF has done is likely 100 times1better than what ZC would have done but that's about it. If Watson is a loss at WR that show how thin they are with depth.and who are the "best guards in the league"??? Cofield and Blake?!?

This is the dumbest crap ever. 

Demski, speller, mason, lucky, Alexander, humes, jeffcoat, Neuf, Nichols and harris. Plus our starting kick returner in nelson, Plus remple our LS , and our no2 rb in olivera. Thats 11 guys who would have started. No one is that hurt right now. 

26 minutes ago, Saidin said:

One thing of note, if Fajardo didn't do that spin move on us so many times, he'd be on his ass much more that game.  That one sack by Hecht he played it perfect.  Shaded him to the right so if he spun he'd spin right into him.  

You know what, one of the spin moves was on Hecht, so he learned, another was on Hansen who is such a raw player. I didn't see guys like Roh or Jefferson falling for that crap. 

I find it absolutely hilarious that rider fans are so happy with Fajardo. That's a big time flawed qb with no arm for deep throws. Teams are gonna figure him out hard. 

26 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I see on RF.com they think we have artificial noise.

Sorry, that is just a much louder fan base you are experiencing.

Also, we don't need a guy telling us to make noise every down on defence and using a matching band up until the ball is snapped.

Delusional 

a lot of this stuff about the crowds goes back to my long-held belief that we actually have more die-hard fans who are intelligent football fans. They definitely have a lot more "casual" fans that buy all the green gear because it's trendy to do so, but in terms of the true die-hards, who stick around through thick and thin, I really and truly believe we have a lot more of those. They don't need to be told when to make noise and when NOT TO make noise....they just understand football.