Chris Streveler - Has your opinion changed?

B-F-F-C

Colin with a great post earlier. Thank you.

1) I usually feel that Lapo takes it on the chin here in ways that often don't make a lot of sense to me...BUT, I have to admit that I was quite mystified by the fact we didn't try to establish the run early or get Strev rolling out given his strengths and current limitations.

2) Overall, Strev is developing just fine; weird throwing motion aside, I still feel he likely has a higher ceiling (maybe significantly higher) than Nichols.

3) Specifically, loved his ability to hang on to the ball when blasted inside our 5-yard line; amazed he didn't fumble which would have led to 7 pts for Sask.

4) Also loved his ability to lead us on what should have been a game-winning drive late. Nichols has struggled with that by comparison in recent seasons.

5) That said, I am not smart enough to assess how Nichols would have done overall in that game, nor do I feel the need to slag him in comparison to Strev. Seems to me that his passing is, right now, more effective than Strev's, esp the deep ball, but Strev is a lot younger and needs time to develop and he will if the Bombers give him the chance. As Colin observes, Nichols has also been very good at protecting the ball (not throwing picks) and not making mistakes like the intentional grounding. That said, Strev will learn from those missteps, I think, and should close the gap in those areas over time.

6) Finally, I am old enough to remember how the Eskimos handled the emergence of Warren Moon as an understudy to Tom Wilkinson. They shared playing time, more and more, until Moon eventually took over. I think O'Shea needs to be less hesitant to use the hook with Nichols when - after 3 quarters - he is clearly struggling. That has also continued to be mystifying.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

Lots of great posts here. In answer to the question, has my opinion change? Not really. I think Streveler has potential, but not 100% convinced he's going to evolve into a top tier CFL starter. My fears about him bolting to the NFL quickly have been diminished. He's not ready.

I don't think Nichols is a QB I'd want to extend for more money. LaPo definitely hinders any QB we have. And, if I were Kyle Walters, I wouldn't be sitting back comfortably about my QB situation going into 2020. I'd be considering any and all options - McGuire, Streveler, free agent, NFL cut, trade ... 

HEe needs reps and experience....he actually sits in pocket way better than last year already...and once he gets used to coverages..and reads...he will get even better...he gets antsy at times, but thats because he is seeing things a lot of times for first time...so isn't processing right away and is still thinking...he gets more time under center..the thinking will dissappear, and it will be reaction and instructive execution taking over..it takes time , and it's not as advanced as we would have liked to date, but it's also because he hasn't been allowed to do this until....now

All his appearances up to last week he has been in on stupid gimmickey stuff, and limited play selection...what would you expect about his pocket awareness having no real work in the pocket to go through reads?

My opinion of Streveler hasn't changed.  I thought he was good before now and still do. Hope we can keep him in Blue & Gold because he is only going to get better as he gets more game speed reps. Although I don't know why we keep him in the pocket. Give him different launch points, let him throw from the sprint. That'll help the receivers too. Strev didn't get much time to throw vs Sask. The straight drop back is for QBs such as Nichols who can't run as effectively.  And that's a problem when your O line isn't giving you steamboats in the pocket.

Streveler is doing just fine....His strengths are running , obviously, but also his durability and toughness...If Nichols would have taken that shot deep in our end I'm sure he'd be in the infirmary now....Streve is one tough s.o.b. and can only get better...I like where he's going and each game out he'll get better and better...Which brings me to something I noticed yesterday and a little off topic BUT did anyone notice the protection Bo Levi gets...I don't think an Edm. player got close to him all game...extreme protection...Can't say the same for our qbs....especially after witnessing the hit Chris took on our 5 yd. line....We can't let O Line errors take out another qb. or we're toast

1 hour ago, Booch said:

lay blame where it belongs...right at Lapo's feet...the game was lost in first quarter with his "i'm smarter than all and will trick everyone" schtick and pound Streveler (round peg) into a square hole (pocket passer)

Right off the bat I recognized what LaPo was doing. Without so much as a fake handoff, he thinks “so, they’re expecting us to use our strength and run the ball eh? Well , I’ll show them”  And they didn’t run. No up tempo. No smash them one, two, with both Streveler and Augustine. Just play right into Saskatchewan’s hands and our weakness. 

I was not impressed.

I'm confident that Streveler will continue to develop as he gets more game time.    The number one asset for all QB's is the ability to read a defense.   That only comes with experience.   Running a full offensive package is quite different that a limited "change of pace" package that he usually comes in with.     It took great QB's like Flutie and Calvillo  several seasons to reach their potential, neither were good right off the hop.

30 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Which brings me to something I noticed yesterday and a little off topic BUT did anyone notice the protection Bo Levi gets...I don't think an Edm. player got close to him all game...extreme protection...Can't say the same for our qbs....especially after witnessing the hit Chris took on our 5 yd. line....We can't let O Line errors take out another qb. or we're toast

The Stamps O-line was impressive, especially against the Esks. D-line who give everybody fits.  The Bomber O-line has gone from top of the pack to middlin' this year, here's hoping Neufeld is back soon, stays healthy and can finish out the season.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

he needs time..and reps...and the "right" coaching and system geared toward him...

based on scouting reviews  Streveler is darn mobile and a dangerous runner... very effective on QB draws, boots and picking up chunky gains from a broken pocket... not a creative runner, but very effective... rushed for over 1500 yards and scored 20 ground TDs combined last 2 seasons... makes a terrific RPO pro prospect but needs quality NFL QB coaching... a good coach can create a winner here using that lightning release and athletic make-up.

