Chris Streveler - Has your opinion changed?

B-F-F-C

I think he mostly gives the team a similar opportunity to win as Nichols.  He needs to learn from his mistakes and and think he will.  He was playing against two of the top pass rushes in the league and I'm not convinced that our offensive line is good enough in a pass blocking capacity right now. We are awfully young at the two guard positions. He has shown in both starts that when the game is on the line he's capable of putting the team on his shoulders and willing a touchdown drive.  He put Edmonton away with one last week and he put the team up on the scoreboard on his last drive this week. I think that his accuracy is something that can be worked with and his ability to read defenses will improve with time. He's just really lacking experience.  I mean.. A guy like Cody Fajardo spent 4 years in the CFL/NFL learning before being thrust into action. Streveler is still just one year out of college. Some of the accuracy issues I think are more related to the lack of decisiveness on a certain read rather than a lack of accuracy. His biggest strength is his running ability which is beyond anything i've seen in this league. But that also holds him back a bit because he just doesn't get the passing reps that a guy like Dane Evans would get each game. Probably will take him twice as long to make all the mistakes and see all the things that they are going to throw at you and learn from them.   But we gotta keep in mind that Nichols was't passing for 300 yards a game in this offense either.  If Streveler passes for 175 and provides his running ability that's pretty much equaling what Nichols was providing IMO.  He's be more aware of when we get into field goal range we don't throw a pick and we don't take a huge intentional grounding call.  Those small details are where Nichols excels and wins games. 

Nichols wins game cuz the D or Special Teams score TDs also. Surprise surprise they didn't yesterday and we lost. 

I feel im watching diff games then some ppl this year...

Nichols O leads league in 2 n outs.. Lowest passing yards per game.. No receiver on pace for 1000 yards.  

Why ppl pretending the O is winning games? 

Edited by Goalie

I think Streveler is so far coming along just fine. We knew there were going to be more ups and downs than with Nichols. Whereas Nichols is consistently mediocre, Streveler right now fluctuates more between good and bad. I think when he's given time in the pocket, he does just fine passing the ball - we need to give him a better chance to succeed. Our protection has become a major issue lately.  I honestly think if Nichols had played we would have been blown out. Sure he won't throw the interceptions, but he will also take way more sacks.

Streveler is easily the best chance we have right now of developing a good QB. I'm more than willing to see how this plays out.

Also: LaPo gotta go. Watching literally every other CFL team have more pass success despite worse talent, its hard not to think we could sub in Generic CFL Playbook and get more production than from LaPolice's gameplan.

10 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I think Streveler is so far coming along just fine. We knew there were going to be more ups and downs than with Nichols. Whereas Nichols is consistently mediocre, Streveler right now fluctuates more between good and bad. I think when he's given time in the pocket, he does just fine passing the ball - we need to give him a better chance to succeed. Our protection has become a major issue lately.  I honestly think if Nichols had played we would have been blown out. Sure he won't throw the interceptions, but he will also take way more sacks.

Streveler is easily the best chance we have right now of developing a good QB. I'm more than willing to see how this plays out.

Also: LaPo gotta go. Watching literally every other CFL team have more pass success despite worse talent, its hard not to think we could sub in Generic CFL Playbook and get more production than from LaPolice's gameplan.

Toronto already hired Chapdelaine.

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I think he mostly gives the team a similar opportunity to win as Nichols.  He needs to learn from his mistakes and and think he will.  He was playing against two of the top pass rushes in the league and I'm not convinced that our offensive line is good enough in a pass blocking capacity right now. We are awfully young at the two guard positions. He has shown in both starts that when the game is on the line he's capable of putting the team on his shoulders and willing a touchdown drive.  He put Edmonton away with one last week and he put the team up on the scoreboard on his last drive this week. I think that his accuracy is something that can be worked with and his ability to read defenses will improve with time. He's just really lacking experience.  I mean.. A guy like Cody Fajardo spent 4 years in the CFL/NFL learning before being thrust into action. Streveler is still just one year out of college. Some of the accuracy issues I think are more related to the lack of decisiveness on a certain read rather than a lack of accuracy. His biggest strength is his running ability which is beyond anything i've seen in this league. But that also holds him back a bit because he just doesn't get the passing reps that a guy like Dane Evans would get each game. Probably will take him twice as long to make all the mistakes and see all the things that they are going to throw at you and learn from them.   But we gotta keep in mind that Nichols was't passing for 300 yards a game in this offense either.  If Streveler passes for 175 and provides his running ability that's pretty much equaling what Nichols was providing IMO.  He's be more aware of when we get into field goal range we don't throw a pick and we don't take a huge intentional grounding call.  Those small details are where Nichols excels and wins games. 

Quality post Colin. I liked the point about our pass blocking. Young o-line in the middle and an injured Hardrick, not to mention the experience of Andrew Harris blocking... And you can kind of see what's been going on. Makes total sense. Nichols would have been blasted behind the pass blocking streveler has been getting

11 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

We already have seen what this team's all about. We've beaten Edm twice and Calgary once already.

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

And went into LD and lost by 2 without Harris and Nichols.

And we lost the lowly 1 win Argos(that one win being... us FFS)...   and a thrown into the fire back up QB for three quarters in the Ticats... 

So high and do low.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The intentional grounding call didn’t factor in the game because they declined a holding call against us on the same play. 

Same result, different penalty.

It did though. The intentional grounding cost the team 4 additional yards and an extra down.  This pushed the team to the brink of field goal range and then on second down we lost additional yards on a run play.

I mean we don’t really know what would have happened had we got the holding call instead but let’s face it there’s a reason why they declined the holding and took the intentional grounding call. 

Edited by Colin Unger

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

LaPolice’s treats his playbook like fan boards use his name. Most of it is not used.

Right LaPo..

Agreed.  Lapo needs to open up the play book.  75 plays in a CFL game.  We shouldn't see the same play 5 as many times as we do.  

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

LaPolice’s treats his playbook like fan boards use his name. Most of it is not used.

Right LaPo..

Sounds so like 2018 riders

I just pictured Mcadoo in the booth, about 1/2 way thru the 3rd quarter of week 16 looking up and going " wait a minute, this book opens up?  What's all this other stuff ?" 

lay blame where it belongs...right at Lapo's feet...the game was lost in first quarter with his "i'm smarter than all and will trick everyone" schtick and pound Streveler (round peg) into a square hole (pocket passer)

What that was all about was mind boggling...first 2 series...not even a hint of run..allow SASK to get momentum and pin ears back and stifle us...total crap

You allow Strev to do what he does, and gradually massage in new wrinkles and do things from the pocket...thats when you outsmart people and catch them off guard..