Bombers release Chris Matthews

trueBlue83

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I confess that I was a bit rattled by Matthews' release coming so soon after the Harris debacle. I was excited to see him signed by the Bombers, but between injuries, lackadaisical performance on the field, and his salary, I do not know if the team had much choice. I am hoping that these two events do not unsettle the team to the point where we get swept by the Riders. WE do not know all the behind-the-scenes stuff, and Walters has done a damned good job of managing the roster. I also hold some hope that there is a coup signing soon. 

I have never been in a professional locker room but I expect a guy who is not living up to the paycheque is resented a bit and giving him the boot might actually be seen as a positive move. 

Hate to be a 'told ya so' but  when I and a few others compared this signing to the Adarius Bowman bullcrap we were chastised .... It looked like a comparable situation ...signed ...no production...seemed to have no interest...and now cut...I hope Walters has learned his lesson on bringing in these guys who are past their best before date.....I have to admit I was taken in with the Mathews signing but realized....hey this looks a lot like the Bowman failure ...Took Walters quite awhile to catch on....we now however have lost a lot of development time we could have had with another receiver...Hope Darvin is back soon and/ or the next man up Sheed Bailey can bring it

11 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Honestly don't think Bombers 'gave him the boot'...  

Unless you move Lawler to the PR, there's no way to fit Matthews on the roster with a healthy Adams

Probably asked him to be a healthy scratch and he asked for his release I'd say

No way would I have continued rostering Lawler over Matthews. Lawler has been invisible for weeks.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

We knew that signing Bowman last year was a stretch, but Matthews should still be in his prime as a receiver at 29. How could someone fall so far so fast? That he hasn't been grabbed immediately by one of the talent-poor teams has to say a lot about him. Too bad.

Just now, Tracker said:

We knew that signing Bowman last year was a stretch, but Matthews should still be in his prime as a receiver at 29. How could someone fall so far so fast? That he hasn't been grabbed immediately by one of the talent-poor teams has to say a lot about him. Too bad.

He was released this morning and could be looking at a few offers, weighing his options. It's not like he's on waivers. 

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

No, it doesn't. It's been all of a few hours. Also, you have no idea if other teams have been in touch with his agent.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

No way would I have continued rostering Lawler over Matthews. Lawler has been invisible for weeks.

Either way, I still would have kept him around or traded him...  Bombers can't be in SMS trouble this year with all the injuries

12 receptions in 10 games. Invisible for the most part in games he did suit up for. Problematic off the field...I think we'll be okay.

In all seriousness, this offence doesnt need an elite receiver. Just a serviceable, capable tier 2 receiver, speedy slots, and that's fine - which is exactly what we have.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

12 receptions in 10 games. Invisible for the most part in games he did suit up for. Problematic off the field...I think we'll be okay.

In all seriousness, this offence doesnt need an elite receiver. Just a serviceable, capable tier 2 receiver, speedy slots, and that's fine - which is exactly what we have.

How do you excuse Lawler though - if this is about production, he really only had one good game against Ottawa

On my drive in to the hospital this morning I listened to Bob Irving say he had heard rumblings about Mathews over the last 2-3 weeks...... it made me laugh at that tweet that somebody posted where Irving adamantly stated he works for CJOB and not for the Bombers.  I thought if you work for CJOB then why didn't you report the rumblings about Mathews ?  Lol.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

He’s played in six games not ten and started the season injured. 

He hasn’t really had an opportunity to get going with our lack of passing O, he started off hot against BC and we inexplicably stopped going to him. 

I don't like this move at all unless we have another move in the pipeline.