now obviously if Lapo is as good as people claim...he can do this, and create it....so far he seems to be struggling with this...Christ Streveler ripped off a 4.40 forty time at his pro day and to not use that on options..roll out plays and bootlegs to have defenses needing to either cave in on him...or stay back in coverage allowing big runs is baffling...keeping him within the hashes is just plain for a lack of a better word...dumb

1 hour ago, Booch said:

HEe needs reps and experience....he actually sits in pocket way better than last year already...and once he gets used to coverages..and reads...he will get even better...he gets antsy at times, but thats because he is seeing things a lot of times for first time...so isn't processing right away and is still thinking...he gets more time under center..the thinking will dissappear, and it will be reaction and instructive execution taking over..it takes time , and it's not as advanced as we would have liked to date, but it's also because he hasn't been allowed to do this until....now

All his appearances up to last week he has been in on stupid gimmickey stuff, and limited play selection...what would you expect about his pocket awareness having no real work in the pocket to go through reads?

He particularly had 2 plays where he stepped up into the pocket and threw the ball down field with poise and authority it was a really great sign that he can turn the corner as a pro passer. He isnt a No1 guy yet, and doesnt have to be at his age. Id be happy if he was a no2 next year too. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

he needs time..and reps...and the "right" coaching and system geared toward him...

based on scouting reviews  Streveler is darn mobile and a dangerous runner... very effective on QB draws, boots and picking up chunky gains from a broken pocket... not a creative runner, but very effective... rushed for over 1500 yards and scored 20 ground TDs combined last 2 seasons... makes a terrific RPO pro prospect but needs quality NFL QB coaching... a good coach can create a winner here using that lightning release and athletic make-up.

now obviously if Lapo is as good as people claim...he can do this, and create it....so far he seems to be struggling with this...Christ Streveler ripped off a 4.40 forty time at his pro day and to not use that on options..roll out plays and bootlegs to have defenses needing to either cave in on him...or stay back in coverage allowing big runs is baffling...keeping him within the hashes is just plain for a lack of a better word...dumb

Who is the model for Streveler to follow?  Masoli, Reilly, Buck, a young Collaros?  Unfortunately the only resemblance I see is LeFevour. and that's mainly because LaPo has forced him into that mold.

Streveler is fine, Lapo is the problem here. That game plan to start the game was abysmal. That's the knd of stuff you give to Nichols not Streveler. 

Lapo wasting the first quarter before starting to call proper plays and Ritchie Hall and his give up D at the end are what caused the loss. That Sask team is as garbage as I thought they were, but our idiot coordinators gave it away. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Streveler is fine, Lapo is the problem here. That game plan to start the game was abysmal. That's the knd of stuff you give to Nichols not Streveler. 

Lapo wasting the first quarter before starting to call proper plays and Ritchie Hall and his give up D at the end are what caused the loss. That Sask team is as garbage as I thought they were, but our idiot coordinators gave it away. 

Holding an opponent to 19 points should result in a win in the CFL....especially given you have turned over the ball inside your 50 yd line twice, early in the game with little damage. Garbage offence results in over taxing the demand on the defence. We constantly rely on the defence to not only create turnovers but to score as well.  

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Who is the model for Streveler to follow?  Masoli, Reilly, Buck, a young Collaros?  Unfortunately the only resemblance I see is LeFevour. and that's mainly because LaPo has forced him into that mold.

Thing is you don't need a model...maybe early Reilly but with that skillset...you utilize it...having him static in the pocket is a waste...you move him around...have him do things on the run, and in diffeent launch points....his run threat will open open the passing for him...as of right now, we aren't allowing that..we basically have him working between the tackles and the runs he does get, or when he has to take off, he is doing it through traffic...getting yards...but tough ones.

If he's play actioning and getting outside he holds the guys in the box for that crucial split second or two...and has room to navigate...and it' becomes a pick your poison for the DB's and or sam..stay back...he runs...close in..tosses over their heads...and as Geebr said...following this script at first...and varying i the pocket..out of the pocket will eventually transform him into a guy with pocket presence...

They spent so much of the game throwing short screen passes, but the most effective ones were receivers crossing the middle or slants. Why not do that and see what streveler can do, seems to be his best throws. Hell that's pretty much exclusively what the Riders are doing with Fajardo and he's a worse passer than Streveler. 

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Holding an opponent to 19 points should result in a win in the CFL....especially given you have turned over the ball inside your 50 yd line twice, early in the game with little damage. Garbage offence results in over taxing the demand on the defence. We constantly rely on the defence to not only create turnovers but to score as well.  

Do u actually watch the games? If you did you would likely realize that even with Nichols and Harris our O rarely puts up over 20 points... The only time we put up points is when the D or Sp Tms score TDs. 

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Do u actually watch the games? If you did you would likely realize that even with Nichols and Harris our O rarely puts up over 20 points... The only time we put up points is when the D or Sp Tms score TDs. 

i dunno about that...even after this weekend we still lead the league in offensive TD's scored with 29 (tied with Ham) and are again tied with HAM for total TD's with 35...tells me that our offence scores TD's just fine...does it not??

and based on offensive points scored (280) and games played (11) thats 25.5 offensive points scored per game...no?

Edited by Booch