Labour Day Classic GAMEDAY THREAD

Atomic

Now, admittedly AND sadly, I'm usually the first person to start screaming fire when I get the slightest whiff of smoke, but I'm not worried in the slightest. 

We don't have our starting QB or MOP RB and we barely lose to a team that by all rights should have blown us out of the water. I've lived in this godawful wheatermelon (feel free to use it, but only in the derogative) province to hate them like aids, hitler and mosquitos, and not many things bring me a smirk like watching those fools run off the field like this was the Grey Cup. This might've been their Grey Cup but it's one game and they squeaked by a crippled team. The only game against them that matters this year is our last one.

Don't worry, have a drink, joint, **** or eat some paint chips, it's gonna be fine. I promise.

We got a good player in Augustine, he has a few things to work on but I really like what i say from him today, Jefferson is in a league of his own no matter what the boys at TSN say, whether he gets to the qb pressure him tips balls runs down runners the guy is an absolute beast. The O line was a mess to today but Lapo could of helped them out by rolling out Streveler, he is not a straight back pocket passer.

I don't know how the rest of you feel but I'm getting tired of seeing LaPo call plays that aren't working over & over. Going away from what is working & then during the game we all wonder why? Not using our guys strengths. Fitting square pegs in a round hole. Having Streveler run Nichols offense. Instead of drop backs why didn't we use RPO? My worry is the Bombers will give him a new contract this off season.

I was at a family function and had to watch the game on PVR- it really gives a different perspective when the commercials are edited out and the game just flows. It appears to make the patterns in the game clearer and takes away the one-off plays that make you grind your teeth. Thus:

Streveler did nothing to show that he is or will be a CFL starter.

Bighill blew hot and cold all over the place but cold at critical times.

Why in God's name was Hardrick allowed to remain out there? He was awful.

Augustine looked decent when the O-line allowed him to take more than two steps.

Lawler was good. Adams was invisible.

Our receivers are deathly allergic to downfield blocking after one of the rare receptions by the Bombers.

The Riders were ready for the Bombers.

The fourth quarter collapse by the Bomber defence that allowed the game-winning FG was nauseatingly reminiscent of the end of the Argo game. Ugh.

Shoulda won this game comfortably. The score flattered the Big Blue. The only way they are going to redeem themselves is by curb-stomping the Riders next weekend, and I fear the worst. 

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Shoulda won this game comfortably.

Respectfully, I would counter your argument as follows:

1) Andrew Harris - heart and soul of the team and our leading rusher and MOP candidate, did not play a single snap. On top of that, his suspension was a significant distraction for the team this week.
2) The release of Matthews also arguably could be seen as a distraction.
3) Nichols was out for this game, it was only Streveler's 5th career start as a QB (I think).
4) They lost by two points on Labor Day, the 'Riders have won 13 of the last 14 LDC games going into today. They. own. Labor Day.
5) As much as I hate to admit it, the Riders are 2nd in the West - they have a good team - it's not like they just lost to BC.
6) Mosaic Stadium is not friendly to visitors, we just have to make sure IGF is just as loud and hostile.

All things considered, this team had every excuse to rollover and die being down 10-0 in the first, with the place going nuts, a backup QB, a backup RB and a venue that in recent memory has been an absolute house of horrors for this franchise. They fought hard, came back, and almost pulled it off. Valiant effort but that's how the chips fall sometimes. Go out there and get after 'em in the Banjo Bowl.

25 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

His blocking is an embarrassment and his one or two good plays ever six weeks is becoming hardly worth it. Our receivers on the whole are fairy underwhelming but he’s the worst of the bunch. 

How they are using Demski makes no sense.  Had him as lead blocker for screen pass, used him as wing/H-back lead blocking for Augustine getting blown up repeatedly, trying to use him as a slot on crossers.  He should be the field WR and sometimes come into the backfield but with very limited blocking assignments.

Good to see Petermann get some reps and I think he could be a difference maker along with Wolitarsky if they are ever utilized.

I think we just traded a two point loss for invaluable experience. 

Naturally, I would have cheered a victory but Streveler had a full game’s experience, and that will definitely help in the future.

As the game wore on, I believe the team saw what Streveler can do..and responded. 

I would say that the only thing holding him back is himself, but, with our OC..I know better.

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

I actually thought Streveler was pretty good, all things considered. They moved the ball fairly well when Lapo started calling intermediate crossers and calling designed QB runs. It was the vile runs up the gut for 2 yards on every first down that killed the team’s momentum. 

First down, run up the middle with a RB that is better in space...short gain. Killed me every time (though they did get some nice gains). Follow that up with a Streveler rollout that cuts the field, giving him 1-2 reads only, leading to a throwaway or QB pressure. Classic.

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

Of course it's possible that his hamstring injuries are still bothering and hampering his play, I mean it looked like Hardrick was playing on one peg today but he continued to gut it out.

There is a wise old adage in sport.....what is the difference between a player playing injured and a poor player?  Nothing they both look like crap.

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

If I'm Sask i feel lucky to win.. A team without its starting QB and star feature player aka Harris.. A team who OC had a lobotomy b4 the game. Winning by 2 against our backups. Sask aint nothing special

Check the rosters how many other teams have had to play without their starting QBs including Sask? 

Unfortunate that we didn't hold onto the lead.   As always very hard for us to win when we visit the Riders.  

I'll be more interested next week to see how we respond.   If we lose that game as well then yuck things won't be pretty on these boards.    If we win then all is good.    I'd assume Saskatchewan will be playing against Edmonton and Calgary a few more times which won't be easy games for them. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Streveler did nothing to show that he is or will be a CFL starter.

Why in God's name was Hardrick allowed to remain out there? He was awful.

Augustine looked decent when the O-line allowed him to take more than two steps.

Lawler was good. Adams was invisible.

Streveler - yes, perhaps we all got a little ahead of ourselves. He’s not quite ready for prime time. Had moments though.

Hardrick - finally someone says it! Every time there’s pressure it’s from the left DE. I watched him closely and he really struggles with any speed rush off the end. Kind of essential to block as a right tackle. Where’s Foketi when you need him?😀

Augustine - impressive all around. That stutter step was nasty

Lawler - I think he was reading the love fest on MBB for Matthews and sent a little message as to why he was cut 

Edited by M.Silverback