Chris Streveler - Has your opinion changed?

B-F-F-C

Mine hasn't and that's not a good thing.  Accuracy is just not there and at his age and based on how many years he's played the position.  I don't see that improving.  He still has a hard time reading defences and looking for his 2nd and 3rd options. 

I want him to  succeed because if he can improve his passing game he could be a pretty good CFL QB.  But I just don't see accuracy as something that can be improved by coaching. 

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It's tough to tell if he's a good qb when there are more calls to run the ball then passes and even then long passes are far and few between with this team.

But that's the tell all here. The coaches don't have confidence to move the offence with his arm.  

I think his accuracy is actually a strength.  His mechanics on the deep ball are poor but his mid-range stuff (10-20 yards) is the best we've seen from a Bomber QB since Glenn.  The deep ball is something that can improve.  

Our pass protection in Sask was terrible, Augustine has no idea who to take, our interior OL is struggling with Desjarlais and Hardrick is really struggling.  Streveler hung in there despite that and came back from an awful first quarter.

Streveler is pretty good on the move and good on the scramble.  Our receivers need to work on the scrambles because we missed a few big opportunities there yesterday when Streveler extended plays for 7-8 seconds.

Our protection scheme needs some work, need more max protect with 7 blockers and 2-3 guys in a route on one side of the field, get Streveler on the roll, if pass is there take it, if run is there take it.  We ran very little RPO kind of looks and the ones we did were huge plays, the Lawler pass, the Augustine run.  The thing about those option passing looks is that the D has to defend the back getting the ball, Streveler taking the ball and the pass, all you need is a slight hesitation and we have a ton of space opened up.  The misdirection causes the D to cover the entire width of the field.  When we use it we move the ball, when we don't use it, we suck.  This is with any of our QB's.

Lapo's insistence on straight dropbacks with 5-6 blockers is not going to work.  And that's not on Streveler, you won't see BLM or Harris or Reilly or f-ing MBT running as many dropbacks as we had Streveler run.  It's a scheme that doesn't work.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Wonder how much not having Harris as an outlet checkdown option hurt. 

I dont wanna be mean but imagine No mobility Nichols without Harris. 

The way the offense is designed the back is the safety valve, is the guy to beat the blitz.  Augustine is neither the blocker or receiver to take that role, would like to see Petermann check in as an H-back type blocker on 2nd and longs.

The other aspect of this is, we’re collectively so quick to turn on QBs in this city and we finally have an extremely young QB that has shown he can bare minimum move the ball as well as the incumbent playing a far more difficult schedule so he probably deserves some rope. He absolutely needs to be graded on a different scale than Nichols anyway, who has been in the league forever and isn’t getting any better. 

6 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

But I thought you guys criticized Nichols for using Harris too much on check downs. 

It's not Nichols, it's Lapo.  Although Nichols doesn't get the ball out very quick so he ends up checking the ball down almost routinely.

Our scheme to beat a blitz is garbage...it's basically Harris, Harris or Harris.  We need him to break 3-4 tackles starting behind our LOS, basically make a big play all the time.

Saw some stuff in the 2nd half in Regina that was designed to get the ball out behind the blitz and it worked pretty good.  Hopefully they keep some of that in mind even when Harris is back.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Our protection scheme needs some work, need more max protect with 7 blockers and 2-3 guys in a route on one side of the field, get Streveler on the roll, if pass is there take it, if run is there take it.  We ran very little RPO kind of looks and the ones we did were huge plays, the Lawler pass, the Augustine run.  The thing about those option passing looks is that the D has to defend the back getting the ball, Streveler taking the ball and the pass, all you need is a slight hesitation and we have a ton of space opened up.  The misdirection causes the D to cover the entire width of the field.  When we use it we move the ball, when we don't use it, we suck.  This is with any of our QB's.

You said it..Lapo’s insistence. If he was truly as smart as he thinks he is, we’d have a pretty potent one-two punch at QB. Maybe he has Nichols playing at his potential..but not Streveler.

If Nichols started yesterday we lose. Its that simple. Its also likely Streveler would be starting next week because Nichols is likely hurt. 

Take Harris away.. The O struggles. Nichols put up about 180 yards a game through the air. Maybe 5 on the ground.. Strev put up 160 plus 65 on the ground.. Augustine is not Harris. 

This is pretty obviously not a nichols vs Streveler thing. Its an OC putting square pegs in round holes thing. 

The whole pocket passer BS with Strev to start.. The Augustine up the gut run calls.. The Demski role.. It was just dumb. Our OC is scared. Its not the QB.. Its the OC. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Mr Dee said:

You said it..Lapo’s insistence. If he was truly as smart as he thinks he is, we’d have a pretty potent one-two punch at QB. Maybe he has Nichols playing at his potential..but not Streveler.

I can't imagine Walters is very happy with our offensive output through 11 games, and I know people are going to quote PPG, but our D and teams have both scored and dominated field position most of the season.  If they don't we don't score.  They don't really have any excuse, we have all the players, even our backups are adequate.  Don't need spectacular QBing, just a facilitator.

I saw Strev moving the ball and getting first downs, even owning the TOP for a while. My opinion was that he is a greater threat to move the chains and that has only been reinforced. There were plays where Strev made something out of nothing where, at best, Nichols would have thrown the ball out of bounds if he wasn't clobbered first. I expect Strev will only get better. If he played the first Q the way he played the rest of the game...

Watching teams like Hamilton and Calgary just move the ball at will no matter who is on the field at receiver, running back, OL, QB....but Lapo is a genius?  Damn near every game we go on an extended run of 2 and outs, even the bad teams in the league don't do that.  We've done that consistently over the last 3 seasons.