Labour Day Classic GAMEDAY THREAD

Atomic

35 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I was curious. Lots of criticism of Bighill.

I just don’t see it. Maybe over the season, but last game? 

Having re-watched the game this morning, I keyed in on Adam Bighill and I just don’t understand the trashing of Bighill on this board.

Was he a superstar in the game? No, but it looked like he was was where he was supposed to be. Not that any one of us know where that is in Hall’s schemes.

Is he slower? Maybe. Not that he was fast to begin with.

Is he injured? Maybe. But nothing you could see.

Was he late getting to the ball? Not unusually. 

I saw Powell beat him on a throw out of the backfield, but it was a very good throw and Bighill did make the tackle.

On the last series, I saw execution by Saskatchewan. Not so much from the Bombers.

And yes, Bighill was blocked at the Winnipeg 40 by Awatchie, but it was a good block by the big fellow. Was it a hold? I don’t know. It looked good, but he could have been held and turned.

I urge you to watch the game again and judge for yourself.

Criticism is often warranted, like Fenner earlier in the season, but when it’s unwarranted, it’s remains just an opinion.

Bighill is having an awful season.  We're lucky to have a great interior DL because if anyone gets to our second level we are screwed.  Our D was better without Bighill.  I don't blame him, he's fighting through a very difficult injury and makes the odd play, like the INT that required a bit of savvy and athleticism to make that snag, but he's basically a non-factor between the whistles, he's not really making any plays near or behind the LOS.  Obviously he provides leadership.  Compared to last season it's day and night.  Bighill made several plays at the end of games last season that preserved wins, he caused turnovers, and made plays in the backfield.  We aren't getting much of that.

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Bighill is having an awful season.  We're lucky to have a great interior DL because if anyone gets to our second level we are screwed.  Our D was better without Bighill.  I don't blame him, he's fighting through a very difficult injury and makes the odd play, like the INT that required a bit of savvy and athleticism to make that snag, but he's basically a non-factor between the whistles, he's not really making any plays near or behind the LOS.  Obviously he provides leadership.  Compared to last season it's day and night.  Bighill made several plays at the end of games last season that preserved wins, he caused turnovers, and made plays in the backfield.  We aren't getting much of that.

I think losing  playmakers like Loffler and JSK has had a much bigger impact than people are willing to acknowledge, they were always there to back Bighill up which allowed him to roam more freely.  I'm willing to give Wilson a pass but Hecht contributes almost nothing preventing the run or pass, he adds maybe 1 tackle per game and barely ever gets involved in the play.  I'd rather see an Import at Safety or even young Exume who seems to have much more natural talent and plays with a real fire in his belly.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think losing  playmakers like Loffler and JSK has had a much bigger impact than people are willing to acknowledge, they were always there to back Bighill up which allowed him to roam more freely.  I'm willing to give Wilson a pass but Hecht contributes almost nothing preventing the run or pass, he adds maybe 1 tackle per game and barely ever gets involved in the play.  I'd rather see an Import at Safety or even young Exume who seems to have much more natural talent and plays with a real fire in his belly.

True, Hecht is often a liability.  I'm not sure that has an effect on Bighill, I mean there's no freelancing everyone has a responsibility each down, just see Bighill getting beat a lot or not getting to the ball as much as previously.  Hecht certainly doesn't play in as much of a coverage role as Loffler did, Loffler would often end up covering on top of a slot route 1 on 1.   I think Wilson for JSK is a wash.  JSK had a couple huge games but also struggled a bit.

Wonder what Rempel's injury is.  I think the league needs to tighten up that rule to say that no one can be lined up over the snapper on kicking plays, but I'm not sure that hit was illegal based on the rule as is, would be illegal at any other level of Canadian football, can't touch the snapper until he moves forward to cover the kick.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wonder what Rempel's injury is.  I think the league needs to tighten up that rule to say that no one can be lined up over the snapper on kicking plays, but I'm not sure that hit was illegal based on the rule as is, would be illegal at any other level of Canadian football, can't touch the snapper until he moves forward to cover the kick.

