Chris Streveler - Has your opinion changed?

B-F-F-C

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I saw Strev moving the ball and getting first downs, even owning the TOP for a while. My opinion was that he is a greater threat to move the chains and that has only been reinforced. There were plays where Strev made something out of nothing where, at best, Nichols would have thrown the ball out of bounds if he wasn't clobbered first. I expect Strev will only get better. If he played the first Q the way he played the rest of the game...

Yeah we were down 5 minutes in TOP after the 1st Q and ended up winning the TOP by about 5 minutes by the end of the game.

Just now, AKAChip said:

Yeah, I mean there’s no way to prove it but there’s really no way Nichols fares any better than Streveler yesterday. Likely far worse since without Harris as a blocker, Nichols likely takes double the sacks Streveler did. 

He certainly doesn't escape from multiple blitzes or puts up 65 yards running. 

3 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Yeah, I mean there’s no way to prove it but there’s really no way Nichols fares any better than Streveler yesterday. Likely far worse since without Harris as a blocker, Nichols likely takes double the sacks Streveler did. 

Well and easier to tee off on Nichols because you don't have to defend the chance of him taking off.  The chances of Augustine busting off that big run without the D freezing to make sure Streveler wasn't going to run around the right edge aren't very good.

6 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Needs to work on his passing game but that will come with experience.  I see potential to develop into a good CFL QB.

This has been said about him for years all you have to do is read his scouting reports. If he hasn't improved since then.  Do you think it'll ever will?

1 minute ago, B-F-F-C said:

This has been said about him for years all you have to do is read his scouting reports. If he hasn't improved since then.  Do you think it'll ever will?

Our starter routinely throws for less than 200 yards. I mean.. 160 plus 65 plus running is more. I don't get the passing thing.. In this current O scheme we arent putting up 500 yards passing.

If you take out the first quarter, he actually had a pretty decent game all things being considered. That being said he still threw two pretty costly interceptions, and took points off the board that likely cost us the game.

I guess the question is do we think he will get better and be worth slogging through some growing pains for?

If you look at the 2nd half performance it's hard to answer the question. The fact of the matter is that we're going to have a lot of game film to see and we don't have to make a decision just yet. We're going to have at least another month come look at this guy and see how he does.

I'm very interested to see him again next week at the Banjo Bowl.

Edited by White Out

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

The ability to throw the ball just doesn't magically appear. It takes years to become an accomplished passer & it always shows in college before the pros. You either can throw or you can't. I just know our passing game looks like no other CFL team even with Nichols playing. It goes full on alien with Streveler throwing.

If you want Matt Nichols.. Boring conservative 0 that puts up 180 passing a game.. I dont think u will get that with Strev. His strengths are different. We started out the game playing Matt Nichols O.. Pocket passer no running.. Get away from that with misdirection etc and we put up numbers. 

Lapo is the problem. 

Just now, Goalie said:

If you want Matt Nichols.. Boring conservative 0 that puts up 180 passing a game.. I dont think u will get that with Strev. His strengths are different. We started out the game playing Matt Nichols O.. Pocket passer no running.. Get away from that with misdirection etc and we put up numbers. 

Lapo is the problem. 

You can't let Chris off the hook. He had really bad pocket presence all game, and had a really tough time reading the D. Unless you want to run a college offense where we pass the ball 10 times a game, he's going to have to actually do some quarterback things

1 minute ago, White Out said:

You can't let Chris off the hook. He had really bad pocket presence all game, and had a really tough time reading the D. Unless you want to run a college offense where we pass the ball 10 times a game, he's going to have to actually do some quarterback things

Nobody tries to pass from the pocket as much as the Bombers with either QB, and the Bombers have the worst passing offense in the league.  Could be a coincidence, but I think the scheme is a problem.

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

well said

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'm not sure it's sustainable, Streveler can't continue to take the amount of punishment he absorbs every game, he goes down and we're looking at McGuire.

He didn't take much IMO, took a slide on one run even.  Fajardo got hit a lot more and it's quite a bit different getting hit trying to throw vs getting hit running and primed for contact.