Chris Streveler - Has your opinion changed?

B-F-F-C

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

They did not, they beat Calgary the week after the loss to Argos

I got it bass-ackwards. The Bombers played poorly against the TiCats and followed that up with a dreadful game against the Argos. The scenario was correct but the sequence was wrong. The game this Saturday is still critical.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I got it bass-ackwards. The Bombers played poorly against the TiCats and followed that up with a dreadful game against the Argos. The scenario was correct but the sequence was wrong. The game this Saturday is still critical.

it wasn't a dreadful game against the Argos, it was a dreadful half a game. Don't forget that they did jump out to a big lead in the first half. It was just the passive coaching that cost them. Ritchie Hall and his prevent defense are responsible for 2 losses this year. Sask and Toronto. gave up big long time killing drives in the final moments to lose a lead. 

29 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

it wasn't a dreadful game against the Argos, it was a dreadful half a game. Don't forget that they did jump out to a big lead in the first half. It was just the passive coaching that cost them. Ritchie Hall and his prevent defense are responsible for 2 losses this year. Sask and Toronto. gave up big long time killing drives in the final moments to lose a lead. 

Don't forget in the TO game......the "playsafe" O, when we had the lead

3 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If Streveler plays as good or better than Nichols has.... do you think Nichols would be happy backing up Chris next year ?

Not a chance...

I think he would really have to step up in order for him to win the job though.   At his current level /  stats it will not be good enough for him to win out the job here or anywhere else.   

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Ritchie Hall and his prevent defense are responsible for 2 losses this year.

Someone said they had Willie Jefferson playing linebacker on the game losing drive, is this true if so, why the hell would they do that?

And  why doesn't O'Shea tell him to ditch the prevent (winning) defence?

Not disagreeing with you, I just wonder about why O'Shea goes along with it. He's the boss.

Edited by Mark F

13 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Someone said they had Willie Jefferson playing linebacker on the game losing drive, is this true if so, why the hell would they do that?

And  why doesn't O'Shea tell him to ditch the prevent (winning) defence?

Not disagreeing with you, I just wonder about why O'Shea goes along with it. He's the boss.

well he's employed 2 defensive coordinators in his time here who both like the bend don't break D. I would guess that's why he is OK with it. You can justify it as "well they didn't make the plays to get the stop" but that's just a cop out. 

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

To be fair.. Several missed tackles and Bighill invisible. 

I re-watched the last drive a few times focusing on Bighill and he was either dropping back into coverage 10-15 yds. or he was up on the line rushing the QB,.  No matter what he did he ended up in the wrong position, he would have been better off standing his ground and pretending to play LB.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I re-watched the last drive a few times focusing on Bighill and he was either dropping back into coverage 10-15 yds. or he was up on the line rushing the QB,.  No matter what he did he ended up in the wrong position, he would have been better off standing his ground and pretending to play LB.

first time watching Ritchie Hall call a D? either blitz or drop way back, that happens all the time with him. He gives up the short underneath passes by design. 

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

could have, but at the very end it came down to a defensive stop that didn't happen because Ritchie Hall has this prevent D that he's had for ever and the same **** happens. 

Well.. When the offence finished the last three drives going 2 and out, its hard to put that on the defence, when the offence failed to run the clock out. 

You either blame both or neither. 

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Well.. When the offence finished the last three drives going 2 and out, its hard to put that on the defence, when the offence failed to run the clock out. 

You either blame both or neither. 

I blame everyone. Including you!

And the CBC! Cause I want a game where Walby does the pbp. If he was calling it Sunday. They would have won!

13 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

But the offense did score, getting the go-ahead major with just under four minutes left in the 4th. The defense then let the Riders' offense march down the field 87 yards to get in range for the winning FG.

Why are you deflecting?

I don’t see it as deflecting....you want to break the game down into incremental parts and individual plays. The game is the sum of all the parts and all the plays and components O D and ST. Any coach will tell you that no singular play or series can be examined and be responsible for the eventual result.  60 minutes....85 to 100 plays and the cumulative affect is the resultant score. Blame who you want hate who you want fire who you want....it isn’t that simple.

My old pal Rod Hill would always say in a league where you have 3 downs to make 10yds make a team but together a 15 play drive to beat you rather than gamble and give up huge offensive plays. He said if you break down film over the course of a game there are very few 15 play drives. The result is usually a 2 or 3 and out or a turnover.

3 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I don’t see it as deflecting....you want to break the game down into incremental parts and individual plays. The game is the sum of all the parts and all the plays and components O D and ST. Any coach will tell you that no singular play or series can be examined and be responsible for the eventual result.  60 minutes....85 to 100 plays and the cumulative affect is the resultant score. Blame who you want hate who you want fire who you want....it isn’t that simple.

True....but in that game to close out the 2nd quarter there was a series of plays, resulting in basically a 6 point swing where you could say the game was lost...and essentially was due to a ticky tack hold...and a non hold...around the 3:25 mark Streveler had a nice QB keeper...had us in field goal range but was called back for a hold on Gray.

Now go watch it if you have it PVR'd..He was drive blocking..square on the DT basically with a pretty standard block you see all game..hands inside the shoulders...not off to the side...didn't pull guy anyway whatsoever..just continued his block and pushed the DT back...standard stuff...but took us out of range and we punted.

Then on the Sask drive...around 2:25 or so when they missed that deep shot to Moore...you can hear "hold" being yelled...but no call....re-watch it...Biggie is blitzing...Right Tackle grabs him and basically tackles/pulls him to the ground..right in plain view of 2 officials...text book hold which is always called....but nope....would have pushed them back...made it 1st and 20 and good chance we make them punt before they stalled in FG range and got their 16th point..now how was that not called?...it was an edge play and not obstructed, and was a focal part of the play too as being a blitz hard not to watch that part of the line.

The funny part was Doofus Suitor's narrative about that..and what went on as he commented on the hold being vocalized on the field.

If's and's or but's be damned...that was a pretty critical series of events that played a major role in games out come