Bombers release Chris Matthews

trueBlue83

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Every year we blah blah about mid season NFL airlifts...  it’s not Kyle Walters style - no one is coming...

He went after Matthews last year but they couldn't fit him in the budget, apparently. Walters definitely would bring someone in if they felt it was the right fit. 

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He went after Matthews last year but they couldn't fit him in the budget, apparently. Walters definitely would bring someone in if they felt it was the right fit. 

Hey I'd be fine with Marken Michel...  but until I see someone actually signed, I won't get my hopes up

Walters tests the waters on a few guys for sure...

On 2019-08-29 at 2:03 PM, 17to85 said:

Tim Burke was the worst head coach I have ever seen this team have and that's saying something. 

Great defensive coordinator, absolutely terrible head coach. 

You know someone is a real "fanatic" when they didnt want to fire him and preferred waiting till end of season.  Burke was a cancer on top of terminal cancer.

Ex. Down 30 points at half he takes a knee on the last play.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I wonder if it makes a difference if we sign a receiver. I am under the belief that Chris Matthews is still a good receiver and this offence may have limitations getting a big play, all star receiver the touches he needs.

Of course their are a variety of reasons to dispute and argue this.. but still it’s a thought

Just now, AKAChip said:

Not a big Michel guy. He’s fine but he’s pretty clearly not much more than a deep threat. He doesn’t improve this offence much. Zylstra is the guy that really transforms this offence. Put him in Whitehead’s spot and bring Lucky in for the odd gadget play. 

Michel more of a YAC guy.  Not sure he'd be a great fit for our offense as the ball doesn't move out quick, we don't screen a lot to the receivers.  We should be getting the same kind of play from Whitehead.

We need more of the big body slot who plays like a big body slot, we've been trying to fill that spot with softies like Bowman and Matthews the last couple years.  Could also put Wolitarsky there.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Michel more of a YAC guy.  Not sure he'd be a great fit for our offense as the ball doesn't move out quick, we don't screen a lot to the receivers.  We should be getting the same kind of play from Whitehead.

We need more of the big body slot who plays like a big body slot, we've been trying to fill that spot with softies like Bowman and Matthews the last couple years.  Could also put Wolitarsky there.

Been saying a long time that Wolitarsky is better suited for the slot rather than wasted getting two targets a game way out wide. The use of the talent in this offence has always been weird. 

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

We got lots of speed on offense. What we need is a big tall receiver who can go up and make the catch...

oh, nevermind

It's a bit rider like isn't it? we should go after _________. (Team gets him, he gets 37 catches for four hundred thirty seven yards. "bust" then..... We should go after________"

or "why can't this team find a receiver"

at some point you have to figure it's not the receivers that are the problem. Although some members have been saying that for a while.

Duke Williams would be really nice too. I suppose it would be asking a lot for 2 receivers. Maybe Williams and Zylstra? Would the Bombers be one of the teams with the most cap space considering  Nichols six gamed and Mathews released?

Edited by Dirty30

2 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

Duke Williams would be really nice too. I suppose it would be asking a lot for 2 receivers. Maybe Williams and Zylstra? Would the Bombers be one of the teams with the most cap space considering  Nichols six gamed and Mathews released?

Those two are probably looking at pro-rated $250,000 contracts with outs at the end of the year,  3 or 4 balls per game may not be cost effective for the Bombers or attractive to either of them.  I think Duke has been through this cycle twice before so he may be quicker to come back than Zylstra and finally give up chasing the NFL dream.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Our dollars are just as green though and we are a first place club

Sure, but these guys will all have multiple offers. If you're a receiver would you want to be in our offence or one that could use your talents and may get you another NFL shot?

4 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Been saying a long time that Wolitarsky is better suited for the slot rather than wasted getting two targets a game way out wide. The use of the talent in this offence has always been weird. 

Wolitarsky could be a Jason Clermont or Andy Fantuz type of player in the slot. Id love to see him get a chance there.

Edited by Blueandgold

26 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I doubt either Zylstra or Williams come back up here.

26 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I doubt either Zylstra or Williams come back up here.

I would be surprised if the Bombers sign either of them.  Williams will get another nfl look or PR and Zylstra would take Edmonton over Winnipeg IMO

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Sure, but these guys will all have multiple offers. If you're a receiver would you want to be in our offence or one that could use your talents and may get you another NFL shot?

I say the Bombers offence.... because they are going to be one of two teams who play the most games this year.... an the Bombers win the last game.