Bombers release Chris Matthews

trueBlue83

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

How do you excuse Lawler though - if this is about production, he really only had one good game against Ottawa

A part of the motivation for this decision might have been to send a message to our other import receivers that no one is untouchable.

11 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

On my drive in to the hospital this morning I listened to Bob Irving say he had heard rumblings about Mathews over the last 2-3 weeks...... it made me laugh at that tweet that somebody posted where Irving adamantly stated he works for CJOB and not for the Bombers.  I thought if you work for CJOB then why didn't you report the rumblings about Mathews ?  Lol.

Because Bob Irving isn't a rumour monger. He reports the facts not speculation and conjecture. 

I highly doubt that this cut was mainly because of his production.   I said it before it wouldn't' surprise me if he was cut after the *incident* and of course a lot of people thought that was impossible.   My guess is that they gave him a 2nd chance ,   his attitude or off field problems over shadowed his limited production on offense.    

I'm guessing this was a move to keep the locker room cancer free.   

What I hope is that they either sign an NFL cut ,  or they restructure Jeffersons deal  and extend him using the money saved on Matthews!

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Lawler isnt making 250 k 

I would expect a significant part of Matthews 250k was paid as a signing bonus... plus we're not in SMS trouble with all the injuries...

Maybe there's someone else coming - but probably behind the scenes issues, I'd say

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I would expect a significant part of Matthews 250k was paid as a signing bonus... plus we're not in SMS trouble with all the injuries...

Maybe there's someone else coming - but probably behind the scenes issues, I'd say

Sounds like it wasn't. Jeff Hamilton seems to think its because as a Vet hes due his full salary after the 1st. Pretty apparent its lack of production for 2 much money. 

If ppl are looking at production vs salary... Im surprised He lasted this long. 

Edited by Goalie

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Matthews wasn't making 250k..not even close to that

33 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Sounds like it wasn't. Jeff Hamilton seems to think its because as a Vet hes due his full salary after the 1st. Pretty apparent its lack of production for 2 much money. 

Well, as others have said, the way our offense is structured NO offensive player is going to be a big production player in this offense (except Andrew Harris). Rightly or wrongly, it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Well, as others have said, the way our offense is structured NO offensive player is going to be a big production player in this offense (except Andrew Harris). Rightly or wrongly, it is what it is.

Except Darvin Adams is a big production player on this offence...

Regardless, production vs Salary vs off field distractions vs Vets guaranteed salary = he gone. 

I think part of his release is off field distractions.. I think part of it is money vs production.. I wouldn't be surprised if there were personality clashes.. Matthews just seemed disinterested to me. Was he doing all the little things? Who knows. 

Edited by Goalie