Labour Day Classic GAMEDAY THREAD

Atomic

Sacktimonious bastards!

Riders have given up 17 sacks — 10 of which came in two games (Calgary and Winnipeg each had five sacks). Riders had given up only three sacks in a five-game span before allowing five on Sunday.

5 sacks and we still lost?

Horrible, horrible start..

Needed a stop when we had them deep and the old familiar D reared it's ugly head and let them march at will...That was the game right there...On the positive....Jefferson was a madman out there and you can;t lay anything about the loss on his doorstep....Streveler gave it a 110 percent...as much as he was capable of..............Has to play a better passing game  though when we get those yokels here and put the boots to them........Was it my imagination or did Darvin Adams catch an early bus back home during that one....... cuz he sure as hell disappeared

1 minute ago, pigseye said:

That was a 'big boy' game, two really good defences. We should have won but it's LDC and we rarely do. The two missed scoring opportunities are what cost us and both are on Streveler just being inexperienced. We get them two more times here so I'm not too worried. 

I think the other game is at Regina unless I misread the schedule. 

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

Needed a stop when we had them deep and the old familiar D reared it's ugly head and let them march at will...That was the game right there...On the positive....Jefferson was a madman out there and you can;t lay anything about the loss on his doorstep....Streveler gave it a 110 percent...as much as he was capable of..............Has to play a better passing game  though when we get those yokels here and put the boots to them........Was it my imagination or did Darvin Adams catch an early bus back home during that one....... cuz he sure as hell disappeared

IMHO as long as you have Richie Hall as your DC you will not be able to go very far. Maybe a playoff game but it will be a one and out yet again. When you need the defense to make that big stop to win a game Richie Hall is no where to be found.

12 hours ago, Zontar said:

Love how Suitor kept saying "look at the composure" of Fajardo, as if a QB could ever make it past varsity level , if not highschool, if he couldn't handle pressure.

Yes, the home team gets the love during a broadcast and TSN as a league partner should promote QBs but...c'mon Glen.

I thought I might puke with the amount of times TSN showed Fajardo's father.

Pretty sure Streveler's dad comes to all the games as well, maybe they will show him next weekend??

Just now, BBRT said:

IMHO as long as you have Richie Hall as your DC you will not be able to go very far. Maybe a playoff game but it will be a one and out yet again. When you need the defense to make that big stop to win a game Richie Hall is no where to be found.

It's Bighill, he's stunk since coming back and cost us on that last drive. 

Here's my 2 pennies worth:

Our "prevent" defense at the end of the game doesn't work. Rushing 3 guys, and allowing the other team to push the ball down-field is a disaster. That's 2 games we've gassed at the end playing prevent.

Yoshi is playing hurt, and I agree we need to rest him. He's far better than he was playing yesterday. 

I absolutely expect a win in our building next week.

Speaking of playing hurt, Streveler was doing his fair share of limping at the end, hope it's nothing serious.

15 minutes ago, pigseye said:

That was a 'big boy' game, two really good defences. We should have won but it's LDC and we rarely do. The two missed scoring opportunities are what cost us and both are on Streveler just being inexperienced. We get them two more times here so I'm not too worried. 

If we dont botch the second field goal opportunity, we don't get the ball back with that field position and likely dont get that touchdown.

39 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Strev isn’t too blame for Lapo calling for Strev to stand back in the pocket and beat the blitz or for running the ever predictable draw play on second & 24. 

Given the circumstances surrounding that game, it's hard to believe that so many people are tying themselves up in knots over losing on a last second field goal. The team is 8-3 and literally never wins the LDC even when everything is going right for the team. The Banjo Bowl is also far from a must win. Once again, this team will coast into the playoffs and this is the point of the season where surviving injuries and working out kinks are most important. 

That is not to say, however, that there aren't concerns coming out of that game. It's just concerns that we already knew existed. For one, even if it's beating a dead horse, there should be genuine concern at this point that Bighill is either done or pretty close to it. I recognize that injury recovery could be playing a role in his diminished play but he was playing poorly early in the season prior to his injury, is 31 and always relied on his superior athleticism to get by, rather than great angles. The talent on the rest of this defense is elite. He's the weak link.

We also already knew that Lapolice was a disaster and it's frustrating to know that it would be perceived as the true major problem that it is earlier in the season had the defense and special teams not scored an extremely unsustainable number of points during the first 10 weeks of the season. We can probably still count on good field position from both of those units for the rest of the season but to expect and need a score from at least one of those units to win isn't a fair expectation. The gameplan from Lapolice was again an embarrassment. Admittedly, he actually changed things up and we actually moved the ball reasonably well in the second half which was something that was demonstrably not happening with Nichols. Even if most of us want to see Streveler get more chances to throw the ball downfield, it seemed like the gameplan going in was keep him in the pocket at all costs and that just wasn't going to be a success. It seemed like Streveler succeeded far more when the play broke down and he had to improvise. The utilization of talent on this offence continues to confound and this, along with the puzzling gameplans won't stop being an issue while Lapo is the co-ordinator. The lowkey worst thing to happen to this team this season was not allowing Lapo to interview for the HC position in Saskatchewan.

Again, Streveler is far from perfect but we can clearly move the ball and win with him. There was a lot to like about his game today. His first two starts of the season could not have been in more unfavorable situations and there's clearly something to work with there. Whether he ends up being the long-term answer for this team at quarterback remains to be seen but to me the absolute worst case scenario for the long term health of this franchise is having him struggle to the point where coaching and management assumes we can't let Nichols go in the offseason and we're then stuck in QB purgatory for the indefinite future.

