Bombers release Chris Matthews

trueBlue83

10 hours ago, Mike said:

We’re giving ourselves enough flexibility to sign NFL guys if a fit is there.

Yeah if Matthews isn't adding anything to the team we may as well use the money to sign a guy that will.  150k (or whatever) could get you that last piece of the puzzle for a cup run.

11 hours ago, pigseye said:

This is the same receivers coach who cut Collins Jr. and Stafford, excuse me if I don't have full confidence in this decision. Looks more like a move by a desperate coach who has no answers for the passing game, again, not the first time either for this guy but we were stupid enough to hire him again. 

I'm with you that the Bombers don't have a great recent track record finding import receivers. But, in fairness, both of those players mentioned were cut/traded by multiple CFL teams other than the Bombers. Montreal had Stafford around three times. Some players just don't fit with a team at a given time. Some need time to develop, and end up doing it elsewhere. It's not hockey where you can send a player to the Moose to develop. Matthews had two catches per game average. Not good enough, especially to justify a high'ish salary. 

4 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Depends on what you read I guess. Some reports are saying he was good in the locker room and on the sidelines. Depends on who you talk to.

Where is the line there. Between good teammate but perhaps troublesome off it? Guess when u have 12 catches for less than 200 yards so far. If Matthews was putting up more numbers perhaps he'd still be here. 12 catches for 180 something isnt worth the 180k and off the field troubles? 

Edited by Goalie

28 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Where is the line there. Between good teammate but perhaps troublesome off it? Guess when u have 12 catches for less than 200 yards so far. If Matthews was putting up more numbers perhaps he'd still be here. 12 catches for 180 something isnt worth the 180k and off the field troubles? 

Exactly. Randy Moss was a knucklehead. But also the best receiver in the NFL at the time. So, you put up with that kind of knucklehead. 

59 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Some kinda interesting stuff in here. Man, if a coach had to be called on a Saturday night to come get them........that's really bad news.

what a couple of chuckleheads. I just hate listening to these kinds of shows. These clowns thinking that their opinions are gospel. 

That's not related to any of the content, just the way they carry themselves on air. No wonder radio is dying. 

16 hours ago, Carlos Harper said:

That seems like something that wouldn't have taken too much digging to discover before signing him. Best to have nipped it in the bud though if that was the case.

I think that was in reference to the basement of Eaton's which is now part of the hockey arena/ shopping centre area which has a somewhat transient clientele who can look a bit sketchy at times. I don't think this was a reference to a situation like the QB we had for a bit who turned out to be an addict. Name escapes me right now. 

4 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

I think that was in reference to the basement of Eaton's which is now part of the hockey arena/ shopping centre area which has a somewhat transient clientele who can look a bit sketchy at times. I don't think this was a reference to a situation like the QB we had for a bit who turned out to be an addict. Name escapes me right now. 

Max Hall

4 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Reggie Slack. Went to the Regina because they like to collect our addicts.

3 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Reggie Slack. Went to the Regina because they like to collect our addicts.

Mini Mack was the best addict that the Bombers employed to the best of my knowledge. I don't remember him going green but if he did I probably would have wiped it out of the memory banks with the Men in Blue pen.