I think it was probably a concussion, he hit his head on the turf after he was bowled over backwards.  Saw him on the sidelines at the end of the game without equipment,

38 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The rule doesn't say you can't hit the long snapper. It says you can't hit him while his head is down and it wasn't in this case.

It's pretty close.  Think his head is mostly up because he's getting rocked and self-preservation having a 300 lb DT full force.  Rule needs tightening, it's a dangerous play, pretty blatant intent to injure, he's not getting that kick, the only purpose is to damage Rempel.

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's pretty close.  Think his head is mostly up because he's getting rocked and self-preservation having a 300 lb DT full force.  Rule needs tightening, it's a dangerous play, pretty blatant intent to injure, he's not getting that kick, the only purpose is to damage Rempel.

Yup. When a player is no where near the play and gets blown up that's where we really need to protect all players and heavily penalize the offender, especially repeat offenders. Refs eyes need to be alert for that, QB's aren't the only players we need to protect.

56 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The rule doesn't say you can't hit the long snapper. It says you can't hit him while his head is down and it wasn't in this case.

FFS  Tburg why don't you just go and drop all pretense- you twist and bend and make up all sorts of excuses defending other teams, slagging the Bombers every time you can and snidly dismissing anyone who calls you out on it... 

It was clearly a cheap shot.. his head was moving up because he was getting trucked... if called that would of given us a fresh set of downs and a 3-7 point swing.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

FFS  Tburg why don't you just go and drop all pretense- you twist and bend and make up all sorts of excuses defending other teams, slagging the Bombers every time you can and snidly dismissing anyone who calls you out on it... 

It was clearly a cheap shot.. his head was moving up because he was getting trucked... if called that would of given us a fresh set of downs and a 3-7 point swing.

Watch the play again. His head is up and that's what makes it OK to hit him. He got blown up because he was off balance. Not so much an intent to injure as an intent to give an opposing player a big hit, which is the Rider players job. Folks are upset that he got smoked, maybe concussed and didn't return to the game. That doesn't make it an intent to injure or a cheap shot.

There's no rule that says you can't hit a guy away from the play. There's no rule that says you can't hit a guy who isn't going to make the play. The rule doesn't need to change. It already gives the long snapper protection as long as he keeps his head down. Want to stop your long snapper from getting hit? Have another player block the middle. Remple was setting up to block.

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Watch the play again. His head is up and that's what makes it OK to hit him. He got blown up because he was off balance. Not so much an intent to injure as an intent to give an opposing player a big hit, which is the Rider players job. Folks are upset that he got smoked, maybe concussed and didn't return to the game. That doesn't make it an intent to injure or a cheap shot.

There's no rule that says you can't hit a guy away from the play. There's no rule that says you can't hit a guy who isn't going to make the play. The rule doesn't need to change. It already gives the long snapper protection as long as he keeps his head down. Want to stop your long snapper from getting hit? Have another player block the middle. Remple was setting up to block.

Bias...bias bias....the officials are biased...the favourite chant. I have a suggestion....how about we wait for the CFL to review the play and make a decision. What a novel idea. 

19 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Watch the play again. His head is up and that's what makes it OK to hit him.

His head was going up. He wasn’t ready. That’s why they have that rule. He’s in a vulnerable position. Do you often see O’Shea as upset as he was? Because O’Shea knows the rules. 

And definitely no, it wasn’t OK to hit him. He took a cheap shot.

But, of course, you’ll spin it because everybody else is wrong. Right?

57 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

His head was going up. He wasn’t ready. That’s why they have that rule. He’s in a vulnerable position. Do you often see O’Shea as upset as he was? Because O’Shea knows the rules. 

And definitely no, it wasn’t OK to hit him. He took a cheap shot.

But, of course, you’ll spin it because everybody else is wrong. Right?

I mean, to be fair ... you’ve been spinning a lot too. Just in a different direction.