12 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

The team is 8-3 and literally never wins the LDC even when everything is going right for the team. 

We won in 2016 and in the overall, since this game first happened in 1955, we actually have the edge in wins. It's only the last 15 years which have been tough. 

Please don't say literally when you mean figuratively. 

I know its dumb but i think the league needs to seriously look at the officiating in these games. Blatant holds resulting in big plays not called..the headshot to Remple.. Thats 15 yards and our ball still.. The head ref cheering for Sask.. It was just BS. Did it cost us the game? Well when u lose by 2, yup it sure did.

Does anyone truly know what a hold is or isnt? It's just so randomly called. 1 team can do it all game with no calls

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We won in 2016 and in the overall, since this game first happened in 1955, we actually have the edge in wins. It's only the last 15 years which have been tough. 

Writers have been using literally when they mean figuratively since figuratively forever. Only recently have people decided that it's so frowned upon as a device, 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I know its dumb but i think the league needs to seriously look at the officiating in these games. Blatant holds resulting in big plays not called..the headshot to Remple.. Thats 15 yards and our ball still.. The head ref cheering for Sask.. It was just BS. Did it cost us the game? Well when u lose by 2, yup it sure did.

Does anyone truly know what a hold is or isnt? It's just so randomly called. 1 team can do it all game with no calls

Calling holding calls is like calling fouls in soccer. At times very subjective and when not called consistently on both teams, frustrating as hell.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Calling holding calls is like calling fouls in soccer. At times very subjective and when not called consistently on both teams, frustrating as hell.

I get the random holds.. Call both teams. But how do u miss the head shot on our long snapper. Just BS. 15 yards. FG range. Riders need a TD to win. 

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Only the last fifteen years ha

I was curious. Lots of criticism of Bighill.

I just don’t see it. Maybe over the season, but last game? 

Having re-watched the game this morning, I keyed in on Adam Bighill and I just don’t understand the trashing of Bighill on this board.

Was he a superstar in the game? No, but it looked like he was was where he was supposed to be. Not that any one of us know where that is in Hall’s schemes.

Is he slower? Maybe. Not that he was fast to begin with.

Is he injured? Maybe. But nothing you could see.

Was he late getting to the ball? Not unusually. 

I saw Powell beat him on a throw out of the backfield, but it was a very good throw and Bighill did make the tackle.

On the last series, I saw execution by Saskatchewan. Not so much from the Bombers.

And yes, Bighill was blocked at the Winnipeg 40 by Awatchie, but it was a good block by the big fellow. Was it a hold? I don’t know. It looked good, but he could have been held and turned.

I urge you to watch the game again and judge for yourself.

Criticism is often warranted, like Fenner earlier in the season, but when it’s unwarranted, it’s remains just an opinion.

10 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Blatant holding by the riders....The refs. either chose not to call any and let the boys play.....but then...when we were moving the ball on a couple of drives, the flag for holding on us suddenly appeared ...Total bull$hit and I hope we don't get that same crew for the banjo

That head ref neefs to be let go for his whole " Saskatchewan.. First dowwwwwwwwwwwwwn " BS. 

47 minutes ago, Goalie said:

In the three decades that I've been watching CFL, I can't think of a single year where I felt the officiating was decent. Often it's been brutal. A lot of fans have just come to accept this, and say that in the end it all balances, out but I'm not so sure of that.

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

That head ref neefs to be let go for his whole " Saskatchewan.. First dowwwwwwwwwwwwwn " BS. 

You're right ...forgot about that one....Did that arse also pull his green pom pom out when he announced that...Oh no bias on that bull$hit for sure......A hole

31 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I was curious. Lots of criticism of Bighill.

I just don’t see it. Maybe over the season, but last game? 

Having re-watched the game this morning, I keyed in on Adam Bighill and I just don’t understand the trashing of Bighill on this board.

Was he a superstar in the game? No, but it looked like he was was where he was supposed to be. Not that any one of us know where that is in Hall’s schemes.

Is he slower? Maybe. Not that he was fast to begin with.

Is he injured? Maybe. But nothing you could see.

Was he late getting to the ball? Not unusually. 

I saw Powell beat him on a throw out of the backfield, but it was a very good throw and Bighill did make the tackle.

On the last series, I saw execution by Saskatchewan. Not so much from the Bombers.

And yes, Bighill was blocked at the Winnipeg 40 by Awatchie, but it was a good block by the big fellow. Was it a hold? I don’t know. It looked good, but he could have been held and turned.

I urge you to watch the game again and judge for yourself.

Criticism is often warranted, like Fenner earlier in the season, but when it’s unwarranted, it’s remains just an opinion.

I've always been curious... Why do you change the font of your posts? 

2 hours ago, ddanger said:

Here's my 2 pennies worth:

Our "prevent" defense at the end of the game doesn't work. Rushing 3 guys, and allowing the other team to push the ball down-field is a disaster. That's 2 games we've gassed at the end playing prevent.

Yoshi is playing hurt, and I agree we need to rest him. He's far better than he was playing yesterday. 

I absolutely expect a win in our building next week.

Speaking of playing hurt, Streveler was doing his fair share of limping at the end, hope it's nothing serious.

There was no prevent.  On the first second down conversion we rushed 6.  If anything they should have been rushing 3-4 and forcing Fajardo to make throws vs 8-9 in coverage and Jefferson and company rushing, over aggressiveness to get a pass rush did them in.  Horrid tackling on the Powell runs was the difference between winning and losing.  That allowed the Riders to get deep into our end and run out the clock.